how to keep XDM from jamming - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > how to keep XDM from jamming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Sometimes, honesty can be brutal. I try not to go there to no avail.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #12

I recieved the pistol back from SA and had it a week or so and now its on the way back for the same problem. They never should of used a flat spring extractor on them. Glock, Smith, Eaa, Ruger, and Sterling Arms all use a coil spring.
The Glock idea was a good one but have one and put 70+ rounds through it last night without even so much as a thought of FTF or jamming. My Smith will do the same + shoot every bit as well as my xdm.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #13
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's a bummber Marty, I've heard a lot of good about the pistol but the little bad I have heard has been feed/eject issues.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 AM   #14

sorry for all your troubles. We have an XD in 45gap, and never had issues like this. Though we dont shoot it too often. I would keep sending the gun in, and write a complaint letter titled to the ceo/president. This will get their attention more so than trading it in. Because guess what... you trade it in, you buy another one, that used handgun is going to be bought by someone else. And SA will not know of the issues.

Write the letter to the CEO and you may even get something out of it.

I got to say though about the glocks....

I hate them.... but rented one today, well, two, A g17 and a g21, 45acp and 9mm.... without any hitches.... fired all day.... with the gel overgrip... its actually not a bad shooter either.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #15

My new xdm was doing the same thing. Still is but not as bad. I sent it in and they said they fixed it by modifying the feed ramp and the ejector. Got ot back and the same thing. My problem is, with the slide back and a mag full or partly full, hit the release button and the bullet goes in trying to stand up. It hits on the top left side of the bullet. It was hitting them hard enough to move the bullet deeper. Its still doing it i know because i marked number 5 last time and shot till it was chambered and then i ejected it and looked at it. Mark on the upper left side. I was tols to modify the mags a little. I have to crimp my cases a little tighter than i would like to so it doesnt move the bullet everytime it chambers a round.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:41 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It might be a fruitless effort but have you guys tried polishing the feed ramp. With the barrel removed use a drummel style tool with a polish wheel and soft polish paste, use just a little pressure and about 15 minutes you might smooth the feed. I did this on an old Colt 1911 and took it from a mis fire mess to a sweet pistol. You might also try a little silicone spray (wd40) on the feed ramp. If nothing else try hotter loads as that might give the push you need.

I'm not a XD guy just giving some ideas to make your pistol fire better. All the same it might be easier to just buy a S&W M&P!

Old 03-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #17

Marty I finally fired my XDM and ran almost 300 rounds through it without a problem. I love my XDM and feel like they will give glocks a run for their money. Sorry you have had so many problems with yours. I hope it all works out.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #18

Default xdm 2 time looser

My xdm 40 is back at springfield for the 3rd time they cant seem to keep it from ftf first round or any round it decides on. They pollished the ramp extractor breech block and replaced the barrel and it got worst.
I took it to every gunsmith and dealer in town. One told me this isnt even close to being right the other said Id be better off with a pocket full of ball bearings, another said he seen better high point pistols.
If you guys get a chance see if your xdm will load from the mag by racking the slide back and forth by hand.
Mine will load 2 out 16 if it feels like it. My other pistols will feed empty brass form the mag to the chamber.
I shoot everythihg from a x frame smith to a 22 ruger mark 1 and this is the only one that gives me any trouble.

Last edited by martyj; 04-03-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyj View Post
My xdm 40 is back at springfield for the 3rd time they cant seem to keep it from ftf first round or any round it decides on. They pollished the ramp extractor breech block and replaced the barrel and it got worst.
I took it to every gunsmith and dealer in town. One told me this isnt even close to being right the other said Id be better off with a pocket full of ball bearings, another said he seen better high point pistols.
If you guys get a chance see if your xdm will load from the mag by racking the slide back and forth by hand.
Mine will load 2 out 16 if it feels like it. My other pistols will feed empty brass form the mag to the chamber.
I shoot everythihg from a x frame smith to a 22 ruger mark 1 and this is the only one that gives me any trouble.
Sorry to hear about that problem! Now would be a good time to trade it in... But don't take it to a place you have taken it to, for service. You probably have tried different magazines... RIGHT?

A shooting buddy of mine had a similar problem with his CZ75B .40 Cal. He tried one of my magazines and the problem went away, so did one of my hi-cap magazines!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
It might be a fruitless effort but have you guys tried polishing the feed ramp. With the barrel removed use a drummel style tool with a polish wheel and soft polish paste, use just a little pressure and about 15 minutes you might smooth the feed. I did this on an old Colt 1911 and took it from a mis fire mess to a sweet pistol. You might also try a little silicone spray (wd40) on the feed ramp. If nothing else try hotter loads as that might give the push you need.

I'm not a XD guy just giving some ideas to make your pistol fire better. All the same it might be easier to just buy a S&W M&P!
+1. You took the words right out of my mouth. You can try a little tuning, but don't void your warranty. Or just buy a S&W M&P. 1000s of rounds and zero FTF or FTE.