Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How's that safety work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
"That's what puzzles me about ads for concealed carry classes which say they have "loaners" available. Who'd take a class with a firearm they haven't used? "
When I was teaching I always had at least one auto and one revolver available as loaners. Sometimes people would forget their gun or ammo, sometimes they just wanted to try out a different one. Sometimes I would suggest a different gun if I seen they were having trouble with the one they brought with them. Many would bring guns that belonged to other people.

I guess that'd work. Here, the qualification at the range includes being able to show you safely & efficiently operate the pistol. The instructor is not allowed to aid you in loading, clearing jams, etc. For some, operating an unfamiliar pistol may be a piece of cake, but for some I've seen at the range, forget it!

Old 05-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #12

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
My wife carries a J frame in 22 mag. Whenever I have to take a trip and leave her alone I leave a big bore revolver in her night stand. I have too many guns to teach her the safety on all of them.
Rick;
These are a great approach. Get the Mrs. a brick of the Hornady 45 gr. Critical Defense .22 Mag for her carry. Practice with the half-as-expensive stuff. Fire the sev en rounds out quarterly, clean, replace.

The OP's wife needs the same setup!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-26-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 512 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Rick;
These are a great approach. Get the Mrs. a brick of the Hornady 45 gr. Critical Defense .22 Mag for her carry. Practice with the half-as-expensive stuff. Fire the sev en rounds out quarterly, clean, replace.

OP's wife is incredibly accurate with her Bersa .380 and out shoots her husband with her 9mm Accuracy with .22, depends on who's been shooting more recently. We joke around, in the case of a home invasion, she gets the guns, I get the phone.

I love and hate the LCP, it's incredibly light, and has decent accuracy, but it kicks like a mule. throwing in a pocket before going on a bike ride, or in her case, a fanny pack.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #14

Liked 1419 Times on 818 Posts
Likes Given: 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Rick;

I wish my wife could handle a .380. She can't rack the slide on any of my autos. 22 mag was the best we could come up with that she could fit in her purse. She carries 12 pounds of crap in her purse but insists on carrying a lite gun. I dont get it. We had a steel framed 357 mag that she could shoot. But it made her purse too heavy!!!!! I am just glad that she carries something. And she does practice with it. She has a laser too.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #15

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

OK Rick, but now that the gun and caliber is determined, optimize the effectiveness with the best ammo you can to do that. I understand your skepticism of the .22 Mag in a snub-nose. Do what you can for the Mrs. as mentioned.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1739 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I wish my wife could handle a .380. She can't rack the slide on any of my autos. 22 mag was the best we could come up with that she could fit in her purse. She carries 12 pounds of crap in her purse but insists on carrying a lite gun. I dont get it. We had a steel framed 357 mag that she could shoot. But it made her purse too heavy!!!!! I am just glad that she carries something. And she does practice with it. She has a laser too.
Based on my observations after a career in rescue work, I would much rather be shot by a .380 than a .22 mag. In fact, given a choice, I would rather get hit with a 9mm than a .22 mag. Ballistics numbers are great comparison points, but when you get to see as many flesh and bone incidents as I have, you come to realize that the 22 mag is a mean little mama.

Edit: If you are dead set on a .380, try out a Sig P 238. It's a totally different weapon from your LCP.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 512 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Doc,

After listening to the guy that did the caliber study, shot placement is more important then size, especially when it comes to knock down capability.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1739 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Doc,

After listening to the guy that did the caliber study, shot placement is more important then size, especially when it comes to knock down capability.
Just remember, shot placement is a three dimensional concept. Your shot(s) need to be high enough to hit something vital, close enough to the center line to hit something vital, and still have enough penetration energy left to destroy something vital.

The object of the exercise is to stop the fight right this second. Having a round that doesn't meet the third placement requirement without a helping hand from Lady Luck is not the best way to go. However, based on concealment requirements or physical limitations, it may be the only way to go. In those cases practice is critical, but being aware of your surroundings is even more critical. Avoiding the fight is the most important thing you can do if you are under-gunned.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6124 Times on 3710 Posts
Likes Given: 6949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Avoiding the fight is the most important thing you can do if you are under-gunned.
In my opinion, avoiding the fight is the most important thing you can do even if you aren't undergunned. You want to avoid that fight in any case, I would think. But if you can't avoid it in any way.........

Old 05-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #20

Liked 2197 Times on 1262 Posts
Likes Given: 1787

Gee, honey,

How does the *B L A M !* safety work?