House approves concealed weapons bill.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > House approves concealed weapons bill.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default House approves concealed weapons bill.

WASHINGTON – A state permit to carry a concealed firearm would be valid in almost every state in the country under legislation the House passed Wednesday.
The first pro-gun bill the House has taken up this year and the first since Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., was severely injured in a gun attack in January, it had the National Rifle Association's backing and passed by a comfortable margin. The vote was 272-154, with only seven Republicans voting against it and 43 Democrats supporting it.

The Democratic-controlled Senate has no parallel bill. But two years ago, GOP Sens. John Thune of South Dakota and David Vitter of Louisiana nearly succeeded in attaching a similar measure to a larger bill.
Under the House legislation, people with a concealed carry permit in one state could carry a concealed weapon in every other state that gives people the right to carry concealed weapons.
While states have various standards for issuing such permits, currently only Illinois and the District of Columbia prohibit the concealed carrying of weapons.
"The Second Amendment is a fundamental right to bear arms that should not be constrained by state boundary lines," said GOP Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.
The bill's chief co-sponsor, Rep. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., said states should consider concealed carry permits no differently from driver's licenses recognized by all states. He noted that many states already have reciprocity agreements with other states.
The legislation would "make it easier for law-abiding permit holders to know that they are simply in compliance with the law when they carry a firearm as they travel," he said.
Democratic opponents said the bill would constitute a "race to the bottom," with states that have strict requirements for issuing permits having to accept permits from states with far more lax standards.
"It's a situation where weaker state laws become the national law," said Rep. Bobby Scott, D-Va. He noted that some states require training for permit holders, or deny permits to those under 21 or who sell drugs to minors, commit sex offenses or are involved in domestic violence.
According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the measure would allow states with tough requirements, such as New York and California, "to allow in concealed carry gun-toting people from states, such as Florida, which repeatedly have given dangerous people licenses to carry."
Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., and Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., wrote President Barack Obama last week urging him to issue a veto threat against the bill. Passing the bill "would jeopardize public safety and would be an insult to states like New Jersey and New York that purposefully have strong gun ownership laws," they wrote.
The administration has not yet taken an official position on the bill.
Democrats also chided Republicans for ignoring their dedication to states' rights. "For the Republican House majority that supposedly believes in states' rights, this bill is shocking," said Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y.
There hasn't been much legislative action on firearms issues this year. A spending bill that the House is expected to vote on this week would bar the Justice Department from consolidating firearms sales records or maintaining information on people who have passed firearms background checks.
The chief sponsors of the concealed weapon measure, Stearns and Rep. Heath Shuler, D-N.C., said their proposal would not create a federal licensing system but merely require states to honor one another's carry permits.
People who are unable to get a permit in their home state would not be able to carry a concealed weapon in their home state by getting a permit in another state. A state's ban on carrying concealed weapons in places such as bars, sporting events or state parks would apply to nonresidents as well as residents.
Thirty-five states have "shall issue" permit laws that usually require states to issue permits to those who meet legal requirements. Ten others have "may issue" or discretionary permit laws. Vermont, Arizona, Alaska and Wyoming do not require a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/16/house-to-vote-on-concealed-firearm-permit-bill/?test=latestnews#ixzz1dzVRmIOS

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

We'll see how far this goes.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #3

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

It's what I would call a step in the right direction, but I share the above sentiments.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #4

What else would have to happen for this to become a reality? If it passes that would be so much easier for all carrying people

Old 11-18-2011, 12:32 AM   #5

its a stunt to try and get re elected for another term obviously. everything he stood for just went out the window. what a sell out. not that i mind or anything but hes supposed to be the leader of our country

Old 11-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #6

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-18-2011, 01:09 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can already carry in 32 or 33 states.(not sure about WI) Why do I want the feds to have anything to do with my CHL? It will end up with the Feds withholding funds unless we enact more restrictions until our rights are severely watered down. The feds withheld highway funds from the states unless states lowered speed limits and raised the drinking age. What hoops will we have to jump through to keep our right to bear arms?

Also, why don't they just let our CHLs be valid on federal property? Does this new bill address that?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanbybirth
I can already carry in 32 or 33 states.(not sure about WI) Why do I want the feds to have anything to do with my CHL? It will end up with the Feds withholding funds unless we enact more restrictions until our rights are severely watered down. The feds withheld highway funds from the states unless states lowered speed limits and raised the drinking age. What hoops will we have to jump through to keep our right to bear arms?

Also, why don't they just let our CHLs be valid on federal property? Does this new bill address that?
I can carry in 39 and only Illinois is near me. They would still be no carry so no change for me. I am not for it unless Fed land is opened up to it.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 704

state parks would be one of the higher danger areas where you would WANT to be armed? why is it such a unreasonable thing to be able to CC. i aggree if parks were included it might not be totally bad. still if its too good to be true... its probly dog poo

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 AM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have mixed feelings about this. I want the ability to carry across state lines with my Florida permit (yes I know there are reciprocal agreements already in place for most states), but concerned to a degree of Fed involvement in the permiting process. But it may be a moot point as I doubt the Democratic controlled senate will even allow this to the floor for debate let alone an actual vote. If allowed to be voted on I cannot see the senate in its current makeup approving it and then even so the President would veto and there are not the votes in the senate to override his veto.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Last edited by alxltd1; 11-18-2011 at 03:43 AM.