Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > how do you go about selling a gun to someone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default how do you go about selling a gun to someone?

i wanted to sell my taurus to someone from work but whats the whole deal with the paperwork and legalities of giving your gun to someone else? like would i just call my gunstore or the police office or wherever(?) and tell them who i sold the gun to? any advice?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2009, 06:43 AM   #2

You need to check your local laws. In Ohio there are no requirements for FTF transactions.

We can't stop here...this is bat country.

Μολὼν λάβε
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Old 07-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Smell a Troll??

Quote:
Originally Posted by field View Post
i wanted to sell my taurus to someone from work but whats the whole deal with the paperwork and legalities of giving your gun to someone else? like would i just call my gun store or the police office or wherever(?) and tell them who i sold the gun to? any advice?
If this is a "straight up" and legitimate question then the best advise would be to go to a private owner gunshop, and ask for info. Most of the "Mom+Pop gun shops will be glad to help you on the legalities of your area. All states+local areas have different laws/regs., you need to do what applies to your area.--If, in fact this is NOT a "straight up" question-then-take your wares elsewhere

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 07-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Depends on your local laws. In MOST states, a private citizen may lawfully make a "face-to-face" sale ONLY to another resident of his state. If you have cause to believe that the other person may not lawfully possess a firearm (he is 18 and wants your revolver, he just got out of serving a 5 yr stretch at the big house, etc) you may not sell to him. The suggestion to check with a local gun shop is a good one.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check the local laws to be certian but in most cases private sale of a firearm is pretty loose. With that said cover you butt, have the buyer sign a bill of sale that includes info off there drivers license (full name, date of birth, address and drivers license number). That way if something happens with that pistol down the road you have proof of when you sold it and to whom. The few pistols I have sold I have required the purchaser to provide a CPL or a CWP and I document the sale as described above. I have purchased a few pistols that the seller wants nothing more than the cash, for those I pay to have the local PD run the serial number so I know that the pistol isn't stolen and I keep a copy of the ad or a note of when and from whom I purchased the firearm from. A easy purchase or sale can come back to bite you if you don't do the due diligence up front and may make it where you are unable to own or buy another firearm in the future.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.