Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How do I find what my gun likes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Since they have an instructor at your range, they must have some shooting matchs.
You should go to one of the matchs in your area and observe and ask.
You will find that most everyone there will help.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, we were ALL new at one time.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #12

To ease your fears CA357. While I'm very INexperianced I have taken my states hunters safety course. That and the range rules and supervision I think is adequate for the range. Although I meet the qualifications for a CCW in my state that is farther down the list. I want to take more types of safety courses. In my book good intentions are a bad idea. I WILL BE CERTAIN that no one gets hurt due to my ignorance.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your a#% out all day long!

Big Gun + BIGGER BANG = lower stress

Old 11-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Cool beans.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Redrover,

Unfortunately, the process is trial and error. You can save some time and money by trying the ammunition that the tests recommend. However, each gun is unique and results may vary.

Start out by shooting inexpensive FMJ to break the pistol in and to be sure of function. After you trust the pistol to function, test the recommended ammunition and see what works best.

Just buy single boxes of the expensive stuff to try out. If it won't work well, you'll know it quickly you won't go broke finding out. After you gain more experience in general, you'll be able to make your judgment more quickly based on personal experience.

We all started somewhere and nobody knows it all, so enjoy the process and have some fun with it.

CA357
+1 !
CA said it in a nutshell. Trial and error. Now that I know it's a 45 acp it's perfectly alright to carry it with FMJ Ball ammo. It is rated a 67-69% one shot stopper. It is the only full metal jacketed ball ammo that actually works well. Due to the size, bigger bullets = bigger holes. You are actually okay to use FMJ for defensive purposes with a 45. Of course there are lots of others too, Speer Gold Dots are excellent in 45 as someone mentioned as well as Remington Golden Sabres, Winchester Silvertips 200 grain +P's are the hottest out there. With a 200 gr bullet that hits with 503 ft-Lbs of energy these work well also. Winchester has the PDX1 Bonded ammo which is very good too. As far as FMJ go with UMC, Winchester White Box or American Eagles, these are inexpensive. About $22.00 to $26.00 for a box of 50.
These are just a few to give you some idea. There is a barrel load of ammo types, and brands available. I have used all of these and never had a problem with them. You should get similar results too. Good Luck with your first gun !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 11-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #15

Liked 201 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrover3569 View Post
I want to take more types of safety courses. In my book good intentions are a bad idea. I WILL BE CERTAIN that no one gets hurt due to my ignorance.
Excellent attitude there red. Good for you.

Always remember... IGNORANCE can cured with EDUCATION, but stupidity is forever.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #16

Start with WWB can't go wrong there.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 222 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Maybe I'm just lucky, but all of my centerfires have gobbled up everything I feed them. I really wouldn't expect anything different from an FNP. Feed it a steady diet of Walmart's finest (WWB/Fed Champion) and both the gun and your wallet should be pretty content.

For JHP there are a ton of options. I lean toward Rangers, Gold Dots, and Hydrashoks. I like that they're available in the 50rd LE boxes, which brings the cost per round considerably lower than many of their 20-25rd competitors. Winchester Rangers are my go-to HPs in all pistol calibers. You can get 50rd boxes of any of the above three in whatever weight you prefer for about $30-40 online.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #18
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Red a truly good question and thank you for being honest with your expereince. Robo pretty much said it all when it comes to the FNP. I have a FNP-40 it seems to do well with all ammo. The Speer LE Gold Dot is what I found to be the best on target round for a defensive round. I prefer the 185 grain but that is a subjective choice.

By the way you chose a fine pistol that will serve you well. Sound like you are on the right tract with getting additional professional training. That will dramatically improve your ability to use and enjoy your firearm.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Maybe I'm just lucky, but all of my centerfires have gobbled up everything I feed them. I really wouldn't expect anything different from an FNP. Feed it a steady diet of Walmart's finest (WWB/Fed Champion) and both the gun and your wallet should be pretty content.

For JHP there are a ton of options. I lean toward Rangers, Gold Dots, and Hydrashoks. I like that they're available in the 50rd LE boxes, which brings the cost per round considerably lower than many of their 20-25rd competitors. Winchester Rangers are my go-to HPs in all pistol calibers. You can get 50rd boxes of any of the above three in whatever weight you prefer for about $30-40 online.
I forgot all about Rangers !
They are the best defensive cartridges of the lot.
Basically a Black Talon without the Black Lubalox coating. They are a little harder to find but not impossible. Do some research on Black Talon and Rangers, this is some of the most potent, devastating, ammo out there !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .