Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How many "Talkers" ever had to pull their weapon?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

2am of a Saturday morning. I'm living in a second floor condo. I'm awoken by yelling, and the sound of someone getting the piss beat out of them under my bedroom window. Colt SA was the closest thing in reach, so boxers,t shirt and Birkenstocks I run out the front door and around the corner to see 5 guys stomping the **** out of a Guy. I announced myself with the gun on the closest Guy.

Everything stops. Even the crickets for quiet.

I ended up knowing one of them, and he explained they were drinking beer on their deck when they see this poor bastard sneak up behind a Durango that belonged to one of them, and proceeded to smash the tailgate glass to steal the subs. They jumped the deck to give chase and caught him where we now were.

Cops came around the corner just then, I went inside to put on shorts and put the revolver away.

I come back out, kids cuffed and stuffed, while the others are filling out their statements. That dumb bastard had two black eyes, split lips, busted nose. And the cops left the back windows rolled down. So these guys are telling this kid they would be waiting for him to get realeased so they could whip him again.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:29 AM   #12

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Quoted for truth.

Have I had to? Yes
Would I again? Yes.
But it's nothing I want to talk about.
This is an admittedly touchy subject in the community. No one can blame anyone for NOT wanting to share their stories.

With that said, hearing stories of real life fight for survival encounters is an invaluable learning tool for those who have been fortunate enough to not have such encounters. There was a gentlemen whom on another forum detailed greatly the events of the night his wife had to use deadly force. More importantly he detailed the events directly following his wifes encounter. Of all the things he talked about, what stuck with me most was when he discussed issues that arose with neighbors, the fact that they had to live in a motel for some time at first because of clean up efforts and then because of open hostility from those neighbors.

His story was far from a pleasant one. It was however one I shall not soon forget.

To those who do post their stories, thank you. And to those who decline I say that some day I hope you feel compelled to tell your story(s) and when you do I hope I am there to learn from it! In the mean time, there is no hurt feelings over such matters of privacy.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 12-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7556 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 1120

BigByrd (insert joke about BigByrd shot here) raises a VERY salient point.

LIVING through a deadly force encounter is good. Remember that you must also live BEYOND the encounter.

F'rinstance- you are awakened from a peaceful sleep by a PCP crazed predator with an axe hacking his way through your front door, screaming incoherently about zombies and penguins. Despite your demands to stop, leave, drop the axe, he advances, shouting something about chocolate in a heavy Spanish accent (sorry, Eduardo) You unload a round of buckshot at a range of 10 feet, ending the threat and his life. The police arrive, and relate that this was an escapee from the State Hospital for the Criminally Goofy, who had already killed a Nun, a Bishop, and Girl Scout selling cookies. Good shooting, no charges.

Here's what you may not have thought about- as you bundle family up at 3 am- cause you can't stay THERE for now- and figure out what you will say when you call to explain why you are going to miss work today-

1. Your wife having nightmares about this for the next 3 years
2. YOU having nightmares about this for the next 3 years. That was some scary crap there, man.
3. Having to give a deposition when his family files a civil suit. Suit goes nowhere, but you still have to take time from work, drive downtown, get a parking ticket, and go thru grilling from scumbag lawyer. Oh- sorry, that was YOUR lawyer. Their lawyer is the BIGGER scumbag.
4. Neighbors kids afraid to play with your kids. Kids at school asking them about this. Your 6 yr old is joining you and wife in bad dream time.
5. No one shows up to remove bloody drywall from house, or clean the carpet. YOU get to arrange that, and learn about BIOHAZARD and associated fees.
6. And there are a dozen other things- but consider how you will deal with living BEYOND the event.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #14

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One time I fell asleep on the couch and woke up around 2 AM hearing a rustling in my apartment. I shoot up, look around of course everything is dark so I head over to my bed room and grab my XD and announce loudly enough to be heard (it wasn't a big apartment) that I have a gun.

I then begin to clear the apartment flipping on the lights as I go...

