Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How do you keep your serial numbers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 398 Times on 230 Posts

Default How do you keep your serial numbers?

Any suggestions on how you keep your firearm's serial numbers. I had a written down list from years ago but it is forever lost. I decided to make a new list since I have collected and traded in the past several years. Should I have pictures of the guns accompanied by the numbers and should I put them in an email or online access. Or keep them on hard copies. What would be best for insurance companies incase of fire or theft?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #2

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 948

Excel spreadsheet. You can fill columns with any data you want including pictures. Sort any way you want. Printout a list any time you want. Backups are good...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

bradam Likes This 
Old 04-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I keep mine in an excell sheet (one tab for owned, one for sold). I do have pics of at least the SN, which I link into the spreadsheet. I back-up my laptop with Carbonite, so I can access the info from anywhere - no need to have hard copies. I've read about MYGun.DB which seems pretty good - I may look at getting that. It's n GunBroker for $35.

NRA - Endowment Member
FFL / C&R Holder
RMEF Member
NRA Certified Firearms Saftey Instructor / RSO
IDPA Member
-------------
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have a little problem. I'm behind the times you might say. The only internet and computer access is my iPhone. We do not own a computer,Cable TV,or any other fancy modern technology. Haha. I just looked at the AppStore and found a few spread sheets but they don't say if they can have pictures. I will download a few tomorrow and hopefully they will be right. Thanks guys.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #5

Liked 4585 Times on 2218 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

I don't believe in electronic gun records... Even for my own use... A bit too 1984 for me.

I make sure the SN's are on the sales slip or create one for private transfers and keep the lists as jumbled paperwork inside the fire resistant gun safe.

A second list... Photocopies of the original, is hidden between the pages of an anonymous book on the shelf of a relative unused library.

NOTE: most homeowner policies cover valuable up to 4k only. If your collection exceeded this you should talk to your agent about a rider.

Tack

Old 04-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1284 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 596

Mopower, MyGunDB.com does have a mobile app version for both Android and iOS. You can read all the details here and decide if it is full-featured enough for you.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #7

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post
I have a little problem. I'm behind the times you might say. The only internet and computer access is my iPhone. We do not own a computer,Cable TV,or any other fancy modern technology. Haha. I just looked at the AppStore and found a few spread sheets but they don't say if they can have pictures. I will download a few tomorrow and hopefully they will be right. Thanks guys.
I'm almost the opposite. I must have PCs and internet but refuse to pay a dime for cable/satellite TV and premium smart phones/plans, just free OTA HDTV and the cheapest cellphone/plan.

Decent Win 8.1 laptops can be found on sale for under $400, even with an Intel CPU. Fairly fast internet can be $50/month, depending on your area. Then you can stream Netflix to a big screen HDTV for $9/month.

Guess it depends if you want to drop the money on mobile or living room/office. Nice that there are so many choices.

Can you access Photobucket with your phone? Maybe the spreadsheet app can, too?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Last question.....maybe. What about Ammo,and accessories. Would that be covered as well. The $4k thing ummm I need to check into that. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1105 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 634

everytime i get a new gun i take a photo of it. write down all the info on an index card. make model serial. price paid. date bought.. tape index card to back of picture. place in fire safe.. also working on an excel spreadsheet. but sucks playing catch up. lol

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #10

Liked 59 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

MyGunDB I believe is free for up to 5 guns. Granted most here seem to have way more than that.