Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   How do you clean your nickel plated guns? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/how-do-you-clean-your-nickel-plated-guns-48359/)

donthav1 09-16-2011 05:09 PM

How do you clean your nickel plated guns?

i just picked up an old H&R top break that the original nickel is still about 90% on. i'd like to keep it that way & after checkin around online, read that alot of bore solvents will strip the nickel. and it seems i always spill or drip some bore cleaner on the outside of the gun when i'm cleaning my other firearms so i really don't wanna take the chance.

so my question to everyone else is what do you use to clean your nickel plated guns?

hiwall 09-16-2011 07:51 PM

There is no solvent that will "strip the nickel". Don't clean the gun with acid and you will be fine.

CubDriver_451 09-16-2011 10:17 PM

The solvents don't strip the nickle, but they will desolve the copper undercoating used to get the nickle to adhere to the steel.

Nickle does not bond terribly well with the steel alloys used in firearms production, so manufacturers used a thin copper plating as an intemediate bonding agent. If copper solvent reaches this layer, your nickle will flake off as the copper is dissolved.

JW

Wambli 09-20-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donthav1 (Post 581272)
i just picked up an old H&R top break that the original nickel is still about 90% on. i'd like to keep it that way & after checkin around online, read that alot of bore solvents will strip the nickel. and it seems i always spill or drip some bore cleaner on the outside of the gun when i'm cleaning my other firearms so i really don't wanna take the chance.

so my question to everyone else is what do you use to clean your nickel plated guns?

CLP (Break Free) works just fine for cleaning handguns with nickle plating.

canebrake 09-20-2011 02:56 PM

After the gun is cleaned protect it with Renaissance Wax.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...sancewax-1.jpg

scampi 05-23-2012 11:21 PM

ruined LCP nickel finish

I was out shooting it for the second time along with several other weapons. When I went home I used you product Birchwood Casey Bore scrubber for the first time which I just purchased on 14 May 2012 on one weapon when with the product on by hand I touch the Ruger LCP Slide which has a Nickel Plated finish. Moments later I noticed a discoloring I wiped the slide down with oil noticed the discoloring not going away. I put the slide under bright light and that's when realized the plating was GONE!!!

Gander Mountain also told me that Hoppes #9 has warning that it will harm nickel.

Get with manufacture for list of cleaners.

good luck.

303tom 05-24-2012 01:01 AM

With CLR...................

LikeABoss 05-24-2012 01:06 AM

Is this one of those who's buried in grants tomb joke threads?

gollygee 05-24-2012 01:15 AM

I haven't used it, but I understand that Hoppes "Elite" is okay to use on nickle finishes. I use Gunslick's "Foaming Bore Cleaner" for my wife's Bersa nickle .22 & it does a good job, even without use of a bore brush, but it's a new pistol so jury is still out on the finish, but it's supposed to be safe.

Best thing is check out the MSDS on any product you use to make sure it has no amonia in it.

JTJ 05-24-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeABoss (Post 812133)
Is this one of those who's buried in grants tomb joke threads?

Unfortunately it is not. Certain solvents will attack the copper bonding layer which in turn destroys the finish. Keep in mind a lot of gun cleaning solvents are designed to dissolve copper fouling in the bore. For polishing nickel plating use a good grade of dry toilet paper. It is just abrasive enough to polish without damaging the finish. Learned that from a very old gunsmith.