Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How's that safety work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 765 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default How's that safety work?

Ok, wife doesn't carry often, but she was going into an area where she wanted to make sure she carried... especially after yesterday while walking to work, she had three kids on bikes that rode back and forth by her until she stood right in front of them and fronted them, with a frozen water bottle... she can't carry at work.

So back to the story, she calls me at work and says "where's the safety on the baby gun". She calls her Bersa .380 a baby gun, so I ASS.U.ME she's talking about her gun. IDK, I've shot the damn thing once, hate it, it's not mine, and would be the last firearm I would pick up. I have no idea without looking at it. But, I was being a nice and suggested it has a lever on the side. She doesn't see a lever... {sigh} I hope she doesn't need it.

She gets home and shows me her new fanny pack carry, and I pull the gun out. WTF, it's my LCP. So, now I have to ask which "baby" gun. IDK if she's ever shot my "baby" gun.

Life was good, no problems, but damn we gotta work on communication! And the next time we go to the range, she's going to shoot it. Me thinks it will be the last time she picks that firearm up, LOL.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 204 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Wow that could be a scary and unexpected incident caused by a little confusion. Yes you both need more communication and she needs a brief tutorials how your guns work.
My wife needs some basic tutorials about guns too IN CASE she ever needs it when i'm not around for the sake of safety. ;(

Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #3

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Is this the pistol you are referring to?

http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/thunder-series.html

The safety is actually a decocker/safety with horizontal being the fire position. After chambering a round, move the lever down to safely decock the hammer & it is on safe. Since the motion to take it off safety is backwards to other pistols I carry, I carry mie with the safety off, as many others do. The long double action trigger pull for the first shot is as safe as carrying a revolver.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

gg,

She knows how to operate her firearm, I made the mistake of assuming she was asking about her own damn gun.

Picking up a firearm you've never shot before as a SD weapon didn't strike me as being particularly wise.

maybe we'll make a range trip on sunday!

Old 05-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #5

Liked 1675 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

My wife carries a J frame in 22 mag. Whenever I have to take a trip and leave her alone I leave a big bore revolver in her night stand. I have too many guns to teach her the safety on all of them.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
gg,

She knows how to operate her firearm, I made the mistake of assuming she was asking about her own damn gun.

Picking up a firearm you've never shot before as a SD weapon didn't strike me as being particularly wise.

maybe we'll make a range trip on sunday!
I kinda figured I misunderstood & you're right about picking up an SD weapon you know nothing about. That's what puzzles me about ads for concealed carry classes which say they have "loaners" available. Who'd take a class with a firearm they haven't used?

Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #7

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

"That's what puzzles me about ads for concealed carry classes which say they have "loaners" available. Who'd take a class with a firearm they haven't used? "
When I was teaching I always had at least one auto and one revolver available as loaners. Sometimes people would forget their gun or ammo, sometimes they just wanted to try out a different one. Sometimes I would suggest a different gun if I seen they were having trouble with the one they brought with them. Many would bring guns that belonged to other people.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8059

LCP doesn't have a safety, does it?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
LCP doesn't have a safety, does it?
No, it does not, which was why I was so confused by her question. Instead of a safety, it's a double action trigger with the most gawd awful trigger I think ever invented... but it is such a tiny little carry piece.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8059

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
No, it does not, which was why I was so confused by her question. Instead of a safety, it's a double action trigger with the most gawd awful trigger I think ever invented... but it is such a tiny little carry piece.
I looked long and serious at the LCP. I liked the gun but decided on something else.