Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hydrostatic Shock... The Real Reason For Practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6676 Times on 4039 Posts
Likes Given: 7940

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
That is because the offensive content was deleted and replaced by my quote.
Darn it! I miss all the fun!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #12

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
A "double tap" only doubles your chances of hiting a vital organ.
I'm simply pointing out that none of what the OP has suggested, is in the article.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #13

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Because you can't shoot two bullets out of a handgun at the exact same time. Buckshot is more than one projectile hitting the BG at the exact same time as more than one projectile is exiting the gun at once. I would imagine at best, if the BG isn't moving and lets you just shoot at him, you can get two rounds into him within a second or so from a handgun.
I have some 38spl rounds with multiple projectiles lol

But that's besides the point

That's what I was wondering if it was the time lapsed between shots that would make it unable to be replicated.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #14

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
A "double tap" only doubles your chances of hiting a vital organ.
...or doubles your chances of missing completely?

This is in no way a comment on ROBO's proficiency but...

I see lots of guys at my gun club working on the double tap. Only ever seen 1 that compelled me to ask hey, how'd you do THAT?

Most seemed to be all overr the place, even at 7'.

Most who've shot with me would say I'm "pretty good" and 1 round per second is about as fast as I can shoot and KNOW that ALL my rounds are impacting my target.

I'm not downplaying the effect of rapidly putting rounds into a threat but I wish more shooters would focus on accuracy first and allow speed to follow. Especially us non LEO CCW folks. Situation will always dictate but we don't get to choose where and when we may need our gun.

All that we can control is WHERE our rounds go, and every one of them WILL have a lawyer attached to it.

Here is to shooting straight and hoping we never need to do it for real.

Tack

Old 03-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Hydrostatic Shock Explained...

Hydrostatic shock or hydraulic shock describes the observation that a penetrating projectile can produce remote wounding and incapacitating effects in living targets through a hydraulic effect in their liquid-filled tissues, in addition to local effects in tissue caused by direct impact. There is scientific evidence that hydrostatic shock can produce remote neural damage and produce incapacitation more quickly than blood loss effects. Proponents of cartridges that are "light and fast" such as the 9x19mm Parabellum versus cartridges that are "slow and heavy" such as the .45 ACP round often refer to this phenomenon.

Human autopsy results have demonstrated brain hemorrhaging from fatal hits to the chest, including cases with handgun bullets. Thirty-three cases of fatal penetrating chest wounds by a single bullet were selected from a much larger set by excluding all other traumatic factors, including past history.

In such meticulously selected cases brain tissue was examined histologically; samples were taken from brain hemispheres, basal ganglia, the pons, the oblongate and from the cerebellum. Cufflike pattern haemorrhages around small brain vessels were found in all specimens. These haemorrhages are caused by sudden changes of the intravascular blood pressure as a result of a compression of intrathoracic great vessels by a shock wave caused by a penetrating bullet.

It has often been asserted that hydrostatic shock and other descriptions of remote wounding effects are nothing but myths. A recent article in the journal, Neurosurgery, reviews the published evidence and concludes that the phenomenon is well-established.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 03-08-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #16

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

First off, I saw a video of a guy shooting a SA revolver that could draw & shoot two balloons, several feet apart, so fast that it sounded like he only fired one shot.

Secondly, from what I've read from different sources, including from medical professionals, the only sure way to immediately stop a threat is by a paralizing shot to the spine. Even a catastrophic hit to heart/lungs leaves the brain with about 15 seconds of oxygen & enough time for them to still kill you even though they are technically dead.

Of course some will just quit with the first hit, whether it is a disabling one or not.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
First off, I saw a video of a guy shooting a SA revolver that could draw & shoot two balloons, several feet apart, so fast that it sounded like he only fired one shot.

Secondly, from what I've read from different sources, including from medical professionals, the only sure way to immediately stop a threat is by a paralizing shot to the spine. Even a catastrophic hit to heart/lungs leaves the brain with about 15 seconds of oxygen & enough time for them to still kill you even though they are technically dead.

Of course some will just quit with the first hit, whether it is a disabling one or not.
A shot to the head from a .50 BMG ... Pretty much an immediate stop. But then any headshot should suffice Wife always wants to know that in movies why they never shoot the BG's in the head but always seem to shoot at the torso even when they're wearing body armor... I just tell her it's the movies and just roll with it

Gotta say though, it sure would be nice to have some of those movie guns that never seem to run out of ammo ... LOL

NRA Life Member

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 03-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #18

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Yeah, ya ever wonder why the shots that go all the way through & splatter blood on a glass or mirror behind them, but the bullet doesn't break the glass or mirror?

Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Yeah, ya ever wonder why the shots that go all the way through & splatter blood on a glass or mirror behind them, but the bullet doesn't break the glass or mirror?
LOL... That's Hollywood for ya ..

NRA Life Member

Old 03-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #20

Liked 1111 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Quote:

Depends on how doped up they are and what they are on at the time also . I think this is where a larger caliber has benefits sometimes, Knockdown K/E and letting the air out helps keep them from getting back up quickly