Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How would/have you sell/sold your handguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How would/have you sell/sold your handguns?

I would bet this has been answered, but i searched for it pretty long, and came up with nothing. Plus this may be a little more specific.

Would you sell your handguns to a local dealer? I have been collecting for about 4 years, and never sold one back (traded and got good value). Or do you think selling them straight to someone else would be a better route.

Do you think that handguns bring a better value at a local dealer % wise or riffles do. Or is it that you are going to get a straight % of the gun value no matter what (i.e. you wont get more of what a rifle is worth vs getting less than a handgun is worth).

What can you usually expect to get percentage wise from a local dealer, if the gun is in VERY good condition? I have wondered if the amount you loose is worth the headache of trying to sell online, and worry about fraud - seems like you have to be REALLY careful. Scares me that i could get taken, as i once sold something else on ebay, and the bank said the check was good (posted the money to my account, and i even talked to the m to verify, i sent the item, and then five or six days later, the bank removed the deposit and said it was not good. I dont trust the bank - they sure can get the money i spend out of my account with in 24 hours, but they just cant seem to make sure money I am owed is good.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

In my experience, selling a gun to a dealer is like trading in a car. It's less hassle than selling it privately, but you will only receive wholesale price or less. The dealer has to get it cheap enough to resell it and make a profit. Some dealers will try and "steal" it so they can make a larger profit.

You can use a commercial website like Gunbroker and sell it online for not too much of an expense. Link: Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com

You can also list it with good details and a photo at various gun shops and shooting ranges in your area if that is accepted practice. Condition is paramount and knowing the round count is very important as well.

Since it's where I live, I usually use a California gun forum to sell firearms and accessories and it works for me. If I don't think I'll get my price, then I'll use Gunbroker and pay the fee. (it's pretty nominal)

Do your homework and get accurate values for the guns you want to sell. If you overprice the item, likely you will ultimately get less than what would have been a fair price if you had priced it right to start.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 09-14-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

BTW, make sure you abide by all the firearms transfer laws for your state.

Don't be intimidated, stay legal and just do it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Don't ever expect to get more than 50% of retail from a trade-in at a gun shop. This is particularly true if it's a regular stock item. I'll bet you there are gun forums in your home state that provide a means to list your guns. Just about all of my deals begin in the local GA gun forums.

As CA357 said - follow the laws in your state...

Old 09-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #5

Default How to you "Guarantee" payment is good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
In my experience, selling a gun to a dealer is like trading in a car. It's less hassle than selling it privately, but you will only receive wholesale price or less. The dealer has to get it cheap enough to resell it and make a profit. Some dealers will try and "steal" it so they can make a larger profit.

You can use a commercial website like Gunbroker and sell it online for not too much of an expense. Link: Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com

You can also list it with good details and a photo at various gun shops and shooting ranges in your area if that is accepted practice. Condition is paramount and knowing the round count is very important as well.

Since it's where I live, I usually use a California gun forum to sell firearms and accessories and it works for me. If I don't think I'll get my price, then I'll use Gunbroker and pay the fee. (it's pretty nominal)

Do your homework and get accurate values for the guns you want to sell. If you overprice the item, likely you will ultimately for less than what would have been a fair price if you had priced it right to start.
How to you "Guarantee" payment is good? I was thinking like a money order or a cashiers check/certified check. But i have heard that people have even gotten cash for them, then later proven to be stolen/bad, and YOU are now responsible for paying the money that THEY gave you. I HATE how the bank can give you money and it is YOUR mistake even though it was them that did not verify/or their system that was manipulated.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #6

There are no guarantees in life. I've done a bit of swapping & selling (no laughter please folks) and the majority of it is face to face with cash or goods in hand. If you're not comfortable, perhaps a local shop can sell them for you on consignment. Most shops charge around 10% to do this and it can make everything convenient...

Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
There are no guarantees in life. I've done a bit of swapping & selling (no laughter please folks) and the majority of it is face to face with cash or goods in hand. If you're not comfortable, perhaps a local shop can sell them for you on consignment. Most shops charge around 10% to do this and it can make everything convenient...
It is funny (i owned and operated a web design and software design company for 10 years - sold it this year due to illness), that I am so afraid of selling them online. I guess because i hear of a lot that goes on out there, and there is always a new scam coming out that is pretty good. I am always afraid i will be the "test market" for anything new, or worse, get taken by something i HAVE seen before.

i guess by guarantee, i was wondering isn't there some way to KNOW that once you have the cash, that cash HAS been actually transferred from where it should have been? I suppose you could hold the gun for 30 days (exaggeration)... but i bet my feedback would NOT be very positive. I wonder what people would consider an ok time frame for holding the gun after payment. I know i am ALWAYS so excited to get the gun i have bought, any length of time seems like FOREVER!!!!!

Last edited by theferg2000; 09-14-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferg2000 View Post
It is funny (i owned and operated a web design and software design company for 10 years - sold it this year due to illness), that I am so afraid of selling them online. I guess because i hear of a lot that goes on out there, and there is always a new scam coming out that is pretty good. I am always afraid i will be the "test market" for anything new, or worse, get taken by something i HAVE seen before.

i guess by guarantee, i was wondering isn't there some way to KNOW that once you have the cash, that cash HAS been actually transferred from where it should have been? I suppose you could hold the gun for 30 days (exaggeration)... but i bet my feedback would NOT be very positive. I wonder what people would consider an ok time frame for holding the gun after payment. I know i am ALWAYS so excited to get the gun i have bought, any length of time seems like FOREVER!!!!!
If you receive a cashiers check or valid money order - it is like getting cash - you have received payment. Now a personal check is another matter and most folks won't even accept them...

Old 09-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8310 Times on 3592 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Dealers have to pay rent and light bills. The 50% number is about right. This is a bad time to sell guns- market is down- that is why I am buying.

Sell to a dealer- convenient- and you pay for convenience. Sell on gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com, not as convenient, you have to pack, insure, ship (shipping handguns for a nondealer is VERY high), but can fetch you more. Putting ad in local paper can be equal of putting sign on house that says "Please break in, steal my guns". Having dealer sell "on consignment" may be middle ground- he gets agreed percent for selling them for you. If unsold, you MUST do a 4473 to get them back. You transferred ownership to him while he was holding them.

On GB and on AA, buyers and sellers have feedback numbers from prior transactions. Worried about fraud? Include in auction terms "US Postal Money Order required if buyer has positive feedback less than 10". Now, if I have dealt fairly with 10 other people, why chose you to screw? USPS Money order- take to Post Office, they can computer verify on the spot- and cash it if they have enuff in the till. Money order from Rashid's Convenience Store? Sorry- those are being counterfeited.

If you do auction, look at other auctions. Ones with GOOD pictures, good descriptions, GOOD prices sell.

So- whatcha got????

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
If you receive a cashiers check or valid money order - it is like getting cash - you have received payment. Now a personal check is another matter and most folks won't even accept them...
That is what i had always thought too. But when i started researching it someone said that they had gotten a money order, cashed it, then a few weeks later found out the money order had been stolen, and since they had his/her information (having to show id when cashing) that they were responsible to repay.

I definitely think that is ridiculous to hold the person that sold something responsible for the fraud, when they ARE NOT in any way responsible. So i am not sure if i believe that would be the case, i just don't know how to find out for sure.

I would hope that once cash is handed over, they it is the loss of whomever gave the cash, since it is like them telling you that the check is good. Their should be more responsibility on their part (but as you know in my case with the bank, them telling me it was definitely good, and me getting out the cash - i thought that would solidify it - still comes back to ME being accountable)

I wonder where we could verify if that other story was true?

(By the way i came across the funniest site called www.419eater.com. Don't know if anyone has heard of it, but it is basically a website dedicated to "hunting" scammers. They encourage you to string along any scammers, then they try to get "trophy pictures" of their would be scammer by asking them for a verification picture (like take a picture holding a sign that says "password" so that i know you are real, etc) So they get them to do ridiculous things, like i saw one lady had made her would be scammer paint his face like a clown. The there is a gallery for posting your trophies. It is like a entire sport.)

Last edited by theferg2000; 09-14-2010 at 06:28 PM.