Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How can I get my wife to become comfortable with pistols?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Keep it simple. I inherited one of my grandfathers guns at age 11. Just a .22 single shot bolt action rifle. Once she gets comfortable with something like that try .22 revolver. Stay away from semi-auto, too intimidating, the mechanics are more complicated and creates fear when it's hard to understand something. And dont forget to have some fun, get a little friendly competition going with target practice, let her win some of the time!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Get another woman shooter to go to the range with the both of you. She will not feel as intimidated with another woman to talk to and she can see that if another woman can do it so can she. Take the advice on starting with a 22 rifle, then move to a 22 pistol. Do not get anxious to push her into a larger caliber handgun. When she is ready for a larger caliber, start her off with the lightest loads that will function the handgun. Forget about using any ear plugs and buy her a good pair of 30 decibel electronic ear muffs, like the Howard Light Impact Pro. You can get the best price on these at Natchez Shooters Supply, online. This way the loud sounds are blocked out, but she can hear instructions. If you have access to a silhouette range the metal falling targets give instant feedback. Go slow and let her progress at her pace, not yours. Over the years I have seen so many women put off guns and shooting by the macho guy that gives the little girl, with no ear protection, a cannon to shoot that knocks her on her ass. Then he wonders why she doesn't like guns or wants to shoot.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #23

Likes Given: 27

I've got a pair of the Howard Leights and can definitely recommend them, as well. Fairly light and fold up nice and small.

"Zombies. Man, they freak me out."

Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #24

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

If none of these ideas posted work. I would try with holding her food until she does what you want. Why force someone to accept a hobby in which they have no interest? I would not take up sewing or home decorating.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Quote:
NO 22 revolvers as trigger pulls tend to be heavier and not enjoyable.
What revolvers have you been shooting? Certainly not a decent single action. Worth noting, DA revolvers CAN be fired single action without too much unpleasantness.

Quote:
Send her to a class. For women. Maybe BY women. And stay out of her way. She'll be outshooting u in no time...
^^This. Worked for my wife. While she's not exactly a hobbyist, she lost the fear issue that that causes most of the problems. She will occasionally come to the range with me now & again.
Also, my Ruger MKIII with a cheap red dot sight was the ticket for her to actually enjoy handgun shooting, rather than simply tolerating it.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #26

Liked 256 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 66

My wife doesn't like firearms waste of time trying to change her mind i have excepted it and don't really care. I don't like flower arranging she does no amount of persuasion will get me to like flower arranging or here to like firearms.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #27

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
Get another woman shooter to go to the range with the both of you. She will not feel as intimidated with another woman to talk to and she can see that if another woman can do it so can she.
This is great advice. If you don't know one, call your local range and explain your situation, I'm sure there's probably a woman's league or night offered that might be beneficial.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #28

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
This is great advice. If you don't know one, call your local range and explain your situation, I'm sure there's probably a woman's league or night offered that might be beneficial.
Yupp. Agreed with his suggestion above.

Ill be honest some of the feedback was great & all but you gotat realize....you are speaking (mostly) as GUYS who are already comfortable with guns. Getting her to bring one of her good friends with her is a freaking DYNAMITE idea!

Im certain that will work....thanks man

Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #29

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My wife was very anti gun, terrified would be the correct term. I asked her to spend time with me after I got home from a range day. I had my .22 rifle and pistol, 9mm, Smith 19-4 and my glock 22 to clean. She was interested in the take down and cleaning process and asked lots of questions through putting them back together.
A week later she invited herself to the range. Started with the .22 rifle, only gun shot that trip. She was shooting at 100 yards, 5 shot strings. 4 mags were all she shot and we went home.
Next trip she asked to come along also. She asked what are those steel tables over there. Why honey that's where we shoot evil, dangerous bowling pins... Out came the ruger mk II and she was hooked. Spent the entire day on the pin tables and she went through 400 rounds lol.
Many, many trips have gone by, it was a slow, at her pace process. She now has her own savage mk II, Smith 642, and a few trips back after going through 200 rounds of 9mm she asked if it could be her gun.
She calls herself Annie Oakley now and over the last year has developed her skills and become a good little shooter. She shoots the Smith 19-4 at 50 yards and consistently hits a 6x6 steel plate.
Make it on her time, her terms and within limits she sets. Don't shoot large calibers it will scare her. Do not critique in the beginning and use positive reinforcement. In no time she will embarrass you at the range... Women are inherently natural shooters it would seem.
My wife wants a sig p 229 for xmas and she wants to take classes with the guy I train with. Maybe I got lucky, her transition took several months but now in Walmart she goes for the ammo counter and makes lame excuses why she needs more .38 and .22 ammo.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #30

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrange View Post
My wife was very anti gun, terrified would be the correct term. I asked her to spend time with me after I got home from a range day. I had my .22 rifle and pistol, 9mm, Smith 19-4 and my glock 22 to clean. She was interested in the take down and cleaning process and asked lots of questions through putting them back together.
A week later she invited herself to the range. Started with the .22 rifle, only gun shot that trip. She was shooting at 100 yards, 5 shot strings. 4 mags were all she shot and we went home.
Next trip she asked to come along also. She asked what are those steel tables over there. Why honey that's where we shoot evil, dangerous bowling pins... Out came the ruger mk II and she was hooked. Spent the entire day on the pin tables and she went through 400 rounds lol.
Many, many trips have gone by, it was a slow, at her pace process. She now has her own savage mk II, Smith 642, and a few trips back after going through 200 rounds of 9mm she asked if it could be her gun.
She calls herself Annie Oakley now and over the last year has developed her skills and become a good little shooter. She shoots the Smith 19-4 at 50 yards and consistently hits a 6x6 steel plate.
Make it on her time, her terms and within limits she sets. Don't shoot large calibers it will scare her. Do not critique in the beginning and use positive reinforcement. In no time she will embarrass you at the range... Women are inherently natural shooters it would seem.
My wife wants a sig p 229 for xmas and she wants to take classes with the guy I train with. Maybe I got lucky, her transition took several months but now in Walmart she goes for the ammo counter and makes lame excuses why she needs more .38 and .22 ammo.

A perfect example how to bring a non shooter into the hobby. If she does not respond well to your knowledge, have someone else to assist you. it is said that learning can come better from a non family member. Getting her to go to the range to observe would be a big step in the right direction.
axxe55 Likes This