How could I have missed this!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How could I have missed this!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

Default How could I have missed this!

I have practiced drawing from my holster(s) and have thought about different scenarios numerous times. I'm reasonably confident in my abilities while keeping in mind you never know for sure how you'll react in a bad situation.
This morning as I woke up I thought, " I have never practiced drawing from my bed holster". So, knowing I was the only one home (and keeping my finger off the trigger) I drew my gun, pointed it at the door to the bedroom, and WHAM! It hits me. I can't see ****. Son of a gun. How did I miss this?
I wear contacts and without them everything is blurry. VERY BLURRY. I can see object and contrasting color but no detail at all. Best way to explain it is if I saw a light skinned man with a beard, because of the contrasting color, I would notice the beard. If I saw a very dark skinned man with a beard I probably wouldn't be able to tell he had a beard because there isn't enough contrast in color. I'd be able to see the person and determined the middle of his chest but now I'm wondering about aiming.
Guess I'll go to my local gun shop today and price lasers for my bedside gun. What do other visually challenged people do?
Boy, talk about feeling like a total idiot.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5736 Times on 3246 Posts
Likes Given: 5168

First off, you should have an alarm system or a very yappy dog, so you will have time to put your glasses on before an intruder is in your bedroom door.

Second, you should have a pair of dedicated glasses on the nightstand beside your bed that are never off of that night stand.

Forget the laser. You need clear sight to IDENTIFY your target before you point a gun at it.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #3

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I wear glasses and I've thought about this numerous times. So far I've settled on keeping my glasses right next to my flashlight on my dresser because I have trained Rottweilers so I KNOW I'll have advanced notice. But when at someone else's house or on vacation that's something that's bothered me. I've played with the idea of lasiks but I don't think it's worth it. I've also heard of newer contacts that can be worn overnight without problems.

If be concerned with getting a laser to solve your problem. As most of us were taught "know your target and what's behind it." If you have trouble identifying them I would never feel comfortable pulling the trigger. Maybe a light laser combo.

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/xl5-laser-sight

I have this on my SR9 and it really makes me feel comfortable. Green laser stands out very nicely and the light has some umph to it.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

If sighting a target is an issue, how is a laser going to help? Yeah, you can see the laser fine but where is it landing? on the gray blurry thing or the darker blurry thing?

I'd say the best thing you could mount on your pistol would be the highest lumen tac light you can find. Blind the hell out of the goblin. You might have a better chance at identification and the light will buy you more time than a laser will.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #5

No alarm but I do have a dog. Don't have glasses because I can't wear them. I have been wearing contacts since I was 10. I can see well enough to identify a threat just not detail.
I can recognize people just not what the print on their shirt says. It's just something I never thought about.

Last edited by thefourthD; 02-20-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthD View Post
No alarm but I do have a dog. Don't have glasses because I can't wear them. I have been wearing contacts since I was 10. I can see well enough to identify a threat just not detail.
I can recognize people just not what the print on their shirt says. It's just something I never thought about.
If you don't mind me asking, why can't you wear glasses or if all else fails, just have a cheap pair next to your bed. I would get a powerful tac light on that thing. Lasers really are ineffective for lighting.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 02-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #7

In my frustration I worded my post incorrectly.

There is a difference between "seeing" and "focusing". We "see" the sights on our firearms but we "focus" on the target. It's like looking at a chair in your house then looking out the window behind the chair at a tree. You can still see the chair but your focused on the tree outside. While still looking at the tree your able to walk to the chair and touch it even though your not focused on it. I can see a person, identify a threat, I just can't focus on them.
I do like the light idea.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthD View Post
In my frustration I worded my post incorrectly.

There is a difference between "seeing" and "focusing". We "see" the sights on our firearms but we "focus" on the target. It's like looking at a chair in your house then looking out the window behind the chair at a tree. You can still see the chair but your focused on the tree outside. While still looking at the tree your able to walk to the chair and touch it even though your not focused on it. I can see a person, identify a threat, I just can't focus on them.
I do like the light idea.
Does anyone else live in your house that you might mistake for a potential target.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 02-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx

If you don't mind me asking, why can't you wear glasses or if all else fails, just have a cheap pair next to your bed. I would get a powerful tac light on that thing. Lasers really are ineffective for lighting.
It has to do with the way my brain thinks. We tried lots of types of glasses but I could never see with them and was always throwing up. We tried for 6 months before giving up. Popped a pair if contacts in and all was good.
In all honesty I doubt I'd think to reach for glasses.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx

Does anyone else live in your house that you might mistake for a potential target.
No. Because I can identify the person just not the detail.

I'm afraid I worded my post too strongly. I was just shocked. I'm a long time shooter and and this was the first time I lifted a firearm and everything wasn't crystal clear. Trust me, it's shocking.