Huh? Decibel level of 9mm, 45acp, 12ga...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Huh? Decibel level of 9mm, 45acp, 12ga...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Huh? Decibel level of 9mm, 45acp, 12ga...

Something goes bump in the night and you have a 4.5" 9mm, a 5" 1911 in 45acp, and a 12gauge shotgun all sitting there next to you. You are equally proficient on all 3 and can hit equally well.

Of course no ear protection since it is your hallway!

Which one do you pick up, merely on the basis of how much it will decimate your ears shooting it unprotected 1-4 times in your hallway?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7344 Times on 4420 Posts
Likes Given: 9072

I don't own any of those guns posted but I'd shoot the one I think will stop the threat the best. The noise is a minor factor, to me, in a moment like that.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #3

Liked 710 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I don't own any of those guns posted but I'd shoot the one I think will stop the threat the best. The noise is a minor factor, to me, in a moment like that.
Agreed, I'll pick up a snubnose 45-70 if it's handy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Hearing is a non-factor in this case. Of course the noise/flash is one reason I'd never have a snubby 357mag laying around as a primary HD option, but temporary hearing is a minor concern in the moment...even with the potential to be a bit more than "temporary". I believe you're a music teacher, which would understandably place more concern on protecting your ears.

I'll choose the 12ga if I intend to hunker down. I might prefer a pistol if I'm going to roam around a bit and investigate (because there's really no telling where such a walkabout would take you...to your car?...up the street?..into the neighbor's yard?). Handgun caliber would not matter...anything 9mm or better, with a medium to full frame.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Shots fired "for real" do not sound like much. The brain has a way of shutting down unwanted/unneeded stuff in a time of crisis. Auditory exclusion is the term that is used to describe the phenomenon. Many people describe hearing law "popping" sounds and no ringing of the ears after shooting large handguns in enclosed spaces.

Tachypshychia is another phenomenon that occurs. Time seems to slow down to a crawl because the brain is processing iniformation at a very rapid pace.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1152 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Shots fired "for real" do not sound like much. The brain has a way of shutting down unwanted/unneeded stuff in a time of crisis. Auditory exclusion is the term that is used to describe the phenomenon. Many people describe hearing law "popping" sounds and no ringing of the ears after shooting large handguns in enclosed spaces..
kinda like hunting, you barely hear your shot, and it never affect you like when target shooting.

Quote:
Tachypshychia is another phenomenon that occurs. Time seems to slow down to a crawl because the brain is processing iniformation at a very rapid pace.
ive exprienced this several times. its so crazy. feels like you can see and remember everything.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #7

Liked 2551 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

I'd be more concerned what's going to do the least damage to

the house, my hearing would be the least of my concerns,

when the time comes.

My personal ballistic tests on wood, plywood, laminated

particle-board, underlayment,

cans, and the like, have shown me that a .45, of the

ones mentioned, would probably spend it's terminal energy

best in an intruder...

Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #8

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Shots fired "for real" do not sound like much. The brain has a way of shutting down unwanted/unneeded stuff in a time of crisis. Auditory exclusion is the term that is used to describe the phenomenon. Many people describe hearing law "popping" sounds and no ringing of the ears after shooting large handguns in enclosed spaces.

Robo' Right...

I was fortunate enough to never need to drop the hammer during my service but I have dropped many deer, most with a 30-06 and no hearing protection.

I don't remember any that resulted in ear ringing or any other adverse effects...

That's not to say there's no damage, very well may be but I've not noticed it.

I do however keep my .357 SP 101 "truck gun" loaded with .38 Special because I just know touching off a .357 Mag in an enclosed cab would be painful.

I'm sure you could google decibel ratings and I would thing the 12 G loaded with anything but slugs would be the lowest reading.

Tack

Old 07-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:

Wow, this is good! I'm just trying to figure out if I should have my 1911 5" or my XDM9 4.5" by my bed each night. I really like my hearing. (sweeper22, I'm very impressed with your perception and memory!)

Tachypsychia is a good word.

BTW, this thread isn't about the features of the actual weapons. That stuff is in a million other threads. This one is about the BOOM in your room. Which BOOM messes you up less?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #10

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Wow, this is good! I'm just trying to figure out if I should have my 1911 5" or my XDM9 4.5" by my bed each night. I really like my hearing. (sweeper22, I'm very impressed with your perception and memory!)

Tachypsychia is a good word.

BTW, this thread isn't about the features of the actual weapons. That stuff is in a million other threads. This one is about the BOOM in your room. Which BOOM messes you up less?
Honestly Chris, I think factory workers, helicopter crews, and avid concert goers have a greater risk of hearing loss/damage than shooter who religiously use hearing protection while training and take the occasional unprotected shot/shots in self defense or at game animals.

I'm no expert bit I've always heard that it's "sustained" high decibles and not the occasional blast that causes permanent injury.

I've not met many shooters, hunters, or cops with hearing problems unless they were north of 70 YO. I have however, had to shout my conversations at every earthwork subcontractor I've ever hired. Jackhammers and heavy equipment seem to do far more damage than dumping deer in the field or goblins in the hallway.

Tack