Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   How often should you clean your pistol(s)? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/how-often-should-you-clean-your-pistol-s-53663/)

Glockpotion23 12-15-2011 10:55 PM

How often should you clean your pistol(s)?

How often should you clean your pistol(s)? Me personally, i clean mine after every range trip but what if you cant make it to the range that often? I know Glocks require very little lubing so im not too concerned about that. Just curious if there is a certain timeframe; any thoughts?

Firearms4ever 12-15-2011 10:59 PM

I clean my firearms after every range trip aswell, and I wipe them down everytime I handle them. I personally like to clean mine every two weeks to every month. Since I handle my firearms daily that's my general time frame in which I clean them.

MrWray 12-15-2011 11:10 PM

I clean after every firing, and i also field strip and wipe down every couple of weeks whether i shoot or not "just to keep my mind at ease"

trip286 12-15-2011 11:23 PM

Every time it's fired, and a wipe down every evening.

JonM 12-15-2011 11:28 PM

i keep a few boresnakes in 30 45 22 calibers that only see clp for running through the bores of guns that sit for a while but are otherwise clean.

i clean after shooting but sometimes go a week or more after shooting.

glocks need cleaning like any other gun. nothing special about em other than a lot of strange mythical powers that exist by the will of the easter bunny.

any gun that gets ccw'd gets cleaned every week. ccw guns need more frequent cleaning to get body oils and dirt and debris out of them.

gollygee 12-16-2011 06:19 PM

I generally clean after every trip to the range. I have several pistols in my carry rotation & when I change to a different one, I clean the lint, etc. that may have collected around the hammer & wipe it down with a silicon cloth before putting it in it's soft case & back into the firesafe.

My wife has a Raven .25 that hadn't even been looked at for over 20 years which I decided to exercise a while back. Blew off the dust bunnies, loaded it up & fired two mag loads without a hitch. Decided it was about due for cleaning anyway, so cleaned it up, reloaded it & back in the night stand drawer.:)

BlueTurf 12-18-2011 12:50 PM

I thoroughly clean my handguns every time I shoot them, no matter how many rounds I put through it. I also wipe them down if I handle them.

trex1310 12-20-2011 12:55 AM

+1 on every time you use them.

BlueTurf 12-20-2011 06:39 PM

Why would you NOT clean them after each use?

Overkill0084 12-20-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueTurf (Post 656244)
Why would you NOT clean them after each use?

I agree. However in other, unamed, forums there are people who see things a bit differently.
Those who don't clean their .22s until they have functional issues are the ones who baffle me. I've never understood why a .22 would be considered less worthy of proper upkeep.