Honest opinions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Honest opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Honest opinions

Question for you guys. I have been looking for my first gun. I want a 1911. I cant stand the look of Glocks. But here is my question, I am currently in the process for the US Marshals Service (still waiting for interview), they use either the Glock 22 or Glock 23. Not sure which one. Would it be wise to purchase this pistol to become proficient with it. Then while at the academy it we be second nature to handle and shoot. Honest opinions, please. Like I said early, I would never buy a Glock other than for this purpose. Would it be a smart move.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have told other cop prospects this same thing.

It's pointless to buy a weapon based on what you THINK you will be carrying/shooting.

If you have the job, that is one thing. Delayed entry, or a bunch of class time before you get to firearm's training and you are WORRIED about it, but to buy one now, for a job you MIGHT get, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Have a friend of my woman. He was testing with about 11 different local agencies, but was SURE he was getting on with Seattle PD.

Wanted to buy the Glock they carry in Seattle so that he could practice. Ex-Navy, been out of shooting for like 8 years and was worried about quals, because he isn't that great of a shot to be honest....

Sure enough he gets hired by King County Sheriff and they carry a Glock, but it's a different model. Seattle has the .40 or the .45 and the Sheriff carries the 9mm or the .40

He now carries a 9mm with 147grain and still can't shoot for crap... LOL But most of that I blame on the Glock.

So, in my opinion, don't buy a gun based on what you MIGHT be carrying some day...

Also, I thought the Marshall's carried Sigs??

JD

Old 11-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

JD
I thought so as well. Anyway, a big +1 to JD's advice - get the gun you really want and practice with it...

Old 11-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Shooting in general will help you in the end weather it is with your future carry weapon or not. All the fundamentals are the same. Point, shoot and shoot again.

So me I would get a 22semi auto and practice with it and save some money on the gun and ammo.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

JD
The Federal AIR Marshals Service carries the Sig P229R in .357 Sig. Deputy US Marshals carry the Glock 22 (usmarshals.gov says glock 22, but I have also read glock 23)

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Last edited by michigan0626; 11-05-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
So me I would get a 22semi auto and practice with it and save some money on the gun and ammo.
With that statement I would get a 1911 Government and then get a 22LR kit from Marvel Precision.

"Tests from a machine rest have delivered groups around 1.8" at 50 yards ... for 100 shots with inexpensive ammo" from marvelprecision.com

Old 11-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How about a Smith & Wesson M&P or a Springfield XD? They are polymer pistols like the Glock and the trigger has a somewhat similar feel.

I see how transitioning from a single action 1911 to a Glock can cause some problems, but it's nothing that a little practice can't fix.

If you really HATE Glocks, don't get one. Get something else you'll actually enjoy shooting.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 11-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #8

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My 0.02.....if this is a gun for person shooting, then get whatever you want and will have fun shooting, as someone else said any shooting is going to make you a better shot with other guns......besides, if you do get the job you will get to shoot the service gun then why own the same gun for personal use, I would prefer some variety in shooting

Old 11-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The grip angle is much different between a 1911 and a Glock. I shoot a 1911 and a buddy a Glock 21. When I shoot the Glock, my aim upon clearing leather is way off, because I've developed the muscle memory for the 1911's ergonomics. It feels wrong in my hands because there is no grip safety and no safety lever for my right thumb to ride on and no magazine release for my left thumb to sit on.

As much as I hate to say it, you'd be better off training with a Glock, just so you can develop the muscle memory associated with the Glock's ergonomics. It would be best to train with the proper caliber for the agency, but using a .40 S&W, 10mm or .45 ACP would be the best bet. That way if you 'step down' to a 9mm, you're used to the heavier recoil.

I owned a USP in .45 ACP that I shot a lot. When I went to qualify with the M9 for the Army, most of the ergonomics were similar, but the recoil just wasn't there. This, and a quick clear, instead of a mag change, allowed me to qualify Expert with a score of 34 out of 30.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #10

Get what you want and like. You will get a lot of trigger time on the Glock in the academy. They like any other agency do not just hand you a gun and tell you to got shot a qualification with it. +1 to the others comments on any gun training is good training, but be careful to not build bad habits. If you do not have much training with guns, go find a trainer that is good and get some.