Hot under the collar at the gun store!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hot under the collar at the gun store!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I hate that situation, even moreso at the gun show. There is a fine line between staying safe and over-reacting, and i'm not one fit to judge somebody else on that. Me, I have put a pistol down and taken a LARGE step back to avoid a nearby careless customer, and I have explained to the clerk why in a clear and not quiet voice.

I have also had to tell a redneck buddy to holster his pistol or walk on the other side of the road with his swinging arm of death and 5 foot beer breath.

I don't feel like it is my job to educate everybody in sight on safety (glass house and such), but i'll not be accidentally shot for being too polite.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #12

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Once upon a time I thought, "no biggie. They're ALL unloaded..."

And then a gun store employee told me story about a neat little piece of decor in the store. It was a story about a used gun that had somehow been handled multiple times during the course of the gun store buying it, multiple times when different customers had looked at it to buy it as a used gun, and had even received a cursory glance over by a gun Smith.

Then one day a customer dry fired it. Only they didn't, really. They put a hole in the wall.

The store owner wrote a note on the wall, "treat EVERY weapon as if it were loaded." Right above the hole, and hung a picture frame around it With the back taken out, so that the hole and note were visible to everyone.

They tried and tried to determine when it had been loaded, and the only thing they could figure is that the gun must've came into the store loaded, and no one ever unloaded it.

Because manufacturers test fire their guns, this kind of thing could theoretically happen even with factory new guns.

The only gun that this rule doesn't apply to, IMO, is one that's completely taken apart. And that's only because it's impossible to treat PARTS like they're a loaded gun. At that point, they are only bits and pieces of a gun.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Do gun stores allow you to pull back the slide, try trigger pull, take the gun apart, etc. when looking for a new gun in the US. Or, is this frowned upon at most LGS? All the LGS over here welcome it.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Do gun stores allow you to pull back the slide, try trigger pull, take the gun apart, etc. when looking for a new gun in the US. Or, is this frowned upon at most LGS? All the LGS over here welcome it.
It really depends on the store. I am always up-front with the store as to whether or not I am buying that particular day. I always ask if I can dry-fire it once or twice, and have never been told "no."

I think its all about being polite and respectful and demonstrating a basic understanding of how the thing operates. I think if I were a complete douche and walked into a store, flagging everyone with every pistol I picked up, and just started snapping the trigger without asking, I would be asked to leave at the very least.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 11-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1684 Times on 1153 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I don't trade with a gun shop near my home over a similar situation. The showroom is very small. If you pick up a gun you are pointing it at someone. I was going to buy a SA XD. While I was examining the gun the shop owner said watch where you are pointing that gun in a very rude fashion. He was intentionally trying to embarrass me. I have never heard him say a word to anyone else. I haven't been in that shop in over two years and I have no intentions of ever returning to that shop.

Not buying the XD was a blessing in disguise. A couple months later I traded a Glock I didn't like for a nicer XD than the XD I was planning on buying.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1684 Times on 1153 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Usually no one takes issue with examining a gun before you purchase it. I am going to to examine a gun before I purchase it. If the shop doesn't allow examination of the merchandise I don't trade there.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 11-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Thanks for the feedback. I was really curious.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #18

Liked 4822 Times on 2337 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Watch where you point that thing very loud the 1st time. If it happens again get the manager and tell him what is going on. The guy at the register cant do anything and the guy behind the counter needs to trained or fired.
^^THIS^^

Tack

Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #19

Liked 1861 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 1233

I have disassembled a 1911 in a store before. They could see that I knew what I was doing. They were fine with it. I once bought a compact double stack 1911. It was a Para-Ordinance P10-45. It was used. When I got home I realized that one of the internals was damaged. It would have easily been seen if I had disassembled it first. I don't worry about new guns. But I will not buy another used gun without checking it first.

I would never be silent about someone sweeping me with a muzzle. I would immediately say "Hey, point that in a safe direction!"

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 11-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #20

Liked 1861 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 1233

I know a guy that used to work in a gun store. He was working on a trigger for a rifle. He was the third employee to handle the rifle. When he pulled the new trigger he shot a man standing at the counter. He was criminally charged. He stood trial and was found not guilty. But it was a life changing experience. EVERY GUN IS LOADED!!!!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This