Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   i have a question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/i-have-question-55927/)

pontiac163 01-20-2012 04:22 PM

i have a question

If you perchase a handgun from a swapmeet ( they have them everywhere here). Can you carry without registering it in your name? What if it turns out to be stolen or used in. Crime? Do you get into trouble for buying it? I know you can do quick serial number checks on web sights but they don't have %100 that its clear. I'm asking because almost all of my relatives have bought a handgun from a swapmeet stand. I just want to be safe if I ever find a good deal somewhere

willfully armed 01-20-2012 04:27 PM

Your location might assist an answer

hiwall 01-20-2012 04:31 PM

No one can answer your question as your location is secret. USA Federal law says it is OK. In most of the United States it is OK. We can't possibly know if it is legal in your state or country as where you live is a secret. If you are living in Antarctica I believe it is legal.

pontiac163 01-20-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed
Your location might assist an answer

I live in Arizona. I know some laws but not alot

Paladin201 01-20-2012 05:34 PM

Generally, unless its a very cut and dried thing, I don't like to give "is it legal" advice. I could be wrong and end up causing you a world of hurt. Your questions are best asked of the state/county/local authorities where you live. And ask the question at the time, or immediately before the transaction. Gun laws are in a constant state of flux all over this country and what is legal in one place today, my not be tomorrow. Or the other way around.

danf_fl 01-20-2012 05:44 PM

The best online source for legal answers is in your state's statutes.
Do a google on AZ state statutes.

I would not want to find out the hard way that the firearm was stolen or such. (Paperwork is your friend. If the seller will not provide paperwork of some kind, then say "No Thanks!")

hiwall 01-20-2012 10:26 PM

I have bought and sold several here. It is legal as long as you are not a felon and are a resident. But I am not a lawyer, I am just an old man.

trex1310 01-20-2012 11:23 PM

Insist on a bill of sale. If the seller is not willing to give you a
bill of sale, pass on the purchase because something isn't right.

gollygee 01-20-2012 11:34 PM

In Texas, face-to-face sales between Texas residents are legal without any paperwork. But, most that I have talked to, recommend you always insist on a bill of sale, whether you are buying or selling. Some even say they will only deal with those that have a concealed handgun license. You certainly need to check your laws for yourself, but these sound like good ideas even if not required.