I don't understand - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I don't understand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 01:07 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5500 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
If you look at a to of other forums you will see an almost endless barrage from the " more learned" members of "If it's a first weapon get a 9mm because ammo is cheaper to shoot and holds more". I really don't believe this is all that good an idea being many handgun owners are not collectors or want more than one or two weapons and it just defeats one of the most important things to think about when buying a handgun. It has to fit you . and a 9mm is just not the one size fits all weapon many might think it is. Especially when looking at compact weapons. Muzzle flip can be pretty snappy with a compact 9mm especially if it's got a lighter poly frame. I have more than a few friends that have bought a small 9mm only to find out they liked shooting my Commander length 1911 more. Come to find out that little bit bigger barrel was not such a big deal after all. So now that have a little Glock or XD becoming a safe queen or just gets traded off to get something they really want.

By all means, if a 9mm is your cup of tea then run with it. But getting one because some gun rag, or forum guru says it's what to do is just as bad as getting a 45 when that was not what fits you better. New shooters need to get their hands on as many different weapons as they can. Find a friend that has a few, go to a range that rents. Most people will know what works for them best after they pick up a few different pieces and send a little lead down range. That's what I did many years ago and ended up a 1911 junkie. But I always remembered my Dad telling me no need to fix things that are not broke. I have other type weapons and in a few calibers. But what I shoot best is a nice 1911. So that's what you will see on my hip most occasions.
spot on. couldnt agree more.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:53 AM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That's what it boils down to: The gun that suits your needs. Firearms as tools. Old shooters need to get their hands on as many firearms as they can, also. In violation of many, many laws, my brothers and I shot dad's Colt 1911 and his S&W Model 10 regularly, and without supervision most of the time. Given one shot to end an engagement, I really don't care if I'm sending a 9mm or a .45. If it hits in the vitals, it has served its purpose. If I'm in a gunfght, I want a 9mm single-action. I didn't come to that conclusion due to a magazine article, I simply considered the dynamics of a "shoot-to-live' scenario. More rounds on target faster wins. When the 1911 guy is preparing for his second re-load, I'm still on Mag1. Not to put too fine a point on it, but the average medulla oblongata can't distinguish between 9MM and .45. It's just a matter of getting to it first. I carry +P, so penetration isn't a concern. Strapping on a .45 because it's John Waynes favorite sidearm make less sense. If both rounds are lethal, why not arm yourself with the one that actually permits you to be offensive?

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts

Bear, I honestly don't know. The first pistol I owned personally was my XD45 and I've never looked back. At the time you could get a box of 45 for about $10 and 9 was $6 or so. I was in college and price was not a concern, I was shooting 150-200 yds a week and did so for about 6 months, rarely missing a week.
I think people are somewhat scared of the 45 or think it's just a HUGE round that they don't need. The wonder 9 mentality is still there thanks to the TV and movies. A lot of people think you can't conceal a 45(those who carry a 45 I'm sure have had that conversation with at least 1 person) so they don't even look. Could be a couple of reasons....

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #14

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Because once you objectively separate yourself from caliber snobbery, in the real world with modern premium defensive ammo there is no sigiificant difference in performance between the .45 the .40 and the 9mm.

Because 9mm pracice ammo is almost half the price of .45.

Because no one makes a .45 that is as slim gripped as a Kahr, Walther PPS or SA EMP so thare are many folks that find the grip size of a single stack 9mm a lot better fit than any .45 anyone can come up with.

Because a 9mm in the hands of someone that actually knows what they are doing is 1,000x better than a .45 that doesn't get shot/carried for months at a time because of the above reason.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Because no one makes a .45 that is as slim gripped as a Kahr, Walther PPS or SA EMP so thare are many folks that find the grip size of a single stack 9mm a lot better fit than any .45 anyone can come up with.

Are you saying and EMP is signifcantly thinner then a 1911 45?

Because a 9mm in the hands of someone that actually knows what they are doing is 1,000x better than a .45 that doesn't get shot/carried for months at a time because of the above reason.

This aurgument could be made for any caliber, it's irrevivant here.
Just some thoughts....

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
So why do a lot of people choose a 9mm when they could have a .45 the exact same size & length?
There are places in the world where .45ACP is not available, or downright illegal. E.g. when I used to live in Denmark, the law there says that any caliber where the bullet exceeds 10mm in diameter is illegal.... So that means that we couldn't shoot e.g. .44MAg/.45ACP, etc.
So that's why we always shot 9mm, and I just got used to it. It worked for me. Now that I live in South America, where basically any caliber goes, I am looking to change to .45 ACP.

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 02-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #17

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post

Originally Posted by Wambli

Are you saying and EMP is signifcantly thinner then a 1911 45?

This aurgument could be made for any caliber, it's irrevivant here.

Just some thoughts....
1) The EMP frame is DEFINITELY shorter front to back in the grip making it friendlier to those with smaller hands.

2) No the argument cannot be made for any caliber. Only those that exhibit enough penetration and performance to be suitable for SD. I would not be making the same argument about .25 or .32 caliber guns. This is very relevant to this discussion because the original poster asked why would anyone get a 9mm over a .45. My point is that if you know what you are doing there is not a rats rectum difference between the two as defensive calibers. I carry a .45 when I feel like it and at times when concealment objectives dictate it I carry a 9mm and I feel no less armed. Several folks that are VERY close to me are armed with 9mm and I don't loose a moment of sleep thinking they are not capable of taking care of business should the need arise.

Caliber snobbery between the 9mm and the .45 might have had it's place decades ago when HP ammo was in it's infancy and still is an issue with FMJ in the military but TODAY in the real world with the modern ammo available to us it is at best a rather dated discussion and at it's worse the darling of gun store counter lore and newbie arguments.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

my first centerfire handgun was a Ruger p95 i chose 9mm because of magazine capacity, price, and ease of aquiring ammo, ive since moved up to a 1911 for primary carry and have never looked back, but i also own several 9mm still and shoot and carry them frequently when my .45 is just out of the question, I.E. extremely hot summer days...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #19

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Price of .45acp is double that of 9mm.
9mm holds more rounds
9mm WILL do the job
9mm is more readily available (worldwide).
Not justifications or my reasons personally, but it is what it is.
Agree 100%... especially in the Self Defense scenario
Bear, sorry to stir the pot here but... is a matter of preferences, mane people just think that a 9mm is a weak sissy round... I bet any of the people that thinks that way are willing to stop a 9mm hit on center of mass just to prove their theory...
Don't get me wrong, but for me it's like say "why you drive that sissy Ford Explorer when you can drive a F450"... both will do the same job, but the .45 is more expensive round, less capacity guns, less firepower that weight more (comparing let's say a G17 loaded with a G21 then add 4 more rounds to the scale)... this is an endless argument, I know that any can say that you will need less shots fired with a .45... you can use the same argument and carry a S&W 500 or 460... many people just don't see that 9mm is so effective as a .45, I don't complain or bash anybody that carry any gun for self defense in any caliber larger than .380... 9mm, .38, .357, .40, .45 are outstanding choices for SD and nobody should be criticized for that choice.... all of them have their pros. and cons.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 02-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #20

Bear I agree with you 100%. I'm guessing a large portion of this people are intimidated by the the very same myths that I heard along while back ago like :

1) you can't hit anything with a 45 more than a couple of feet, it is too inaccurate because of the size of the bullit.

2) The 45 can break your rist if you don't hold it tight.

Also i think alot of people don't have the confidence in their own marksmanship, so they often go for the more firepower. Guess 7 or 8 rounds don't give them enough comfort.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending