Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   How do you keep your serial numbers? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/how-do-you-keep-your-serial-numbers-105974/)

mopowerbmx 04-08-2014 03:37 PM

How do you keep your serial numbers?

Any suggestions on how you keep your firearm's serial numbers. I had a written down list from years ago but it is forever lost. I decided to make a new list since I have collected and traded in the past several years. Should I have pictures of the guns accompanied by the numbers and should I put them in an email or online access. Or keep them on hard copies. What would be best for insurance companies incase of fire or theft?

Quentin 04-08-2014 03:42 PM

Excel spreadsheet. You can fill columns with any data you want including pictures. Sort any way you want. Printout a list any time you want. Backups are good...

AnotherHenryBowman 04-08-2014 03:51 PM

I keep mine in an excell sheet (one tab for owned, one for sold). I do have pics of at least the SN, which I link into the spreadsheet. I back-up my laptop with Carbonite, so I can access the info from anywhere - no need to have hard copies. I've read about MYGun.DB which seems pretty good - I may look at getting that. It's n GunBroker for $35.

mopowerbmx 04-08-2014 04:00 PM

I have a little problem. I'm behind the times you might say. The only internet and computer access is my iPhone. We do not own a computer,Cable TV,or any other fancy modern technology. Haha. I just looked at the AppStore and found a few spread sheets but they don't say if they can have pictures. I will download a few tomorrow and hopefully they will be right. Thanks guys.

Tackleberry1 04-08-2014 04:04 PM

I don't believe in electronic gun records... Even for my own use... A bit too 1984 for me.

I make sure the SN's are on the sales slip or create one for private transfers and keep the lists as jumbled paperwork inside the fire resistant gun safe.

A second list... Photocopies of the original, is hidden between the pages of an anonymous book on the shelf of a relative unused library.

NOTE: most homeowner policies cover valuable up to 4k only. If your collection exceeded this you should talk to your agent about a rider.

Tack

TekGreg 04-08-2014 04:07 PM

Mopower, MyGunDB.com does have a mobile app version for both Android and iOS. You can read all the details here and decide if it is full-featured enough for you.

Quentin 04-08-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopowerbmx (Post 1553160)
I have a little problem. I'm behind the times you might say. The only internet and computer access is my iPhone. We do not own a computer,Cable TV,or any other fancy modern technology. Haha. I just looked at the AppStore and found a few spread sheets but they don't say if they can have pictures. I will download a few tomorrow and hopefully they will be right. Thanks guys.

I'm almost the opposite. I must have PCs and internet but refuse to pay a dime for cable/satellite TV and premium smart phones/plans, just free OTA HDTV and the cheapest cellphone/plan.

Decent Win 8.1 laptops can be found on sale for under $400, even with an Intel CPU. Fairly fast internet can be $50/month, depending on your area. Then you can stream Netflix to a big screen HDTV for $9/month.

Guess it depends if you want to drop the money on mobile or living room/office. Nice that there are so many choices.

Can you access Photobucket with your phone? Maybe the spreadsheet app can, too?

mopowerbmx 04-08-2014 05:12 PM

Last question.....maybe. What about Ammo,and accessories. Would that be covered as well. The $4k thing ummm I need to check into that. Thanks for the heads up.

jjfuller1 04-08-2014 05:16 PM

everytime i get a new gun i take a photo of it. write down all the info on an index card. make model serial. price paid. date bought.. tape index card to back of picture. place in fire safe.. also working on an excel spreadsheet. but sucks playing catch up. lol

wknight40 04-08-2014 05:27 PM

MyGunDB I believe is free for up to 5 guns. Granted most here seem to have way more than that.