How many "Talkers" ever had to pull their weapon? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

How many "Talkers" ever had to pull their weapon?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Wow folks, great sharing! And I do entirely understand if you choose not to share. I also get what you mean by a life changing event. Luckily this was an encounter on a road trip from my out of town grandmothers funeral (as if that weren't a bad enough situation to deal with) and it didn't get to us TOO bad, mainly it didn't happen in our house. We are very thankful it didn't turn out any worse. But it honestly makes me wonder how every person in the world does not carry. I know how much more comfortable I am with one. But I guess on the other hand if the axe wielding crazed dude had a 45 then it may have been a worse situation for the attackees. Don't stop here, my wife and I are thoroghly enjoying these moving stories, thoughts, and opinions. She has started getting into this scene a little more since the incedent.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinball View Post
I have never been in the situation, nor do I want to be, to have to pull my weapon on anyone in the three years I've carried. But, on the other hand there have been a few times that I have been VERY thankful and much more comfortable having it with me or maybe in hand.

Hve any of you ever had a situation like this?
Or better yet, Have you ever had to actually use it?

I'm looking for some good stories here, so let me know your experiences.

I guess the only time that I've ever felt the possible need to pose the threat of my firearm was actually when all I had was my Hi-Point 9mm. I know what you're thinking, but it was my first adn only handgun for a while. My truck had broken down about 10p.m. on a Sun evening out in the backwoods of N.C. somewhere I am not at all familiar with. It had been raining on and off all weekend and Dad was 3 hours out with my tow dollies. So there sat my wife and I in my truck at an abandoned store where alot of truckers parked to sleep. As we were checking it out when we first pulled in, a nappy looking dude pulled up in an old beater van offering help. Not thinking at the time, I picked the wrong thing to tell him. I told him that we were going to have to get towed so his offer to help was appreciated, but not needed. Well as our company in our other vehicle had to go home, he returned about a half hour later. He parked right next to us ,but I couldn't see him. I didn't know if he was just an okay guy that wanted to park there, (away from everyone else, which was wierd), or if he wanted the tarped furniture in the back of my truck, wanted what was inside my truck, wanted my truck or wanted us. All I knew was that he knew we were alone, stranded and out of town. After about 20 minutes of him sitting there I thought to call police, but then if they didn't get him for anything he would know that we called and might want revenge. So I had my piece out and had chambered a round and safety on.(I just don't feel secure keeping one in the pipe in my el cheapo) Had the extra mag in my lap. The gun was in my hand on my console under a blanket that my wife had to sleep with. We pondered on this for quite some time, before we decided what to do.(Forgot to mention for us to make a phone call we would have to get out and use pay phone due to no cell phone service) So since my truck would crank and run(front wheel bearings were gone) we decided to let him think we drive it. After another couple of minutes our windows cleared up about the time he put his brakes on and put his van in gear. We waited to see what he might do. He never did move so we figured if we left and he followed then we were for sure calling 911. We got on the road and he started rolling. We got under a street light as he crept our way. I stepped out of the vehicle with the phone to my ear as if I was calling someone and the 9 in my hand. I made sure to show my firearm to him. When he did, he made a dead stop in the road and flipped his lights to bright shining right on me. I franticly told my wife to get on the phone NOW! She didn't get the phone to her ear good (my phone back in my pocket at this time and my eyes stuck on his van. ) It just so happened that I had fait on my side that night. Apolice car was coming down the road and headed straight for us. At that time my crazy waife jumped out of the truck running away from the van and toward the cop. The van squalling tires in reverse left. Worried for us the officer stopped and gathered the story and I felt safe enough to reholster my weapon. For the moment the BG got away. The officer told us that we were 8 miles from the closest civilization. Luckily my truck made it. So we drank coffee at the waffle house and took til our ride made it to us to quit shaking. I don't know if they ever found that guy or not, but he never found us.
Now, while I felt as I posed the threat, I've still yet to sight my weapon on anyone. So, this being said, I can only imagine how it must feel to focus that front sight on another human being, or actually have to use it. I know some of you military or officer persons may not can talk much about it, but I would like some other stories of any instances you may have.
My wife asked if I would've really used it that night? Hell yeah! I don't carry it for appearance, it's for exactly what I used it for...personal protection.
She used to always question me and my guns, but after that night, there hasn't been the first question about it. Now she gets it.
To put it clearly to you, she actually makes sure that everytime we get up out of bed, we're holstered up.

2nd Admen. at its best for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for writing, hope for your stories soon.
napĚpy 1 (np)
adj. napĚpiĚer, napĚpiĚest
1. Having a nap; fuzzy: a nappy carpet
2. Often Offensive Tightly curled or coiled. Used of hair

napĚpy 2 (np)
n. pl. napĚpies
A round, shallow cooking or serving dish with a flat bottom and sloping sides.

napĚpy 3 (np)
n. pl. napĚpies Chiefly British
A diaper.

