How does everyone feel about the Walther P-22? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How does everyone feel about the Walther P-22?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I'm still looking at both of these pistols as well. I like the Ruger but it will be a lot more expensive for what I need.
I have a Sparrow suppressor in "jail" for another 2-3 months so I need a threaded barrel. Walther comes with a threaded barrel that only requires a $30 adapter. Ruger does not yet make a threaded model and only one company makes replacements at a $150+ cost.
Having said that, since both pistols cost the same, is the extra cost to get a threaded barrel worth it to get better reliability?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752
I'm still looking at both of these pistols as well. I like the Ruger but it will be a lot more expensive for what I need.
I have a Sparrow suppressor in "jail" for another 2-3 months so I need a threaded barrel. Walther comes with a threaded barrel that only requires a $30 adapter. Ruger does not yet make a threaded model and only one company makes replacements at a $150+ cost.
Having said that, since both pistols cost the same, is the extra cost to get a threaded barrel worth it to get better reliability?
Thats what i thought at the beginning. I got the threaded barrel kit too.. from twin tech tactical.
I'd rather spend $150 extra for peace of mind.
My Gemtech Outback 2D is in jail for another 5 months. Lol

Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #13

Liked 129 Times on 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth

Recoil spring is a pain to reinstall
My wife has one and that alone is a big deterrent for me shooting it. It has been pretty good for us...no problems in shooting. I have been wanting to get the Ruger as well.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I can't really offer up anything negative about the P22. But I also can't think of any reason not to buy the similar Ruger SR22 (costs less, comes with two mags, etc) instead.

I've shot the Ruger a bunch. Zero failures with any ammo. Great little gun.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
ruger Mk3 22/45 no question

either one of these are simply fabulous suppressed

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Lite/models.html
http://www.ruger.com/products/2245ThreadedBarrel/models.html

the lite model is super lite but ive got the heavier model with fixed sights i run supressed.

go 22/45 and you can use this tool for TONS of fun

http://www.mcfaden.com/cliploader.html

if your going to get a 22 for fun the 22/45 is a total no brainer.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #16

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Nice Jon. Good to hear from someone who has a can. I did see the 22/45 for $250 which is cheaper than the sr22 or the p22. I was concerned that the barrel length would be too long on the 22/45. I do have a buck mark but aftermarket barrels are $275 so might as well get a new gun!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #17

Liked 106 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Too long? What purpose you have in mind?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #18

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

HATE it I used to have one. Jammed up all the time! Got rid of it and got the ruger sr22

Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 964 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 388

Wife has one that chews through any brand of 40 gr. and sputters with any brand of 36 gr.

I don't like the complexity of it, but it is fun for her to shoot...once we figured out the diet requirements!

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 10-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #20

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

The P22 is about a like a Kel Tec it has core of loyal fans the rest of the world wouldn't own one. From my experience it takes a year or two of cursing it, abandoning it in your safe, finally you figure it out and have a pretty nice gun.

I have shot several P22's that were accurate and a pleasure to shoot but from the owner reports I wouldn't buy one.

I would take a look at 22/45 they are extremely accurate and I haven't heard anyone that owns one say a bad word about it. My neighbors 14 yr old son has a 22/45. He takes care of it about like you would expect a 14 yr old to care for a gun and it just keeps firing. His idea of cleaning it is washing the mud off it when he comes in off a 4 wheeler. The 22/45 is about $50 cheaper too.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-23-2012 at 10:30 PM.