I don't understand
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I don't understand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default I don't understand

When comparing a lot of compact and sub compact pistols, it seems that the 9mm versions are as big and have as long of a barrel as the .45s. Now having shot .45s for years, and teaching others, the recoil of a .45 is not bad. It's not nearly as bad as a lot of people make out. In fact it is not something that should affect the choice of pistol caliber.

So why do a lot of people choose a 9mm when they could have a .45 the exact same size & length? I've been researching the actual sizes of pocket guns and compact guns. Except for the Rohrbaugh and Kahr the .45 versions are just as small as the 9mm versions. Somebody please explain to me why a smaller bullet is preferable when you can have a .45. And what about the .40? Why choose a 9mm over the .40 in the same size gun. Note that I'm talking about small concealable defensive guns only-not target guns or full size duty pistols. Yes,I realize I'm opening up a HUGE can of worms but am curious about this.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Bear, I totally agree with you on this.

IMO, I think it has a lot to due with mainly the social influence mainstream and overexposure of the 9mm, i.e. TV, law enforcement use, military use and influence, personal use and preference, lack of real hands on shooting comparison, capacity, and the increased availability and price of the 9mm round on the store shelves. Just to name a few.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 02-25-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it's a first gun, affordability of practice ammo may be a concern.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #4

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We all know what it's about with most 9mm fanboys.....capacity.

I know, Bear, you're gonna talk about the XD with 13+1 or a Para, but I betcha the capacity thing is what is driving most of them to 9mm.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
We all know what it's about with most 9mm fanboys.....capacity.

I know, Bear, you're gonna talk about the XD with 13+1 or a Para, but I betcha the capacity thing is what is driving most of them to 9mm.
That would be my guess as well...

Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Price of .45acp is double that of 9mm.
9mm holds more rounds
9mm WILL do the job
9mm is more readily availiable, .45acp was getting rare for a while.

I can't think of many .45's as small as 709slims,kahr's, walthers'etc..

Not justifications or my reasons personally, but it is what it is.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
If it's a first gun, affordability of practice ammo may be a concern.
Not a compact, but when a buddy wanted an XD similar to my XD45 (but not in green), he went with the 9mm for more affordable ammo. I'm sure it wasn't recoil or capacity, as he has lusted after the XD45 at the shooting pit, heavily. Dude is young and frequently broke, so it makes sense for him.

Of course, he also likes to take his girl with him to shoot, and the .45 scared her a bit with the noise.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Bear, I totally agree with you on this.

IMO, I think it has a lot to due with mainly the social influence mainstream and overexposure of the 9mm, i.e. TV, law enforcement use, military use and influence, personal use and preference, lack of real hands on shooting comparison, capacity, and the increased availability and price of the 9mm round on the store shelves. Just to name a few.

Jack
I'm in total agreement. I recall when the first S&W "wonder nine" made it's debut in the LE world in the 70's. It was marketed stressing high capacity and at the time, were selling only to law enforcement. I bought and carried a first generation model 59 for several years, and traded it for a .40 S&W (4006) as my primary duty gun when those hit the market. Now, in retirement, I've gone back to my roots, with .45 acp. in a compact shooter, S&W 457 stainless.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Capacity and ammo cost. Time getting back on target. If bore diameter was the sole issue, I'd be carrying a .500, (The recoil is not that bad) but I can't afford to shoot 200-400 rounds of .500 per month. I shoot a lot because I know that 7 9mm holes are collectively larger than 2 .45 holes, if that makes sense.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 02-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If you look at a to of other forums you will see an almost endless barrage from the " more learned" members of "If it's a first weapon get a 9mm because ammo is cheaper to shoot and holds more". I really don't believe this is all that good an idea being many handgun owners are not collectors or want more than one or two weapons and it just defeats one of the most important things to think about when buying a handgun. It has to fit you . and a 9mm is just not the one size fits all weapon many might think it is. Especially when looking at compact weapons. Muzzle flip can be pretty snappy with a compact 9mm especially if it's got a lighter poly frame. I have more than a few friends that have bought a small 9mm only to find out they liked shooting my Commander length 1911 more. Come to find out that little bit bigger barrel was not such a big deal after all. So now that have a little Glock or XD becoming a safe queen or just gets traded off to get something they really want.

By all means, if a 9mm is your cup of tea then run with it. But getting one because some gun rag, or forum guru says it's what to do is just as bad as getting a 45 when that was not what fits you better. New shooters need to get their hands on as many different weapons as they can. Find a friend that has a few, go to a range that rents. Most people will know what works for them best after they pick up a few different pieces and send a little lead down range. That's what I did many years ago and ended up a 1911 junkie. But I always remembered my Dad telling me no need to fix things that are not broke. I have other type weapons and in a few calibers. But what I shoot best is a nice 1911. So that's what you will see on my hip most occasions.