Now unless he was wearing a diaper or looked like a chef I'm sure the word (suspicious) would have been sufficient. Next time try to choose your words carefully or someone might get offended. A moderator should have caught that.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsavy View Post
napĚpy 1 (np)

napĚpy 2 (np)
n. pl. napĚpies

napĚpy 3 (np)
A diaper.

Now unless he was wearing a diaper or looked like a chef I'm sure the word (suspicious) would have been sufficient. Next time try to choose your words carefully or someone might get offended. A moderator should have caught that.

Are you Nappy?????

Old 01-01-2011, 03:31 AM   #24

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

More than I care to count or want to remember. Even thinking about it makes the hair on my neck stand up and my heart pound. I'm just thankful I never had to pull the trigger.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-01-2011, 03:32 AM   #25
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsavy View Post
napĚpy 1 (np)

napĚpy 2 (np)
n. pl. napĚpies

napĚpy 3 (np)
A diaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinball View Post
Are you Nappy?????
Is it time for a nappy?

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-01-2011, 04:52 AM   #26

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My story was posted here a few weeks ago. Very unsettling and still making me second guess every noise in the house at night.

It'll never happen to me.... (long read)

I actually found that it helped me deal with it to talk (whether face to face or electronically) about it. It was therapeutic to share, for me anyway.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #27

Liked 1103 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
My story was posted here a few weeks ago. Very unsettling and still making me second guess every noise in the house at night.

It'll never happen to me.... (long read)

I actually found that it helped me deal with it to talk (whether face to face or electronically) about it. It was therapeutic to share, for me anyway.
What a story. Not going to comment on it here too much but its amazing that it actually turned out so well, given the possible alternative conclusions to the story.

I've heard many times that doggie doors, although convenient, are a hazard. I also remember hearing that they make some that can be locked at the end of the night or when you leave? Can anyone confirm?

Going threw school for Criminal Justice at the moment and Sociology and Psychology are a big part of the class. The general consensus is that talking about traumatic events helps relieve the stress of the situation because as your walking threw the memories, you feel as if your not alone anymore in your encounter. Talking threw situations like this helped me a lot when I had a really sour run in with a few LEO's near me when I was 14.

Glad everything turned out for the best, and at least he said "sorry!"

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 01-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 260 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Had to a few times while in the service, never had to as a civillian. And I never shot anyone thank GOD. I hope I never ever have to use deadly force on a person.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 01-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Me and the bride went to a gun show in Richmond in 2005. She decided to stay in the car and read, guns being LAST on her list of interests at the time. I found a parking spot up front but in between two vendors' vans, leaving the car (4 dr Intrigue) kind of isolated. Never thought twice about it. She said ''go on in, take your time, I'll be reading my book''. So off I go, locking the door behind me. About an hour and a half later I come out and before I get up to the car completely I can see something shining brightly on the drivers seat. It's my polished stainless steel .44 Rossi laid out on the seat pretty as you please. Of course I ask her why she removed it from under my seat and she said she had read for about 5 minutes and a guy had walked by the car real slow checking her out. Pretty soon another guy strolled by looking at her. She said to herself hmmm but kept reading. Pretty soon the first guy came back around and this put her on high alert. She remembered my pistol, pulled it out and laid it shining in all its glory on the seat. When the second guy strolled back by again he saw the pistol, kicked the pace up and got out of there. The other guy didn't come back. From that day forward she has always asked about my carrying when going shopping, LOL. She says a large caliber gun is just the thing to have, even if you don't actually use it....A lesson quickly learned.

Last edited by rodent.22; 01-01-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #30

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCCLEO View Post
I, too, find that carrying dual is a good way to go. It follows the '2 is 1, 1 is none' philosophy, and having two muzzles could be handy if one were to be faced with numerous adversaries. They won't come one at a time like in those Chuck Norris movies.
For you folks that carry (2) real 1911's for CCW.

*2 guns = 14 rounds. Steel guns = excess weight.

*1 gun = 7 rounds + 2 spare carry mags = 21 rounds, less weight.

*1 good carry knife or small concealed BUG to replace the other 1911.

It may be personal preference, based on past observation and experience, but the shock factor, or the surprise of "Oh sh!t!" "He has a gun!" anal pucker factor would be just as great, even only pulling 1 gun, as it is to pulling two, as well as good shot placement.

Never give an adversary the advantage of your full potential, no matter the number, or the threat. The gun should be your last personal protection tactic, no matter how many you carry.

Just my 0.02 cents worth...feel free to keep the change. How many "Talkers" ever had to pull their weapon? - General Handgun Discussion

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

ôThe greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.ö

Closed Thread