How often should you clean your pistol(s)? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How often should you clean your pistol(s)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My manual says before you shooting it for the first time, after you shoot or atleast once a month. I haven't gone a month without shooting yet.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #42

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Most pistols are so easy to field strip I can't imagine why one wouldn't clean them after each trip to the range. If it's a gun you're not familiar with, and fear the take down procedure, there are videos posted on You Tube showing visual disassembly and reassembly of most every type and model.

I consider cleaning after shooting a weapon every bit as important as shooting with it. Revolvers are even easier because they require no disassembly what so ever. Keeping the cylinder face and forcing cone free from buildup will assure a good running weapon. Again this is so easy to accomplish I can't imagine not doing it.

There are a few guns I will not break down because they are a PITA to reassemble. The Ruger Mark II and Mark III .22 auto pistols are the best examples I can come up with. With mine I just give them a good "washing" with clean Kerosene or WD-40 with a stiff bristled paint brush, (It won't hurt wooden grips or any plastic), then blow completely dry with compressed air. You won't believe the crap that will wash out of that pistol after several hundred rounds. I do much the same with magazines rather than disassemble them. After that I relube everything and it's good to go into the safe until the next range session.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #43

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I clean mine after each range trip, and at least once a month since I can't go shooting as much as I want to. I tend to clean my ccw at least 2-3 times a month from all the lint getting into the barrel and whatnot. Speaking of, I actually need to do it today when I get back from the VA.