how many rounds do you carry?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > how many rounds do you carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 04:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 414 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Default how many rounds do you carry?

when i carry my 1911 .45 i carry a total of 25 rounds one round in the chamber 8 in the magazine and two spare 8 round mags on my belt and when i carry my .40 cal i carry 21 rounds one in the chamber 10 in the mag and a spare 10 round mag you think thats enough?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2009, 04:43 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
when i carry my 1911 .45 i carry a total of 25 rounds one round in the chamber 8 in the magazine and two spare 8 round mags on my belt and when i carry my .40 cal i carry 21 rounds one in the chamber 10 in the mag and a spare 10 round mag you think that's enough?
I think that is plenty, and if you feel comfortable doing that, then by all means continue. I personally do not carry a spare mag most of the time. I will carry one when I feel I am going some place that I feel it might come in handy. I do carry a spare mag in my truck and have access to it if needed. Now if you have a double ammo bandoleer strapped from shoulder to shoulder, that would tend to be a little obsessive, IMO.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-15-2009, 04:46 AM   #3

I am definitely no expert, but from all accounts I have heard you should carry whatever is comfortable for you to carry. If you can easily carry your pistol plus 2 mags, then do so. If all you can comfortably carry is the pistol, then do that. There is no formula or set amount of ammo that will make your kit complete.

Realistically, the only situation where you will need a reload is if you are facing multiple assailants which is an atypical self defense scenario. Not impossible, just not likely. For most confrontations, I would posit that you would not need a full magazine of ammo much less a reload.

I know that when I can legally conceal carry, I will carry the pistol only. If I am ever, God forbid, put in a situation where I would need more ammo than is in my carry piece I will have to make some very important decisions. If you feel differently, by all means carry more ammo. Oh yeah, and just in case.... if you see 3 or 4 armed guys coming in to a store that I am in, how about a little support?

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 08-15-2009, 04:48 AM   #4

Liked 414 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

what the laws in texas regarding concealed carry

Old 08-15-2009, 04:54 AM   #5

Most of my legality research has been done here. Handy for those tricky state line crossings.

Carry Concealed

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 08-15-2009, 05:24 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When the license comes in, I will probably carry only the six rounds in my carry weapon which is the PT-745 Pro sub compact.I carry one XD45 in the console beside me in the car and an extra mag for that, and when I start carrying, will also have a mag for that in the car, in the trunk, I have 2 boxes of 45's and a speed loader. When my other XD 45 comes in, it will stay in the house with a extra Mag and speed loader.

The way I look at it, if I have to use it, the 6 rounds should be enough, if it isn't, apparently I made a serious mistake and did not train enough or was not in the correct mind set, if either of those 2 are correct, then the proper thing to do is the following in correct sequence:

1- Come to the snappy position of attention.
2- Make a snappy about face.
3-place both hands firmly on the cheeks of the a**
4- Give a quick upward yank and litterly haul s** to your car.
5-Then in all reality hope along the way the BG isn't racing with you

Layton

Old 08-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

In my truck, one autoloader w/mag, and three extra mags. On my person, pocket revolver 6 rounds. On rare occasions, I'll carry an extra speedloader.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #8

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If it was to ever happen, I hope that I would not need any more than an upper torso double-tap. But I do not carry extra mags, as my P14 holds (hopefully) all I should ever need. If you should ever have a need for more than the first few rounds, you might never need any again.

Jim....................

Old 08-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I carry one round in my shirt pocket and Andy will tell me if and when I can load it in my revolver.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

For my commander I carry one extra mag i also carry a speedloader for my sp101... and i just throw 5 loose 22lr into my pocket for my Black widow.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix