Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How Long Is Too Long?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Default How Long Is Too Long?

I have finally broken through all my personal barriers about owning a hand gun. I did alot of research online, at gun shows and at dealers. I finally found the gun that I wanted. The Smith and Wesson M & P 9.
I went online and found that S&W offered a Carry and Range kit for this gun that included 3 magazines, a speed loader, gun and mag holsters, ear protection and a case. Wow, all this for approximately $50 more than just the gun, two magazines and case. I was sold.
Then I ran into the issue. I cannot order the gun directly from Smith and Wesson cause of laws, harumph. I called and visited a few gun shops looking for the kit, and no one had any in stock. They all really wanted for me to purchase their in stock standard M&P9's. I cannot blame them for trying to get rid of current stock, but I was sold on the kit.
I finally found a dealer who would order the kit for me from Smith and Wesson. They even "sold" it to me for less than the suggested MSRP. Yippee! I was told that it would be 7-10 days. That was eight weeks ago. It got to the point that the dealer was getting frustrated with my weekly calls and visits to see if the order had come in.
Last week I sent two inquiries to Smith and Wesson asking how long it was taking to fill these orders (I actually typed one 4 weeks ago but forgot to "send/receive" in Outlook so it went with the inquiry I sent two weeks ago). I received two differing answers from S&W. Last week I was told that it was taking 8 weeks to fill these orders and today I was told that the kits would be availible "sometime in May".
My question is, "Is this typical in ordering a firearm?" Does it take 3 to 4 months to get a standard order? Is my expectation of getting my order in less than 1/4 to 1/3 of a year unreasonable?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It sometimes happens. It depends on the manufacturer's supply on hand as well as demand. Hang tough, May is almost here.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4509 Times on 2372 Posts
Likes Given: 258

thats not atypical for in demand items. it took some where round 6-7 months from the time i ordered my colt series 70 last year to when it finally arrived.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

I received another reply from Smith and Wesson.

"We have a production schedule to follow but due to circumstances such as a major water break in the production line and renovating the dept to accommodate Thompson Center, the schedule gets messed up. We are told by marketing that it will happen and we pass it on to our customers and then it doesn’t happen which leaves us holding the bag. We have been hiring more and more people every day and we still can’t keep up with all the back orders. I would like to believe that the kits should be ready to ship to the dealers by the end of May because the calls are tremendous and I don’t believe they can just ignore them. I ask everyday and pass the massage on. I hope this helps you and I’m very sorry for the short answers, but I can’t make up a date to give the customer."

Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My suggestion is to go to your LGS and pick out ANOTHER gun to keep you entertained while you're waiting for the other one. These things happen and, as many of us here will attest, any "reason" to buy a new gun is about as good as any other. You'll see...

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 04-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #6

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

S&W is a quality outfit, so hang in there, the M&P will be worth the wait.

I had some experience in manufacturing a few years ago, and can tell you that the more goodies in the order, the longer it will take to fill. If you just want a pistol and couple of magazines, no problem. They typically don't make many kits with the extra goodies. Those are demand driven. For most of their products many folks simply want what is available. The kits with the extras tend to sit on the shelves and take up space, so not that many are made. The object for both the manufacturer and the retailer, is to move inventory. Product just sitting around is overhead.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-20-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You picked a good pistol and I expect you will be truly pleased when you get it. As already expressed the bundle deals are hit and miss with the gun shops so they don't stock many of them. Sounds like you found a great bundle and many other people must also like it putting the demand higher than S&W may have expected. The last S&W M&P 45 I purchased came with a rebate, you could either get $50 back or two free mags. I went for the mags, it took two months to get them S&W expressed the demand for the extra mags exceeded expectation. When the mags did arrive there was a quick note "sorry for the delay", taped to a speed loader.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:32 AM   #8

I have a S&W M&P9. It is a great gun.

IIRC, S&W sold a pile of them to some foreign military. 8,000 or something like that, and an Army's worth of spare mags. Trying to find spare mags is a PITA too. I'm sure the contract has a delivery date, once that is met, things should get better for us one at a time buyers.

The kits are nice, unless you're a lefty.

Wanna shoot now? Go grab a S&W 22A, about $200. A couple of $12 bulk packs can entertain you for a long time.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 AM   #9

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDbeej View Post
I have finally broken through all my personal barriers about owning a hand gun. I did alot of research online, at gun shows and at dealers. I finally found the gun that I wanted. The Smith and Wesson M & P 9.
I went online and found that S&W offered a Carry and Range kit for this gun that included 3 magazines, a speed loader, gun and mag holsters, ear protection and a case. Wow, all this for approximately $50 more than just the gun, two magazines and case. I was sold.
Then I ran into the issue. I cannot order the gun directly from Smith and Wesson cause of laws, harumph. I called and visited a few gun shops looking for the kit, and no one had any in stock. They all really wanted for me to purchase their in stock standard M&P9's. I cannot blame them for trying to get rid of current stock, but I was sold on the kit.
I finally found a dealer who would order the kit for me from Smith and Wesson. They even "sold" it to me for less than the suggested MSRP. Yippee! I was told that it would be 7-10 days. That was eight weeks ago. It got to the point that the dealer was getting frustrated with my weekly calls and visits to see if the order had come in.
Last week I sent two inquiries to Smith and Wesson asking how long it was taking to fill these orders (I actually typed one 4 weeks ago but forgot to "send/receive" in Outlook so it went with the inquiry I sent two weeks ago). I received two differing answers from S&W. Last week I was told that it was taking 8 weeks to fill these orders and today I was told that the kits would be availible "sometime in May".
My question is, "Is this typical in ordering a firearm?" Does it take 3 to 4 months to get a standard order? Is my expectation of getting my order in less than 1/4 to 1/3 of a year unreasonable?
Depends on the model and it's popularity...yeah I know Capt. Obvious. Springer Range Officers were hard to get before SHOT, now they are near impossible to find. I personally have had a Kimber Custom II on reserve, order, backorder...whatever they call it since late November...recently gave up and cancelled the order.

Keep in mind the very last thing you want is for a company to lower it's standards and rush product out the door to meet demand...as they say good things come to those who wait...if you are impatient Jiminez and Hi Point make 9mm pistols...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-20-2011, 05:30 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Patience is king when ordering a gun. But you will love the M&P.

Welcome to FTF!

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."