I can just have one handgun, what should it be? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I can just have one handgun, what should it be?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^ Yes, but down here, i can drive around with my SKS or my XD45 loaded, on the seat beside me in my car either fully exposed or completely concealed, with no permit, legally. I like that; you never know when you are gonna see a zombie out in the middle of nowhere. No permit to purchase, but do need a permit to carry outside your home/land, car, or place of business (not sure how far that last one stretches).

Come on down; the heat ain't that bad.

Edit* In all honesty, i don't think i would be driving around with my SKS on the seat; i wouldn't want to hear a lecture on "commie guns".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 04-05-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #32

Likes Given: 4

Something I don't think anyone has mentioned is to go to a range and rent every gun you can afford. Whichever feels best and points the most naturally for you is the winner. If you have a ten round limit you are right to stay away from 9mm but another good point that was brought up is that you could get something with a .22 conversion slide and shoot all day on the cheap. All 1911s almost will be able to take a conversion to .22. I personally would say to try 1911s and sig full sizes before you make a decision. I absolutely love my 1911s and p220

Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #33

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Come on down; the heat ain't that bad..

You kiddin me?! Worst the summers get up here are 85 and a lil humid...I went to gulf shores for spring break...I couldn't live there haha.

In all honesty I'll probably just move to Vermont after College.
I go to school in Missouri and the laws aint too bad out here.

As for the handgun, I'm planning on a Sig P220 in .45

Old 04-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #34

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I forgot about the stoopid 10-round magazine limit. For that reason, alone, I'd like to change my suggestion and add to the 1911 chorus. There is really no reason to choose a double-stack gun and use limited mags. I would think a single-stack .45 would fit the bill very nicely. Plus, with only one gun, the 1911 is very easy to keep running under any circumstances because you can VERY easily buy all the extra parts you would need and repairs are EASY to make. Many other platforms are much more complicated to make your own repairs.

1911!!

Now I haven't made that choice for myself, but then I can fill two safes with firearms, no problem.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 04-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNYResistance View Post
New York state granted me the privilege and honor of a pistol permit for my home. The also make it difficult to get more than just one handgun.

I was thinking of a glock 30 for home defense, carry if I have some situation where carrying is more important than following stupid laws, ie, I am threatened and need to travel, or if I get my Florida ccw and head down south for vacation.

I like the 30 because it has a light rail, good power with a 45 acp, and plenty of firepower with 9 rounds,

It is also small and compact for a 45.

I was thinking about the 27 but no light rail makes me nervous in the home.

357 is a hell of a gun, but something of a white elephant, if it's small enough to carry, it is usually hard to control. If it is full sized and good to fire, hard to carry.

So any ideas?
Good choice on the G30. I have two, both Gen 3, one standard, the other SF. I like the SF the better of the two...

I highly recommend having Trijicon tritium night sights be put on. I put +2 extensions on the two mags that came with it, and then supplement with 13rd mags.

For ammo, I highly recommend Corbon's 185gr SCHP, or Magtech's 165gr SCHP.

For ankle holster, DeSantis, along with their 2 magazine ankle carrier. For more convenient carry, Bladetech's IWB for the same weapon. Believe me, the Bladetech works beautifully for my G30, G30SF, G21, and G21SF... Very comfortable at the 4 o'clock position... For belt wear, I prefer angle adjustable mag paddle pouches from Fobus...

If you need shoulder harnesses, I highly recommend West Woods Landing.

Believe it or not, the G30s are quite nearly the equal, accuracy wise, of the G21s. My magazine selections run from the 10rd, short, magazine for the 30's concealment aspects, up through the +2 extension from Lone Wolf Distributing, to the 13rd factory standard, to finally, the Arredondo +4 extension, which gives you 17 in the magazine, and 1 in the spout, for a total of 18rds... Very reliable, with hundreds of rds down range...

For me, the Glock system is the ultimate handgun...

Hope this info helps, as I sometimes I'll "wear" anywhere from two, to four pistols, depending upon where, and when, I go...

Good luck,

Glockcurmudgeon, out...

