Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   How to make your own 9mm bullets (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/how-make-your-own-9mm-bullets-93494/)

dboy007 07-07-2013 05:57 AM

How to make your own 9mm bullets

I'm 18 and I want to make my own 9mm bullets how to

nitestalker 07-07-2013 06:08 AM

The easy answer is cast bullets. A set of Lee bullet molds and a 9MM sizer will make nice bullets. Check Lee Production molds in 9MM and tumble lube.
For the 9MM I prefer a hard alloy of a 12 BHN. You may be OK mixing wheel weight alloy with some Linotype. :)

Axxe55 07-07-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dboy007 (Post 1297321)
I'm 18 and I want to make my own 9mm bullets how to

do you reload or know how to cast bullets?

these are the first steps to learn in how to make ammo.

dboy007 07-07-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1297333)
do you reload or know how to cast bullets?

these are the first steps to learn in how to make ammo.

I know how to reload I don't know how to cast bullets will I be able to buy the bullets online at 18

Axxe55 07-07-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dboy007 (Post 1297344)
I know how to reload I don't know how to cast bullets will I be able to buy the bullets online at 18

cast bullets/ i don't see why not. should be no problem. loaded ammo they might have some restrictions due to your age, but the bullets theselves i doubt.

they have several books about bullet casting if you want to learn how. lot of different molds for bullets are available.

dboy007 07-07-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1297348)
cast bullets/ i don't see why not. should be no problem. loaded ammo they might have some restrictions due to your age, but the bullets theselves i doubt.

they have several books about bullet casting if you want to learn how. lot of different molds for bullets are available.

Thanks and is there a particular book you recommend

danf_fl 07-07-2013 07:59 AM

Here, I did a bing.com for you:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=lyman%27s+reloading+manual&tag=m h0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=1686086136&ref=pd_sl_642c8462o h_e

Rick1967 07-07-2013 01:28 PM

Bullet casting is not difficult. I use pure wheel weights to mold 9mm. Buy a good set of welding gloves and always wear eye protection. Always work in a well ventilated area. I work in my back yard. I set up a counter top across a couple of saw horses. This way I am not breathing in a bunch of lead fumes. You can buy a casting pot at midwayusa.com for a wide range of prices. They can be as cheap as $20 or $30 and up to well over $100. You can get a Lee bullet mold on midway for about $20.00 for a mold that does 2 bullets at a time. It is about $40 for a 6 bullet mold. But the 2 bullet mold comes will a handle. You need to buy the handle separately for the 6 bullet mold. I use the 6 bullet mold for most of my casting. It is much, much, much faster.

gr8oldguy 07-07-2013 02:18 PM

You have some good advice on casting bullets. Find a local junk/recycle yard and see what they charge for used wheel weights. I am paying .40 cents a pound. Some folks are lucky enough to get them for free, so you might check at a tire store and see if you can get them. They make great bullets. Casting bullets is a relaxing activity and not too hard to master. As stated above, make sure you work in an area with good ventilation. I cast in my garage with a big fan and all the doors open. Wear good leather gloves and always wear eye protection and long pants. I'm always surprised where I find little specs of cooled molten lead. Once you get into to this you'll have to decide if you are going to air dry your bullets or use a cold water bath. I use a cold water bath....water, even a very small amount, and molten lead are an exceedingly explosive combination. Read and learn all you can about this aspect of casting lead. You're starting a great hobby that will serve you well in your shooting life. good luck and stay safe