Hurts to shoot - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hurts to shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 580 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 183

I would surmise that the average man's hand size tends to make the smaller grip frame handguns of any type be less than comfortable to shoot. On a Super Blackhawk Ruger for instance, I prefer the smooth factory stocks,, my standard frame Blackhawks and my Redhawk are fitted with Pachy's. To each his own, experiment whenever possible. For me,, the most uncomfortable pistol to shoot is my little single shot .45/.410 derringer. It stays in the survival kit and is not pleasant at all, just too little for that ctg. My dream pistola is a Freedom Arms .500 Wyoming Express,,, loaded down until I can adjust to the piece. A good set of dies and good data can help one find a load in ones comfort range and still have ample power in my opinion.

Good shooting,
Jeff

Old 09-08-2009, 02:53 AM   #32
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Most recently I traded for a S&W 500 with an eight inch barrel. It is a beast, good fortune the ammo is so expensive, it give me an excuse not to shoot it all that much at one time. The friend who traded it to me got it for a debt owed then watch Utube vids and didn't want to shoot it. We made the trade for a ruger P95 and a moseburg 500 tact shotgun. On paper I came out ahead, in real life he got the better deal.

Older I have a Firestar 40 S&W in the safe that is just ugly to shoot, first shot might be on target but no chance for a follow up. I traded it for a set of Craiger wheels a long time ago. I also have a Davis Arms 38spl derringer, I shot once and put even deeper into the gun safe, I think I paid $30 for it 20 years ago and still think I over paid by $25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 09-08-2009 at 02:59 AM.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:31 AM   #33

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Shot a friends S&W Nightguard series .44 mag cant remember the model but damn it was really "Spiffy" to shoot...

Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazurd View Post
Shot a friends S&W Nightguard series .44 mag cant remember the model but damn it was really "Spiffy" to shoot...
Nightguard 44 Mags can be rough to shoot. It's similar to my 329PD, which is down right painful to shoot with 44 Mag ammo. I much prefer to shoot 44 Specials in my 329. You may want to try them out on your Nightguard...

Old 09-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #35

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My buddy used to have a S&W sigma .40 that was wicked uncomfortable to shoot. It was a moral imperative that he get something better.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #36

Liked 96 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 155

My S&W 638 is NOT a gun you enjoy shooting at the range. 38 Special is uncomfortable, 38 +P is even worse as one might expect. It is an excellent concealed carry gun for me however.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #37
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1017 Times on 478 Posts
Likes Given: 522

I'm not recoil shy when it comes to handguns probably swinging a hammer for 30 + years killed most of the nerve endings in my right hand and I killed most of them in my left hand with the freaking hammer!
But without a doubt the single nastiest firearm I have shot was a 378 Weatherby mangleum!! Mike Tyson couldn't have hit he harder! After the first shot I was disappointed in myself for not holding on to it tighter by the time I got to the third shot I was disappointed that I had been foolish enough to pull the trigger after the second shot!! I have experience with a few of the big bores 458 win, 416, etc and and they all recoil heavily but the 378 WM got my attention the fastest

Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #38
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6727 Times on 3582 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscho View Post
My S&W 638 is NOT a gun you enjoy shooting at the range. 38 Special is uncomfortable, 38 +P is even worse as one might expect. It is an excellent concealed carry gun for me however.
just a fyi... the last post in this thread was almost 4 years ago.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #39

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I guess today is the day of resurrected threads! It also appears to be a day of startling coincidence! As happens, just today, shortly before finding this very post, I took a moment and put 22 rounds through my Kahr PM40. I did some quick "present from concealment and pound two targets" drills. Then I did some "How fast can you make head shots on two targets?" drills. My had was throbbing. A friend showed up and I handed it to him. He popped five rounds out of it and handed it back. It's a great weapon to have in an emergency, but it's not a range gun. Little blasters like that, the lightweight .38s, the tiny .380s, etc. are, IMHO, experts' guns. They are for people who will shoot enough other pistols frequently enough to have the basics honed and muscle memory in place for when they whip out the tiny of tinies in that dark moment of greatest need.

... Old threads never die they just ... oh, wait, yes they do. Sorry, carry on.
redscho Likes This 
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #40
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8663 Times on 5168 Posts
Likes Given: 11413

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
just a fyi... the last post in this thread was almost 4 years ago.
Not anymore.
redscho Likes This