I don't understand - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I don't understand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I shoot .44 mag. and .41 mag. revolver pistols. I am looking at getting my first 1911 type pistol this year. It will be in .45 ACP. IMO the 9mm. round is wafting of too much estrogen to get the (god forbid) job done.

The human creature, being a soft bodied animal, is best delt with a heavy, slow, hollow or soft point, large diameter projectile IMO.

Besides for practice and plinking in a 1911 you can get a .22 conversion if you want to.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #22

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post

2) The 45 can break your rist if you don't hold it tight.
...really?

Old 02-27-2010, 11:40 PM   #23

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Bear I agree with you 100%. I'm guessing a large portion of this people are intimidated by the the very same myths that I heard along while back ago like :

1) you can't hit anything with a 45 more than a couple of feet, it is too inaccurate because of the size of the bullit.

Also i think alot of people don't have the confidence in their own marksmanship, so they often go for the more firepower. Guess 7 or 8 rounds don't give them enough comfort.
I haven't seen any claim here that the .45 isn't accurate, and have never, ever heard that before. As for the recoil on any .45, if you can't handle it, you surely aren't going to be able to shoot a 9mm.
Are you a plumber, by any chance?
+p+ in my 9mm kicks just like a .45 because it's plastic. I'm guessing a small portion of this people don't do much handgunnery...

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 02-28-2010, 12:52 AM   #24

Again my brotha the word is "myths". You and I know this is BS. Don't shoot the messenger.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 02-28-2010, 01:27 AM   #25

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Bear I agree with you 100%. I'm guessing a large portion of this people are intimidated by the the very same myths that I heard along while back ago like :

1) you can't hit anything with a 45 more than a couple of feet, it is too inaccurate because of the size of the bullit.

Also i think alot of people don't have the confidence in their own marksmanship, so they often go for the more firepower. Guess 7 or 8 rounds don't give them enough comfort.
Those are two of the dumbest things I have ever heard in my life. Lord I'm glad I don't know ANYONE that believes such idiocy...

Old 02-28-2010, 01:33 AM   #26

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
When comparing a lot of compact and sub compact pistols, it seems that the 9mm versions are as big and have as long of a barrel as the .45s. Now having shot .45s for years, and teaching others, the recoil of a .45 is not bad. It's not nearly as bad as a lot of people make out. In fact it is not something that should affect the choice of pistol caliber.

So why do a lot of people choose a 9mm when they could have a .45 the exact same size & length? I've been researching the actual sizes of pocket guns and compact guns. Except for the Rohrbaugh and Kahr the .45 versions are just as small as the 9mm versions. Somebody please explain to me why a smaller bullet is preferable when you can have a .45. And what about the .40? Why choose a 9mm over the .40 in the same size gun. Note that I'm talking about small concealable defensive guns only-not target guns or full size duty pistols. Yes,I realize I'm opening up a HUGE can of worms but am curious about this.
The cost of ammunition also has alot to do with the choice as well. I recently tried to get ammo for my xd40 which sells for 22 a box, none on the shelf. Looked at 9mm 13 a box and there were around 40 boxes on the shelf.
I agree that T.V. as well has a lot to do with it, i personally like the 40 and would like a 45. Speed is ok but the hydrostatic shock of the 40 and 45 make up for the lack of speed.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
I haven't seen any claim here that the .45 isn't accurate, and have never, ever heard that before. As for the recoil on any .45, if you can't handle it, you surely aren't going to be able to shoot a 9mm.
Are you a plumber, by any chance?
+p+ in my 9mm kicks just like a .45 because it's plastic. I'm guessing a small portion of this people don't do much handgunnery...

This is a bit of humor to inject but maybe its true too, you cant shoot a 45 like a gangbanger....oh and they cant afford a good 45 and if they try to take one they seem to die of lead poisoning.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
We all know what it's about with most 9mm fanboys.....capacity.

I know, Bear, you're gonna talk about the XD with 13+1 or a Para, but I betcha the capacity thing is what is driving most of them to 9mm.
Lonyaeger, 13+1 isn't that much. Looked at the Springfield xdm 9mm and they have a 19 round magazine. 12 round in the mag of my xd 40 is heavy enough when it comes to concealed carry, guesse you can look like the cool kids with your pants off your ass carrying 19 rounds, cause it will be hard to keep the pants up.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 01:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Not a compact, but when a buddy wanted an XD similar to my XD45 (but not in green), he went with the 9mm for more affordable ammo. I'm sure it wasn't recoil or capacity, as he has lusted after the XD45 at the shooting pit, heavily. Dude is young and frequently broke, so it makes sense for him.

Of course, he also likes to take his girl with him to shoot, and the .45 scared her a bit with the noise.

I love to have my wife shoot with me so i purchases the Walther P22 for her so she would go and not be hesitant to shoot. This way she will catch the bug and let me get the big guns i long for. It made a nice valentines present, bought her guns and roses.
0213001748.jpg   0213001750.jpg  

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!