Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   How difficult is it to sell a handgun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/how-difficult-sell-handgun-50845/)

crackshot 10-30-2011 04:22 PM

How difficult is it to sell a handgun?
 
I've heard the process is much simpler than buying one, no NICS process. But can you just post it for sale then sell it?

Sonic82 10-30-2011 04:26 PM

This is a good site..similar to Craigslist for guns.
ARMSLIST - Free local gun classifieds. Buy, sell, or trade firearms in your local area.

trip286 10-30-2011 05:06 PM

Check your state laws. In my state, we meet face to face, if your not obviously intoxicated or under the age of 18, I give you gun and you give me money.

My rules are different from my state's rules though. I don't sell to anyone (not like I'm selling much anyway, last one was about 5 years ago), without a carry permit. A carry permit to me is just extra insurance telling me I'm selling to someone legit. It means to me, that they are over 21 and have been thoroughly checked out sometime within the last few years.

dunerunner 10-30-2011 05:21 PM

Check your local laws for face to face sales, or put it on condignment at a local gun store, or sell it to the gun store owner.

RecklessRegard 10-30-2011 05:22 PM

I have used Armslist in the past. It works pretty well. I second selling primarily to CCW holders. But, in my area, I can check public records for the surrounding counties. I just get a first and last name, and do a search on the Clerk of Courts website.

trip286 10-30-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecklessRegard (Post 614910)
I have used Armslist in the past. It works pretty well. I second selling primarily to CCW holders. But, in my area, I can check public records for the surrounding counties. I just get a first and last name, and do a search on the Clerk of Courts website.

I could do that too, in fact I did just to see what my dad has been up to lately :), Just don't feel like going quite that far with it. If I'm keeping it legal, and even taking it just one small step further, I can sleep just fine at night. :)

Overkill0084 10-30-2011 06:02 PM

Most ads in my area prefer CCP holders and a bill of sale.
CYA, because no one else will.

Axxe55 10-30-2011 06:05 PM

i second the putting it up for sale in a LGS on consignment. that way any sale would have to go through an FFL and would be legal. my gun dealer allows consignment sales and only charges a small fee if the item sells. i like this because i don't have to worry about who i'm selling it to.

c3shooter 10-30-2011 06:37 PM

Crackshot- you are in Michigan, right? MI state law requires a permit to purchase a handgun. You CAN sell it to a private citizen, but he cannot legally BUY it without a permit. You CAN sell it to a holder of a Federal Firearms License (FFL) such as a dealer anywhere in the US. A private citizen may only sell a handgun to another resident of their home state UNLESS that person has a FFL (Federal law)

You can have a local shop buy it, put it up for a consignment sale, or go thru one of the on-line auction sites such as gunbroker.com to sell it. The cost for a NON FFL to ship a handgun is ruinous, tho- about $70.

http://legislature.mi.gov/documents/Publications/Firearms.pdf

shadamai 10-31-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 614993)
Crackshot- you are in Michigan, right? MI state law requires a permit to purchase a handgun. You CAN sell it to a private citizen, but he cannot legally BUY it without a permit. You CAN sell it to a holder of a Federal Firearms License (FFL) such as a dealer anywhere in the US. A private citizen may only sell a handgun to another resident of their home state UNLESS that person has a FFL (Federal law)

You can have a local shop buy it, put it up for a consignment sale, or go thru one of the on-line auction sites such as gunbroker.com to sell it. The cost for a NON FFL to ship a handgun is ruinous, tho- about $70.

http://legislature.mi.gov/documents/Publications/Firearms.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 614909)
Check your local laws for face to face sales, or put it on condignment at a local gun store, or sell it to the gun store owner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 614955)
CYA, because no one else will.

Good advice from these guys. Do not sell to anyone who cannot legally buy. If you have a local gun store with reasonable fees, the consignment idea is good because they handle all the legal issues and you don't have to worry about shipping.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:23 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.