Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Hurts to shoot (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/hurts-shoot-17375/)

NGIB 08-26-2009 06:38 PM

Hurts to shoot

We've all had that experience, a handgun that is just plain uncomfortable to shoot. What's it been for you?

Mine was a Kahr PM40, their pocket model. I shot about 25 rounds of range fodder and it wasn't pleasant but not to bad. I then loaded up a mag of hot SD ammo, Hornady TAP I think, and that little beast flat hurt to shoot. I sold it not to long after and found something a bit less obnoxious...

meek 08-26-2009 06:44 PM

I have a Rossi .44 mag lever action that digs into your shoulder worse than anything else I've owned. It's butt is just thin enough to work it's way into the bone. The metal butt plate doesn't help either. I've never really shot an uncomfortable hand gun but most revolver get so far of point that it's almost not worth buying larger gages.

SGT-MILLER 08-26-2009 06:44 PM

The PA-63 I had with stock springs. Tends to sting a little after awhile.

robocop10mm 08-26-2009 06:48 PM

The cure is wax paper.

It keeps your candy az from sticking to the seat. Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Jo da Plumbr 08-26-2009 06:53 PM

Never met a handgun I didn't like.

But then I've never shot anything real small. My Star 9mm is the most compact I've ever shot. It twists a bit but is still a nice shooter.

NGIB 08-26-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 151148)
The cure is wax paper.

It keeps your candy az from sticking to the seat. Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Ahhh, OK :confused:

Mark F 08-26-2009 07:14 PM

My Smith & Wesson AirLite 329PD is down right painful to shoot with Magnums. It peeled the hide off my thumb on the second shot.

I put 500 Magnum grips on it, and it's a little better... now its 12 shots before skin is peeled off.

skullcrusher 08-26-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meek (Post 151142)
I have a Rossi .44 mag lever action that digs into your shoulder worse than anything else I've owned. It's butt is just thin enough to work it's way into the bone. The metal butt plate doesn't help either. I've never really shot an uncomfortable hand gun but most revolver get so far of point that it's almost not worth buying larger gages.

What's a gage?

Gojubrian 08-26-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 151138)
We've all had that experience, a handgun that is just plain uncomfortable to shoot. What's it been for you?

Mine was a Kahr PM40, their pocket model. I shot about 25 rounds of range fodder and it wasn't pleasant but not to bad. I then loaded up a mag of hot SD ammo, Hornady TAP I think, and that little beast flat hurt to shoot. I sold it not to long after and found something a bit less obnoxious...

Large bore derringers....ouch!

IGETEVEN 08-26-2009 08:41 PM

If it hurts to shoot it, it does not belong in my stable. I will only train and shoot on a firearm that I can control, not the other way around. That being said, it would have to be the .600 Nitro Expressor or.458 Winchester Magnum. I fired it a few times at an exhibition at one of the ranges here. Never would own one, even just for a collection piece.

Jack