Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   How much do u invest in ballistics numbers? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/how-much-do-u-invest-ballistics-numbers-83302/)

BeyondTheBox 02-03-2013 09:39 PM

How much do u invest in ballistics numbers?

... To make your decision on defensive round.

And where do you invest most? Velocity and energy? Bullet weight/size?

Or is it driven by other facts, like concealability and comfort? Or capacity in relation to concealability?

Are you a bigger is better type? An accuracy is godliness hugger?

What drives your decision making in what you carry and/our use at home?

For me it's all about the concealability to comfort ratio. A gun is neither my primary nor most effective defensive tool, it's an incase sh!t happens backup. My mind being first and body second. So I carry simply what's most convenient, concealable and comfortable to.

I could care less about ballistics other than making sure I have a reliably expanding Hollowpoint. Size matters little to none because all can and will kill and I shoot what I have well or don't have it.

JonM 02-03-2013 10:38 PM

i put nothing into the actual number crunching when it comes to ballistics so long as your talking about defense vs goblins and your sticking with rounds 380acp and up.

i like the 45acp due to diameter, bigger holes leak faster, but i carry 380's 9mm's and 45's. size of the gun isnt always important to me as i will carry fullsize firearms when im not going anywhere like a theater or a restraunt or such for those endeavors ill take a compact 9mm or 45acp. easier to keep covered by a shirt. no need to scare the sheeple after all.

i like a variety of ccw guns i get bored carrying the same gun all the time. i know some people have issues switching guns a lot but it doesnt bother me.

i always have my ruger lcp regardless what other gun i carry.

my main criteria is it MUST go boom everytime the trigger is pulled. if one of my ccw guns doesnt function it gets sold and ill get a new one. i also change springs, clean them, and change parts that get worn on a regular basis.

if your defending against large animals like bear and moose, then ballistic performance comes into play. hunting is the same thing.

defending against criminals, the only unbreakable rule is have a gun that functions.

tCan 02-03-2013 10:43 PM

edit......

BeyondTheBox 02-03-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tCan (Post 1122719)
edit......

Lol I thought that seemed like a slightly off topic.

Bob Wright 02-04-2013 02:13 AM

I load my ammunition to approximate what I know has served me well in times past.

I don't pay a lot of attention to ballistic lab figures, just performance.

Bob Wright

BeyondTheBox 02-04-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Wright (Post 1122987)
I load my ammunition to approximate what I know has served me well in times past.

I don't pay a lot of attention to ballistic lab figures, just performance.

Bob Wright

So your a reloader them eh Bob? I wish I was that dedicated but that's simply WAYYYY too much effort for me. I'm off the more recent generations where patience is unheard of. Lol

Bob Wright 02-04-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1122994)
So your a reloader them eh Bob? I wish I was that dedicated but that's simply WAYYYY too much effort for me. I'm off the more recent generations where patience is unheard of. Lol

Neither patience nor dedication has anything to do with generation, they are developed individual traits.

And handloading has allowed me to shoot far more than if I had to depend on factory loaded ammunition. At one time I had aspirations of becoming an exhibition shooter, but never got good enough to look for a sponsor.

Bob Wright

BeyondTheBox 02-04-2013 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Wright (Post 1123016)

Neither patience nor dedication has anything to do with generation, they are developed individual traits.

And handloading has allowed me to shoot far more than if I had to depend on factory loaded ammunition. At one time I had aspirations of becoming an exhibition shooter, but never got good enough to look for a sponsor.

Bob Wright

Reloading cost is very tempting.

hoovco 02-04-2013 03:41 AM

Being that I've never been shot, I'm going to make a guess and say it sucks, whether it's a 380 or a .45.

robocop10mm 02-04-2013 08:31 PM

Some are Light/Fast fans (.357 Mag)
Some are Heavy/Slow fans (.45 ACP)

I prefer Heavy/Fast (10mm)