How Close?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How Close?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Default How Close?

i read somewhere, or saw a video clip where a home defense weapon NEEDS to be within 5 seconds or less of attainability..............any thoughts?

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #2

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Would you want some one chasing you threw your house shooting at you? I'd say its a good idea to have one handy or at least in the same room.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #3

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Default Clarification!

5 seconds is gone faster than can get to the: closet, safe (and open it), top of book case, etc, etc....................i'm not saying NOT to keep it that close, was wonderin if the "time frame" sounds about right?

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I say that if you are sleeping and someone really wants to come in and do you harm, you have less than 5 seconds.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

An alarm system or a dog will give you more than 5 seconds. No companionship with an alarm system and the dog will cost you more than the alarm system in the long run. What's your life worth?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8853 Times on 3833 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

Defense in depth- I want to know when you are thinking about looking at getting close to being somewhere near my property line- not when you are climbing thru the kitchen window. That extends the "5 second" rule quite a bit. For a large enough property, I may have time to have breakfast first.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:25 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I believe the OP is posing a relevant question as to how much time you have to react to an invader and about the readiness of defense.

Dogs, alarms and acreage are all good points, but what about the millions of folk who don't have the luxury of any of those. Alarms can be breached. What if your apartment building (the only place you could find in your budget) won't allow dogs?

Handy dandy within quick reach of a firearm is the way to go, imo.

Prepare for 5 or less seconds to react, and hope for much longer...like 7 seconds.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Stands to reason it's a sound philosophy if you live in a high crime area, live by yourself or without small children, things like that.

However I have two dogs that I wouldn't trade for damn near anything because of their "pack - us vs. them" mentality. No one is getting into this house and causing harm in 5 seconds without taking a significant amount of damage.

Then again I don't live in an area that has seen a home invasion / robbery / murder since we have lived here. There are other cities that do have that happening, but where we live, not so much.

I think your home defense depends on the situational awareness of where you live.

Some places 5 seconds might not be enough. Others, you could deal with a closet or small safe storage because of the environment.

JD

Old 02-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

When I'm in bed, it's next to me on the nightstand within less than an arms reach. On the desk in front of my right hand when I'm on the computer. Next to my leg when I'm on the couch.

Even that close, it can still take time to get oriented.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5667 Times on 2959 Posts
Likes Given: 375

most home invasions happen with a knock at the door. the most dangerous thing you can do is answer the door when your not expecting visitors. at that point gun should ne in hand ready to go.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...