Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > how should my stance be?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default how should my stance be?

when im shooting, exactly how should my shooting stance be? is there a right or wrong way?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There are some who say you must only shoot Weaver, and others who insist that isosceles is the only legitimate stance. In my opinion, and what works for me, is a modified version of both.

What kind of shooting are you talking about? Combat, target, competetion? May I suggest you consult a professional firearms trainer in your area and see what works best for you. If you are interested in combat and self defense it is good to have a basic stance, but in most cases you can't use either while behind low cover, dodging incomming rounds.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 10-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8375 Times on 3624 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Good advice above, FWIW, I see a lot of folks shooting like this- feet side by side, both arms extended. Since the weight of your arms and the gun are pulling you forward, your shoulders are back, and your hips pushed forward- and you are WAY off balance.

Try this- if you are right handed, take a half step forward and slightly left with your LEFT foot. Now try it. Your weight is centered above the space BETWEEN where your feet are. Your posture is upright, and you are balanced, can pivot, etc.

Me? I usually shoot sitting position. In a lawn chair. Or prone. Hammock.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Try this- if you are right handed, take a half step forward and slightly left with your LEFT foot. Now try it. Your weight is centered above the space BETWEEN where your feet are. Your posture is upright, and you are balanced, can pivot, etc.
What he said, as well as bending your knees, keeping your weight centered. Doing this, as c3 stated, will enable you to be able to pivot and react quicker if you need to move lateral, forward or backwards to your target.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-06-2010, 02:16 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

We are advised to use the isosceles or non-dominant side foot very slightly forward stance, arms straight but with a small amount of relaxation-bend in the dominant arm. This appears to be the common consensus for competition positioning. Admittedly what has been said above about the necessity for varying stances in a self-defence scenario would hold very true - not an issue in my case.

Bend forward slightly from the waist, keep a bit of weight on your toes, knees bent. Nothing looks worse than that newbie knees-locked-straight-standing-leaning-back-thing so recoil ends up throwing the stiff, outstretched arms way up. Don't do it that way

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 10-06-2010, 02:48 AM   #6

The best stance for you is the stance that is most comfortable and has you shooting the most accurate and quick. Your opponent in the gun duel isn't going to allow you time to adjust your stance. In any self defense situation be it a gun fight, knife fight or fist fight time is of the essence. Practice as many stances as you can and see what is most comfortable, allows you to rapid fire with ease and results in accurate shot placement and that is the stance for you. Everyone will be different. If standing on your head allows you to win the gun fight stand on your head.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:04 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5248 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 330

this is my preferred stance