How To Ask For Help - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > How To Ask For Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve View Post
I am one of these new guys you are referring to. I have learned to be a bit more specific but sometimes I think the questions are vague Bc of lack of education. I was taught to handle long guns from the time I was 7. How to load, basic cleaning, safety etc. However, I shot a handgun for the first time a year ago and purchased my first two 8 months later. It had been through all of you that I have learned the extra things about ammo, full field strip for cleaning (my 17 yr. Old 835 had never been field stripped until last month...was not taught that), what a hot load is, adv advantages/disadvantages of reloading, etc. So thank you all for the advice and help....and the desire to help us newb's become more safe and knowledgeable.

I, for one, will always be specific as my knowledge allows when asking a question....then again some of tne most popular posts on this forum bEgan with one vague question....
For the record, your posts are not the reason I resurrected and adapted a post I made in a tech forum years ago. There was one specific post I read this morning that just got to me. The OP asked a very vague question, another member asked for more information in order to give a better answer, and a third member saw fit to criticize the person asking for more info. It's my hope that this can be avoided in the future with more specific questions.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1732 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 3667

I think newbies, sometimes don't know what to ask. That's why we've gotta help them along,

Old 05-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #13

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

For the record, your posts are not the reason I resurrected and adapted a post I made in a tech forum years ago. There was one specific post I read this morning that just got to me. The OP asked a very vague question, another member asked for more information in order to give a better answer, and a third member saw fit to criticize the person asking for more info. It's my hope that this can be avoided in the future with more specific questions.
Lmao...i knew the post to which you were referencing...but I have posted vaguely before...sometimes with purpose..sometimes due to lack of education on the subject. Please doNT take my comment as malicious...it was not meant that way...just a different perspective..that's all...and thank you again for your comments to those of us seeking knowledge...I can honestly day I have learned more here in the last few months than I ever have elsewhere.....sans safety...and that its the most important subject my dad, uncle, etc. ever taught me!

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10540 Times on 4551 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

Doc- that is one of the most cogent, well worded and useful posts that I have seen here. Am going to pass this up up the line to the Boss with a nomination for making it a Stickie.

Which leaves me wondering- who is posting using your account?

Seriously- we DO have a lot of folks joining us in shooting sports- that did not grow up shooting at the side of a father or uncle. In some cases, they may not know the questions to ask. It IS critical that we not berate, ridicule or deride folks for asking a "stupid" question. But needing specific information in order to give an answer is quite reasonable. As I have said, the crystal ball is in the shop again for calibration, and I can't read minds worth a hoot. (If I could, might not have gotten slapped a time or two)

I am one of the Supervisors over on WikiAnswers (firearms category, of course) One of the common sayings there is "Good questions equal good answers".

I would reinforce what Doc said- Put an accurate subject in the subject line ("Gun question" is not an accurate subject- "Need extractor for 1903 Colt 32" IS) so you do not waste reader's time opening all the posts.

Next, give the parameters of your question. "What is a good gun for hunting?" cannot be answered. Hunting WHAT? WHERE? Instead, "What would be a good deer rifle for Western Pennsylvania?" will get you MUCH better answers.

It does not hurt to let us know your experience level in a given area- we have a VERY diverse membership (Longer yer here, diverse it gets!) Some of our members are 14 yrs old. Some are retired gunsmiths. Some are 21 and buying their first handgun. Some are active military in a combat zone.

Finally, have some patience (and I mean RIGHT NOW!) patience when asking, and patience when answering. Show us some style, show us some grace. Show us some good manners (or we lay your soul to waste)

Doc, again, thank you VERY much for an excellent post. Ya done good!
People Like This 
Old 05-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea I'm new I don't ask to many questions for that reason. I don't have the info grew up good neighborhood never needed a gun moved out of parents house family the works one day someone tried breaking in the house while the wife was home with the kids. next week got the glock for the nightstand and been playing catchup on trying to learn what I could since I still think I'm far behind when it comes to firearms. But I just browse threads reading but don't always find what I'm looking for but always find a rabbit hole to go wandering down. Lol anyway plz don't get angry when I don't know trying hard for you guys
Ps thanks was very helpful

Last edited by WillWorkForAmmo; 05-14-2013 at 01:00 PM.
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
I think newbies, sometimes don't know what to ask. That's why we've gotta help them along,
I agree, and to a point it falls on us to guide them. That's why I posted this. It's general information that may help people post better questions. I don't mean to sound critical, but I know with only the written word to go on some will take it that way. I wish I could avoid that, but I really don't know how.

I don't think any of us expect someone new to shooting to be able to frame a question like a 20 year vet to the sport, but if they give us all the pertinent info they can it will help us help them. Even if we have to wade through a bunch of stuff that doesn't apply to the question, we can either pull the info we need, or have a better idea of what to ask them to narrow things down.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve View Post
Lmao...i knew the post to which you were referencing...but I have posted vaguely before...sometimes with purpose..sometimes due to lack of education on the subject. Please doNT take my comment as malicious...it was not meant that way...just a different perspective..that's all...and thank you again for your comments to those of us seeking knowledge...I can honestly day I have learned more here in the last few months than I ever have elsewhere.....sans safety...and that its the most important subject my dad, uncle, etc. ever taught me!
I didn't think for a second that it was malicious in any way. You brought up a very good point. As I'm sure you noticed when your posts may have been a little vague, you will usually get more questions before you get answers. This isn't ridicule. This is to avoid giving you info that may keep you from ruining your firearm, getting you hurt, or keeping you from having a run in with the law. We welcome newcomers to the shooting world, and we would like to keep you around for a while. Giving out bad information won't do that.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillWorkForAmmo View Post
Yea I'm new I don't ask to many questions for that reason. I don't have the info grew up good neighborhood never needed a gun moved out of parents house family the works one day someone tried breaking in the house while the wife was home with the kids. next week got the glock for the nightstand and been playing catchup on trying to learn what I could since I still think I'm far behind when it comes to firearms. But I just browse threads reading but don't always find what I'm looking for but always find a rabbit hole to go wandering down. Lol anyway plz don't get angry when I don't know trying hard for you guys
Ps thanks was very helpful
Never be afraid to ask a question. If you can, give all the appropriate info you have. If you don't have the info we need we'll ask for it. My point is if you can be more specific, please do. If you can't, ask anyway and we'll figure it out. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Which leaves me wondering- who is posting using your account?
Grr. There's one in every crowd.

Thanks for the feedback. Now all I need to do is get the swelling to go down so I can get my head through the door.

Seriously, there is a lot of experience in this forum. I'm hoping that knowing what to include in a question will make many more of us willing to help the newer shooters. I'm not expecting to see anyone phrase a question that gives every bit of information necessary for a good response. I just think that providing as much detail as you can will cut down on all that back and forth questioning. It's hard to know what to tell people if you don't know what they are asking.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10540 Times on 4551 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

Doc- there is always the "When was my gun, serial number 234XX made?"

What, it was made in 19XX !

Newest Threads