How often should you clean your pistol(s)? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How often should you clean your pistol(s)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I generally clean after each "range trip", but it may be a few days or the next weekend before i do it. If it was less than a box of ammo fired, i may just do a quick wipedown & barrel swab with less attention to low-buildup areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
My wife has a Raven .25 that hadn't even been looked at for over 20 years which I decided to exercise a while back. Blew off the dust bunnies, loaded it up & fired two mag loads without a hitch. Decided it was about due for cleaning anyway, so cleaned it up, reloaded it & back in the night stand drawer.
I got my sister my Bersa Thunder .380 after a quick cleaning of her purse gun (a .25acp, maybe Titan) revealed an almost complete plug of caramel in the barrel. I figured the Bersa was new enough that she would take better care of it & use a holster inside the purse.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

After every range trip. I always wipe them down anyyime I handle them. I have three different carry guns and will routinely clean even if I haven't shot them. The guns I don't shoot often I pull out of the safe and clean a few times a year.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #13

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb View Post
After every range trip. I always wipe them down anyyime I handle them. I have three different carry guns and will routinely clean even if I haven't shot them. The guns I don't shoot often I pull out of the safe and clean a few times a year.
This sounds real familiar. I do the same with my guns. I get them out of the safe every now and then and look down the barrel with a bore light. I also know at any time I could get any of my guns, rifle or pistol, out of the safe and they will fire with no problems.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #14

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I'm a more is better kind of guy, every trip to the range means a cleaning and inspection to see if anything has changed, every night when I put my carry piece up on the night stand it gets a wipe down. The first of every month every gun gets a cleaning even if it has not come out of the safe, which is rare. The wife has gotten accustomed to cleaning her carry gun the same way, she even wipes it down when she puts it in her holster to go out.

As for the guys that wait till they have problems to clean their guns, I hope that these are NOT Bugs. I just don't understand this line of thought, just my .02

Old 12-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #15

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
Why would you NOT clean them after each use?
I always do - but I can tell you that there are alot of folks out there who do not. I know some of them.
And I'm not just talking .22's either but all their guns. From semi-auto pistols to AR's...
They may run a bore snake down the barrel but they talk about feild stripping and "cleaning" with solvent like once every few years.
These folks laugh at the likes of us too.

To me part of the enjoyment of owning a firearm is to disassemble and clean it. I do so every single time that I shoot. It is enjoyable and relaxing to me.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
Why would you NOT clean them after each use?
I always do - but I can tell you that there are alot of folks out there who do not. I know some of them.
And I'm not just talking .22's either but all their guns. From semi-auto pistols to AR's...
They may run a bore snake down the barrel but they talk about field stripping and "cleaning" with solvent like once every few years.
These folks laugh at the likes of us too.

To me part of the enjoyment of owning a firearm is to disassemble and clean it. I do so every single time that I shoot. It is enjoyable and relaxing to me.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #17

Sorry - double post

Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #18

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I agree. However in other, unamed, forums there are people who see things a bit differently.
Those who don't clean their .22s until they have functional issues are the ones who baffle me. I've never understood why a .22 would be considered less worthy of proper upkeep.
I've read the same things with any caliber. Have even read claims that running a brass brush thru the bore will wear the barrel out. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Besides, I enjoy it.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #19

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't see how a brass brush could wear a barrel out, when in some guns/calibers they have a solid chunk of metal flying down the barrel accompanied by heat and pressure, sometimes up to over 3500 fps. What's the fastest common civilian round? I think I saw one on a hornady chart that runs something like 4200, but I'm not sure. If that doesn't wear a barrel out right away, I couldn't do it with a brush.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I don't see how a brass brush could wear a barrel out, when in some guns/calibers they have a solid chunk of metal flying down the barrel accompanied by heat and pressure, sometimes up to over 3500 fps. What's the fastest common civilian round? I think I saw one on a hornady chart that runs something like 4200, but I'm not sure. If that doesn't wear a barrel out right away, I couldn't do it with a brush.
Not to mention that the brass bristles on the brush are a softer metal than the steel barrel.