How's that safety work? - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How's that safety work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Yeah, "honey" needs a revolver going forward.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Ok, wife doesn't carry often, but she was going into an area where she wanted to make sure she carried... especially after yesterday while walking to work, she had three kids on bikes that rode back and forth by her until she stood right in front of them and fronted them, with a frozen water bottle... she can't carry at work.
Uh.... If she can't carry at work, and she walks to work -- where is she supposed to put the gun when she gets to work? Other question is: Did those three kids actually threaten her -- and were they REALLY kids, as in adolescents, or were they teens/adults you and she consider as "kids"?

To this nearly-50-year old, anyone younger than 38 is a "kid".........

Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default Por Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Based on my observations after a career in rescue work, I would much rather be shot by a .380 than a .22 mag. In fact, given a choice, I would rather get hit with a 9mm than a .22 mag. Ballistics numbers are great comparison points, but when you get to see as many flesh and bone incidents as I have, you come to realize that the 22 mag is a mean little mama.

Edit: If you are dead set on a .380, try out a Sig P 238. It's a totally different weapon from your LCP.
OK, I have to ask why vs 380 ? Why over 9mm ?

I like the Sig 238 but didn't feel comfortable w it locked & cocked in my pocket so I went w LCP w CT laser.

I'm a big fan of the 22 Mag but critical defense makes 380 & 9mm ammo as well.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1012 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by glibshoot View Post
Uh.... If she can't carry at work, and she walks to work -- where is she supposed to put the gun when she gets to work? Other question is: Did those three kids actually threaten her -- and were they REALLY kids, as in adolescents, or were they teens/adults you and she consider as "kids"?

To this nearly-50-year old, anyone younger than 38 is a "kid".........
Day before was the issue with the kids. They did not directly threaten her, but more appeared to be "casing" her. They were nearly adult males, dressed like wanna be thugs, made two passes by her on their bicycles like they were trying to get up the nerve to maybe snatch her purse that was across her body. As they were coming around for the third pass, that's when she fronted them and they quickly backed down and left.

The following day she had to go into a situation where she just felt a lot better carrying.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1012 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
but being aware of your surroundings is even more critical.
This is my personal failure. My stature has a tendency to intimidate people, so I have never developed a well honed awareness. My wife was mugged a couple of decades ago, and her awareness of her surroundings is {now} amazing. She is also a great read of people. At Christmas time we were going through a parking lot, she was head down in her purse, I was using my long legs and powering away from her. We got about 20 feet apart and two adult males were heading straight for her, so she picked up the pace to catch up to me and they literally turned around. Did they lose the location of their car in the rather small parking lot, or did they have nefarious intent? We'll never know the answer to that one.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Day before was the issue with the kids. They did not directly threaten her, but more appeared to be "casing" her. They were nearly adult males, dressed like wanna be thugs, made two passes by her on their bicycles like they were trying to get up the nerve to maybe snatch her purse that was across her body. As they were coming around for the third pass, that's when she fronted them and they quickly backed down and left.

The following day she had to go into a situation where she just felt a lot better carrying.
Ok, thanks for clarifying. I've had that happen to me a couple times, and each time the kids just wanted to ask a question. When I KNOW that I'm going to be in a "scary" part of town, I have learned to either have a good knife on me, or carry a good walking stick; the stick can be shoved in the spokes of a bicycle wheel or used to knock someone off a bike and to the ground (or whip the end up into their crotch....), and you know what the knife is for.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
OK, I have to ask why vs 380 ? Why over 9mm ?

I like the Sig 238 but didn't feel comfortable w it locked & cocked in my pocket so I went w LCP w CT laser.

I'm a big fan of the 22 Mag but critical defense makes 380 & 9mm ammo as well.
Why the .22 WMR over .380 and 9mm? We called it real world testing. When the majority of people shot once with a .9mm are capable of walking out to your truck you tend to look down on it as a defense round.

I wouldn't carry a P 238 in my pocket, either, but condition 1 has nothing to do with it. I've seen cases of Glock leg long before the Glock was even invented. It can happen with anything including revolvers if you don't pay attention. No, snagging the hammer when I most needed to draw would be my concern. I carry mine cross-draw as a back-up.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
In my opinion, avoiding the fight is the most important thing you can do even if you aren't undergunned. You want to avoid that fight in any case, I would think. But if you can't avoid it in any way.........
You are absolutely correct. Avoiding the fight is the only way to go if given the choice. Unfortunately life often makes demands on us that lead us into difficult situations. If you are forewarned you should make appropriate adjustments to compensate for the risk.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I agree, avoid a fight by any & all means necessary. Dark isolated places are targeted for reason, learn to avoid them.

If you have to defend yourself, a gun is a tremendous equalizer and has allowed more than one person to realize the error of their ways.

A 22 mag from a sub 2" barrel is approx 1,000 fps. 45 gr Critical Defense
A 380 from a LCP is just under 1,000 and is 90 gr. Critical Defense 102 gr GS

.224 vs .355

I am not discounting your experience, a Green Beret told us you never know who you can count on when in combat. An old adage says its not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. For humans, this can be compounded by drugs to the point that they can be late to their own funerals.

Yet, all things being equal, similar velocity, double the weight and 58% larger diameter prior to expansion - I carry my LCP more than my 22 Mag derringer. Just my .02

My brother is LEO and he has DAO revolver for BUG and off duty. He shares your concern for hammers getting caught up or impeding his draw. I am not a believer and really prefer the option to go single action for accuracy. Probably should have started another thread for this...

Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #30

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Gonz;
I am a fan of the .22 Mag, but I agree with you. That said, the features of an arm in .22 Mag may offer significant benefits over the .380. If the .22 Mag is what someone'll ACTUALLY carry becaue of its size, weight and simplicity for example, then that's the one to go with because it'll actually be on them when wanted. I'd rather see a .22 Mag on the OP's huney ("especially if she's hot" he said like WC Fields) then find a .380 in her nitestand...