How much do u invest in ballistics numbers?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How much do u invest in ballistics numbers?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Default How much do u invest in ballistics numbers?

... To make your decision on defensive round.

And where do you invest most? Velocity and energy? Bullet weight/size?

Or is it driven by other facts, like concealability and comfort? Or capacity in relation to concealability?

Are you a bigger is better type? An accuracy is godliness hugger?

What drives your decision making in what you carry and/our use at home?

For me it's all about the concealability to comfort ratio. A gun is neither my primary nor most effective defensive tool, it's an incase sh!t happens backup. My mind being first and body second. So I carry simply what's most convenient, concealable and comfortable to.

I could care less about ballistics other than making sure I have a reliably expanding Hollowpoint. Size matters little to none because all can and will kill and I shoot what I have well or don't have it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5984 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 426

i put nothing into the actual number crunching when it comes to ballistics so long as your talking about defense vs goblins and your sticking with rounds 380acp and up.

i like the 45acp due to diameter, bigger holes leak faster, but i carry 380's 9mm's and 45's. size of the gun isnt always important to me as i will carry fullsize firearms when im not going anywhere like a theater or a restraunt or such for those endeavors ill take a compact 9mm or 45acp. easier to keep covered by a shirt. no need to scare the sheeple after all.

i like a variety of ccw guns i get bored carrying the same gun all the time. i know some people have issues switching guns a lot but it doesnt bother me.

i always have my ruger lcp regardless what other gun i carry.

my main criteria is it MUST go boom everytime the trigger is pulled. if one of my ccw guns doesnt function it gets sold and ill get a new one. i also change springs, clean them, and change parts that get worn on a regular basis.

if your defending against large animals like bear and moose, then ballistic performance comes into play. hunting is the same thing.

defending against criminals, the only unbreakable rule is have a gun that functions.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JTJ Likes This 
Old 02-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #3

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 86

edit......

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 02-04-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
edit......
Lol I thought that seemed like a slightly off topic.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 AM   #5

Liked 267 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I load my ammunition to approximate what I know has served me well in times past.

I don't pay a lot of attention to ballistic lab figures, just performance.

Bob Wright

Old 02-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
I load my ammunition to approximate what I know has served me well in times past.

I don't pay a lot of attention to ballistic lab figures, just performance.

Bob Wright
So your a reloader them eh Bob? I wish I was that dedicated but that's simply WAYYYY too much effort for me. I'm off the more recent generations where patience is unheard of. Lol

Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #7

Liked 267 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
So your a reloader them eh Bob? I wish I was that dedicated but that's simply WAYYYY too much effort for me. I'm off the more recent generations where patience is unheard of. Lol
Neither patience nor dedication has anything to do with generation, they are developed individual traits.

And handloading has allowed me to shoot far more than if I had to depend on factory loaded ammunition. At one time I had aspirations of becoming an exhibition shooter, but never got good enough to look for a sponsor.

Bob Wright
Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post

Neither patience nor dedication has anything to do with generation, they are developed individual traits.

And handloading has allowed me to shoot far more than if I had to depend on factory loaded ammunition. At one time I had aspirations of becoming an exhibition shooter, but never got good enough to look for a sponsor.

Bob Wright
Reloading cost is very tempting.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 02-04-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #9

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Being that I've never been shot, I'm going to make a guess and say it sucks, whether it's a 380 or a .45.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

Some are Light/Fast fans (.357 Mag)
Some are Heavy/Slow fans (.45 ACP)

I prefer Heavy/Fast (10mm)

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Closed Thread