Oh hey, my back door was open. I fell asleep watchin' TV on the couch with the back door open for some ventilation. I go close the door, and sit back down on the couch to watch a little bit more TV hoping to fall asleep again since I was so wound up. So I turn my TV on and the next noise I hear is SMACK! I jump up and look over by the door and this cat had just ran right into the door.

Apparently the little bastard snuck in while I was asleep and had the door open and knocked something over.

It took me another 15 minutes to get the damn animal out.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #15

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Since carrying in civilian life, I have never pulled, pointed or had to shoot at another...yet.

Physical encounters, had a few of those, got kind of messy on occasions, even been threatened with other things as weapons, but never had to draw my firearm.

So, either it seems most everyone tends to behave when around me, or I am never in the wrong place at the right time...yet.

I don't go looking for trouble, I don't look like a victim, and I am in constant aware of my surroundings and tend to blend in, so trouble has a hard time finding me that way...except for the wife, dammit, she always finds me!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have never had to draw my pistol against a human. Two or three times have found it damn comforting that I had one when humans were acting erratically. Have drawn it 3 times when confronted by animals (2 moose, one bear) never had to shoot. Though one time I did retreat to the house and get a rifle to use on the moose. Rifles just work better.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been in not-ideal situations several times,but pulled once.This was back this summer,i was out walking.Wasnt too far from home,and it started getting dark.I was in a hurry to get home because i had big supper plans.Im jogging back when i notice a few people about in their 20s standing around ahead,glancing at me.I slowed down and they turned and looked at me.I waved,and all of them walked toward me.They were getting faster,so i pulled out both of my 1911s and held them low ready.Their eyes got bigger than bowling balls,and they turned around and ran back to their house.

It was a nice story to tell at Red Lobster...

Now if were talking animals,i have mad shot hogs,bears and bobtails when hiking.Bastards didnt like me walking through their territory,especially the bobtail.I saw a kitten,and mama didnt care for me being their.Had no choice.

Springfield Armory 1911 TRP,two of them,in Simply Rugged holsters for the summer and Andrews double shoulder holster for winter.

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.

Last edited by BIGBEN; 12-31-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Two 1911's to go jogging? Where do you jog? Baghdad?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #19

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Two 1911's to go jogging? Where do you jog? Baghdad?
And you drew because they were walking toward you? I dunno, seems a little excessive...

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 12-31-2010, 11:01 PM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I TOTALLY agree with everything except the 3 year part. It sometimes takes YEARS to fully recover. And you'll never be 100% the same again-it'll change you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
BigByrd (insert joke about BigByrd shot here) raises a VERY salient point.

LIVING through a deadly force encounter is good. Remember that you must also live BEYOND the encounter.

F'rinstance- you are awakened from a peaceful sleep by a PCP crazed predator with an axe hacking his way through your front door, screaming incoherently about zombies and penguins. Despite your demands to stop, leave, drop the axe, he advances, shouting something about chocolate in a heavy Spanish accent (sorry, Eduardo) You unload a round of buckshot at a range of 10 feet, ending the threat and his life. The police arrive, and relate that this was an escapee from the State Hospital for the Criminally Goofy, who had already killed a Nun, a Bishop, and Girl Scout selling cookies. Good shooting, no charges.

Here's what you may not have thought about- as you bundle family up at 3 am- cause you can't stay THERE for now- and figure out what you will say when you call to explain why you are going to miss work today-

1. Your wife having nightmares about this for the next 3 years
2. YOU having nightmares about this for the next 3 years. That was some scary crap there, man.
3. Having to give a deposition when his family files a civil suit. Suit goes nowhere, but you still have to take time from work, drive downtown, get a parking ticket, and go thru grilling from scumbag lawyer. Oh- sorry, that was YOUR lawyer. Their lawyer is the BIGGER scumbag.
4. Neighbors kids afraid to play with your kids. Kids at school asking them about this. Your 6 yr old is joining you and wife in bad dream time.
5. No one shows up to remove bloody drywall from house, or clean the carpet. YOU get to arrange that, and learn about BIOHAZARD and associated fees.
6. And there are a dozen other things- but consider how you will deal with living BEYOND the event.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Closed Thread