Honest opinions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Honest opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJason View Post
besides, if you do get the job you will get to shoot the service gun then why own the same gun for personal use, I would prefer some variety in shooting
I just thought about that.

My reasoning is that I would want to be an expert on that gun and have an upper edge on firearms training. I think I'll hold out for the 1911. Thanx guys.

I shoot either Beretta 92 Vertecs or Ruger P95s for the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Consists of about 30 rounds once a year. Not sure how these compare to the G22.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 11-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigguns911 View Post
Get what you want and like. You will get a lot of trigger time on the Glock in the academy. They like any other agency do not just hand you a gun and tell you to got shot a qualification with it. +1 to the others comments on any gun training is good training, but be careful to not build bad habits. If you do not have much training with guns, go find a trainer that is good and get some.
The reason that a lot of agencies use the Glocks is because it is tough to build bad habits with them, aside from pulling the trigger.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #13

just a thought here, but if you hate the glock, then don't get one for your home gun. as mentioned before you will be issued one if you get the job and given range time to practice with it during your firearms training.

yeah, you might get "used" shooting whatever you get for your personal gun and the service gun might be weird at first, but who says you can't be proficient with more than one gun. i know i can shoot several types of pistols proficiently (good enough to take down a bad guy anyway) and i highly doubt i am even close to being one of the best shooters in this forum.

so my thinking is that if you have to shoot a gun you hate at work, then why would you want the same one at home? i mean if you worked at mcdonalds (just an example) all day making crappy hamburgers when you went home for dinner the last thing you would want is a crappy hamburger on your plate right?

in my opinion you should just get what you want, the go to a range and rent a few guns and see what you like best method seems pretty sound to me.

remember, the gun they may give you at work you will give back when you retire, but the one you buy for yourself you might have for the rest of your life, so get something that you like...just my two cents.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshoots View Post
just a thought here, but if you hate the glock, then don't get one for your home gun. as mentioned before you will be issued one if you get the job and given range time to practice with it during your firearms training.

yeah, you might get "used" shooting whatever you get for your personal gun and the service gun might be weird at first, but who says you can't be proficient with more than one gun. i know i can shoot several types of pistols proficiently (good enough to take down a bad guy anyway) and i highly doubt i am even close to being one of the best shooters in this forum.

so my thinking is that if you have to shoot a gun you hate at work, then why would you want the same one at home? i mean if you worked at mcdonalds (just an example) all day making crappy hamburgers when you went home for dinner the last thing you would want is a crappy hamburger on your plate right?

in my opinion you should just get what you want, the go to a range and rent a few guns and see what you like best method seems pretty sound to me.

remember, the gun they may give you at work you will give back when you retire, but the one you buy for yourself you might have for the rest of your life, so get something that you like...just my two cents.
Muscle memory is absolutely necessary under stressful conditions. There is already too much confusion and adrenalin, why add more?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Muscle memory is absolutely necessary under stressful conditions. There is already too much confusion and adrenalin, why add more?
i think there are general skills (targeting, squeezing the trigger, etc.) that carry over from gun to gun.

i can shoot dead on with a modern semi auto pistol with all the bells and whistles, and i can also shoot bullseyes with my .357 mag revolver at 30-40 yards. it is possible to master more than one type of pistol.

sure, get good at the pistol you would use on the job, even practice with it more than any other gun you have (if you get the job that is) but that doesn't mean you have to keep one in your nightstand.

i bet that there are people in this very forum with half a dozen pistols that they could shoot from muscle memory and hit a bg with deadly accuracy in a high stress situation.

i don't think being good with more than one gun is necessarily a bad thing, if anything being only familiar with one type would put you at a disadvantage.

"if i had my glock you would be sooo dead, but since all i can find is this 1911, you're safe"...yeah right.

anyone with at least ample shooting skills should be able to hit a human with enough accuracy to get the job done with any functional pistol within pistol range, if not, maybe they shouldn't be certified to carry on the job.

again, just my two cents.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #16

I second jbshoots in that a firearm is a firearm is a firearm when the basics are considered. You can be like JD and blame your weapon for poor accuracy ( I expect a Tango-esq kick in the j---- for that), but despite capacity, grip angle, construction material, weight, recoil characteristics or other weapon specific characteristics, the seven principles are ALWAYS the same: stance, grip, sight alignment, sight picture, breath control, trigger control and follow through. Compare it to learning to drive a standard shift vehicle- the principle is the same, but each vehicle may have model specific finer points that you will get used to.

Buy whatever you like and practice. If you truly are concentrating on and learning the basics of marksmanship, you will not notice a significant difference in your accuracy from weapon to weapon I don't believe.

Good luck.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 11-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #17

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I know the basics of marksmanship. I was in the Marine Corps, and I was taught the methods used by Federal Law Enforcement Firearms Training at FLETC. I just thought it would give me an edge. Basically I guess I just need a gun in my hand and shoot it alot.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #18

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
Basically I guess I just need a gun in my hand and shoot it alot.
That sir is the secret to success. Beware of a 1911 though. Once you get used to the trigger - nothing else will feel as natural and proper - you'll be ruined...

Old 11-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
The reason that a lot of agencies use the Glocks is because it is tough to build bad habits with them, aside from pulling the trigger.
Sorry man but I have to call BS on this. With out fundamentals any person can build bad habits on any gun. If you teach your self to do something completely different from what the firearms instructor is teaching and wants you to do then you will have a very hard time fixing it. I have seen and trained with both new and experienced shooters. I found the new shooters had a much easier time taking in the training and shooting a qualification with better score. The Glock like any other gun will not fix the bad habits of any shooter. Any gun will for the most part shot point of aim and point of impact (depending on range and quality) line until a person puts his hands on it. The person is what make a gun shot bad in most cases. From what I am seeing in his post he wants a leg up on the others. He can get this by getting correct training and shooting/dry fire a lot.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:33 AM   #20
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
I just thought about that. "I was in the Marine Corps, and I was taught the methods used by Federal Law Enforcement Firearms Training at FLETC."

My reasoning is that I would want to be an expert on that gun and have an upper edge on firearms training. I think I'll hold out for the 1911. Thanx guys.

I shoot either Beretta 92 Vertecs or Ruger P95s for the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Consists of about 30 rounds once a year. Not sure how these compare to the G22.
You are currently employed by the "Federal Bureau of Prisons" and use to be a Marine? Just want to get a handle on you before I offer an opinion.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 11-07-2009 at 03:37 AM.