How difficult is it to sell a handgun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How difficult is it to sell a handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How difficult is it to sell a handgun?

I've heard the process is much simpler than buying one, no NICS process. But can you just post it for sale then sell it?

Para bellum!!

Proud NRA Member! #172327456

Lansing, MI
Ruger P95PR and counting...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #2

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

This is a good site..similar to Craigslist for guns.
ARMSLIST - Free local gun classifieds. Buy, sell, or trade firearms in your local area.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #3

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Check your state laws. In my state, we meet face to face, if your not obviously intoxicated or under the age of 18, I give you gun and you give me money.

My rules are different from my state's rules though. I don't sell to anyone (not like I'm selling much anyway, last one was about 5 years ago), without a carry permit. A carry permit to me is just extra insurance telling me I'm selling to someone legit. It means to me, that they are over 21 and have been thoroughly checked out sometime within the last few years.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Check your local laws for face to face sales, or put it on condignment at a local gun store, or sell it to the gun store owner.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

I have used Armslist in the past. It works pretty well. I second selling primarily to CCW holders. But, in my area, I can check public records for the surrounding counties. I just get a first and last name, and do a search on the Clerk of Courts website.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #6

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRegard View Post
I have used Armslist in the past. It works pretty well. I second selling primarily to CCW holders. But, in my area, I can check public records for the surrounding counties. I just get a first and last name, and do a search on the Clerk of Courts website.
I could do that too, in fact I did just to see what my dad has been up to lately , Just don't feel like going quite that far with it. If I'm keeping it legal, and even taking it just one small step further, I can sleep just fine at night.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2841 Times on 1411 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Most ads in my area prefer CCP holders and a bill of sale.
CYA, because no one else will.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 10-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i second the putting it up for sale in a LGS on consignment. that way any sale would have to go through an FFL and would be legal. my gun dealer allows consignment sales and only charges a small fee if the item sells. i like this because i don't have to worry about who i'm selling it to.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8888 Times on 3848 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Crackshot- you are in Michigan, right? MI state law requires a permit to purchase a handgun. You CAN sell it to a private citizen, but he cannot legally BUY it without a permit. You CAN sell it to a holder of a Federal Firearms License (FFL) such as a dealer anywhere in the US. A private citizen may only sell a handgun to another resident of their home state UNLESS that person has a FFL (Federal law)

You can have a local shop buy it, put it up for a consignment sale, or go thru one of the on-line auction sites such as gunbroker.com to sell it. The cost for a NON FFL to ship a handgun is ruinous, tho- about $70.

http://legislature.mi.gov/documents/Publications/Firearms.pdf

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Darth AkSarBen Likes This 
Old 10-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Crackshot- you are in Michigan, right? MI state law requires a permit to purchase a handgun. You CAN sell it to a private citizen, but he cannot legally BUY it without a permit. You CAN sell it to a holder of a Federal Firearms License (FFL) such as a dealer anywhere in the US. A private citizen may only sell a handgun to another resident of their home state UNLESS that person has a FFL (Federal law)

You can have a local shop buy it, put it up for a consignment sale, or go thru one of the on-line auction sites such as gunbroker.com to sell it. The cost for a NON FFL to ship a handgun is ruinous, tho- about $70.

http://legislature.mi.gov/documents/Publications/Firearms.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Check your local laws for face to face sales, or put it on condignment at a local gun store, or sell it to the gun store owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
CYA, because no one else will.
Good advice from these guys. Do not sell to anyone who cannot legally buy. If you have a local gun store with reasonable fees, the consignment idea is good because they handle all the legal issues and you don't have to worry about shipping.