Hot under the collar at the gun store!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hot under the collar at the gun store!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 889 Times on 429 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default Hot under the collar at the gun store!!

I was shopping at a local gun store here in Charleston, SC and ended up walking out really pissed! I had pick up several pieces of merchandise to purchase and placed them on the counter at the cash register and told the guy I was going to look at some guns. I walked over to the glass case which is about 20 feet long and full of hands guns, new and used. There was a customer about two feet to my right talking to an employee behind the glass casing. I went on looking at guns, I then noticed the guy behind the counter take out a hand gun from the case and hand it to the guy to my right, and the same time the guy took the gun and instantly muzzle swept me and continued to hold the gun sideways pointing the gun at me, I said "whoa" and backed up. neither of them noticed me. He handed the gun back to the employee and they talked. I stepped back up to the counter and when I did, the same thing happed again. At this time I got pissed!! In order to control my temper, I walked off and told the guy at the register that I was leaving, because of the two dip ****s handling the guns and me getting muzzle swept twice. I said the first rule of gun safety is to treat all guns as if they were loaded. Neither of these two dip ****s checked the guns before handling. I told the guy that he could keep the merchandise and I would not be back until someone learns proper gun handling safety.

Maybe I should not have let it get to me, but hell fire, Its my life.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2882 Times on 1664 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

I like your attitude.
That is the kind of shop that does provide a poor image of a firearms dealer and owner.

I think a better way would be to ask to see a user's guide with the salesperson and ask them what that statement means.

A little guidance could be remembered better than a quick display of anger. Ask any kid what they remember better; when they were taught something by someone or when they had their backside chewed out.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 11-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1989 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Watch where you point that thing very loud the 1st time. If it happens again get the manager and tell him what is going on. The guy at the register cant do anything and the guy behind the counter needs to trained or fired.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

People Like This 
Old 11-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I agree that would've upset me. Can't really blame you for getting angry.

I probably would've tried to keep my cool and explain things to both the customer and salesperson, but I can't guarantee I wouldn't have gotten mad too.

Always have clean socks.

MoHawk Likes This 
Old 11-26-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 481 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
I was shopping at a local gun store here in Charleston, SC and ended up walking out really pissed! I had pick up several pieces of merchandise to purchase and placed them on the counter at the cash register and told the guy I was going to look at some guns. I walked over to the glass case which is about 20 feet long and full of hands guns, new and used. There was a customer about two feet to my right talking to an employee behind the glass casing. I went on looking at guns, I then noticed the guy behind the counter take out a hand gun from the case and hand it to the guy to my right, and the same time the guy took the gun and instantly muzzle swept me and continued to hold the gun sideways pointing the gun at me, I said "whoa" and backed up. neither of them noticed me. He handed the gun back to the employee and they talked. I stepped back up to the counter and when I did, the same thing happed again. At this time I got pissed!! In order to control my temper, I walked off and told the guy at the register that I was leaving, because of the two dip ****s handling the guns and me getting muzzle swept twice. I said the first rule of gun safety is to treat all guns as if they were loaded. Neither of these two dip ****s checked the guns before handling. I told the guy that he could keep the merchandise and I would not be back until someone learns proper gun handling safety.

Maybe I should not have let it get to me, but hell fire, Its my life.
I don't blame you. A couple of months ago I was working a gun show. I was the guy safety checking firearms brought in by the public for trade or sale (you know the famous "gun show loophole"). I enjoy it because I get to handle some really nice firearms. Fellow comes in with a Ruger Bearcat. He is with his daughter, lovely little girl about 10 or 12. I asked to inspect his gun and he assured me the gun was unloaded. I explained I had to tag it before he could take it in. As I was checking it....guess what happened? That's right, a live 22lr fell out of the cylinder. I didn't know a person's eyes could get so big. He looked at his little girl, and I knew what was going through his mind. Empty guns kill people everyday, you had every right to be upset.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

People Like This 
Old 11-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 956 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Anger no, teacher yes. I would have gotten in their faces the first time it happened, explained NRA gun safety rules to them both, and asked them to do it again, properly.

Education is what is needed to increase public awareness of gun safety.

Anger does what? Is the gun store any smarter now because you got angry?

Get a gun safety poster, and take it back to the store, ask them to display it somewhere in plain sight.

We all need to teach gun safety every chance we get.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I would be mad at the salesperson, but not necessarily the customer. Not all customers are familiar with firearms and firearm safety. For all we know he could very well have been looking at a new handgun to bring to a firearm safety course. With that said the salesperson should have immediately corrected the customer and of course checked the chamber. If the salesperson doesn't know the correct way to handle a firearm, then he probably doesn't have much knowledge either. I'd expect in a LGS to have qualified salespersons. Walmart or big box stores maybe not so much. I probably would have made my purchase and left. Probably wouldn't return with the impression the staff is not knowledgable and not even qualifies for the job

Old 11-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I would have talked to everyone involved if it was just me. I know the gun would be unloaded anyways. Plus, this is not my first rodeo. Now, if a family member was with me, I would not be a happy camper. Probably handle things a bit different.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #9

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

As has been pointed out, losing your temper is the wrong way to go about the situation. Simply stepping up as saying something like "Do you realize you're pointing that gun at me?" Or "I'd appreciate it if you watch the muzzle of that gun."

No matter the situation, failure to control your temper can lead to an unpleasant escalation of the situation, maybe even result in drawing and fireing?

Bob Wright

Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #10

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Similar situation for me just yesterday but the employee handled it much better. Was showing a customer a Glock (couldn't tell exactly what it was) and the customer started waving it around and even "sighting it in". The employee explained, very politely, the proper etiquette for handling the firearm, to which the wizard customer replied..."don't worry, it ain't loaded". He was told that regardless of considered condition he should treat all firearms as if they are loaded and if he didn't want to do that then maybe he should either; take a safety course and/or take his business elsewhere.

Customer left to some mild applause and head nodding. I then spoke to the employee for a few minutes and he described this type of thing happening more than what many might expect. He said he always handled it in the same manner.

Good Job!

Kahr CM9
Kahr CW380
Ruger SR22
People Like This