PS, I use Streamlight TLR-2 and Insight Technologies M6X units- both are superb, but I tend to leave the laser designators off. If I have to shoot, I want instant target identification. The ability to only have the weapon light "flash," rather than stay on, is a must. The length of time between identification and caressing the trigger is the same, as when using the laser. Yeah, I know, the laser doesn't give you away, but the smart way, is to illuminate, engage, and MOVE!... After you take the shot, they'll know where you are. Unless, you get a longer, threaded barrel from LWD, and jump through hoops, and get a Gemtech .45acp Blackside w/LID device... You need the longer barrel, and the LID, to have the proper amount of pressure to cycle the weapon... Don't forget to get the thread protectors in black...

G, out...

PPS, Recoil of the G30's or the G21's, is much lighter than other pistols, because the bore's line is lower than they are. Moment of impulse is straight back, into the web of your hand. This spreads felt and actual recoil over a larger area. What this means is simply this- faster, more accurate follow-up shots, so if you have to use the FTS drill, it's dead nuts on... Glock's design is a life saver... And if you're worried about not having a safety on the sides of your weapons, just remember to keep your fingers away from the trigger!

Glockcurmudgeon, finally, really, out...

"You can kill a free man, you can't enslave him." -Robert Anson Heinlein- American Patriot

Shot placement is king, yes. But penetration is queen, and a wide wound channel is the ace in the hole. -Cuda66

Μολὼν λαβέ (Molōn labe!)

Last edited by Glockcurmudgeon; 04-06-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Clarity and expansion of theme

Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #36

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
^^^ Yes, but down here, i can drive around with my SKS or my XD45 loaded, on the seat beside me in my car either fully exposed or completely concealed, with no permit, legally. I like that; you never know when you are gonna see a zombie out in the middle of nowhere. No permit to purchase, but do need a permit to carry outside your home/land, car, or place of business (not sure how far that last one stretches).

Come on down; the heat ain't that bad.

Edit* In all honesty, i don't think i would be driving around with my SKS on the seat; i wouldn't want to hear a lecture on "commie guns".
Same here in Florida, but I keep my SKS truck gun out of sight.

There's just more sunshine down south, and it's warmer in the winter.

Up "nawth", when it rains for 20 minutes, it's cloudy for three days.
Q: What follows three days of hard rain in NY/NJ?
A: MONDAY!!

OH, GOD, NOT the "commie gun" lecture again ...

Old 04-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #37

Likes Given: 4

Browningboy you are gonna love your p220. I have a p220 dark elite and it's as accurate as my kimber team match. Also the ergonomics are incredible even better than the 226 IMO

Old 04-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #38

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittsam159 View Post
Browningboy you are gonna love your p220. I have a p220 dark elite and it's as accurate as my kimber team match. Also the ergonomics are incredible even better than the 226 IMO
Glad to hear that! I've only handled a 229 and I did like it. Now I just gotta find one for around $500-$600 haha

Old 04-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #39

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

you're biggest problem is that many of the most reasonable dealers won't ship to NY.,HI.,MASS.or CALIF. Most on line dealers are almost begging to sell ten round mags for almost all the guns named,so forget capacity. Depending on budget,there are some great deals out there on certified pre-owned Glocks and Sigs.The Sig 250 fire control was designed for multiple slide and frame sizes and multiple calibers.Although sometimes difficult to find at a good price CZ's,SIG's.standard 1911's and even the lowly KELTEC PF9's and P11's have 22 caliber conversion kits.S&W M&P's have come out in 22,and a conversion kit can't be far behind.Ditto for RUGER who has a 22 version of their SRC's and LCR's fresh on the market. Besides NY.City is an easy place for home defense. If they come from inside,by the time they get through the six or seven locks and the FOX bar or locking bar you already have on your crime free city door,they will probably be too old to rob you.If you live above the sixth or seventh floor on a properly secured NY.domicile, just open up the window and reach through the bars with a broom stick and push them off the ledge.But wait first and check to see what the law is on broom stick permits.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 321 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Hard to get Broom Permit to quote the movie abyss "most people dont appreciate what it takes to be a cast-iron-bitch. It takes years of training & preparation, ergo, brooms are hard to come by and often worn as a badge of honor.

Moderators - Warning this "is" Humor.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 04-10-2012 at 06:44 PM.