Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Homemade holsters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default leather man

truly talented ..nice work .. ? how do you get it to mold to guns shape ....damn near looks like it was vac/pac ..great choice of dyes/coloration it compliments the gun finish and handles /grips well

Old 01-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #12

Looks very good! I've gotten into leather work a little bit and it is really fun!

Old 01-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #13

Liked 1641 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
truly talented ..nice work .. ? how do you get it to mold to guns shape ....damn near looks like it was vac/pac ..great choice of dyes/coloration it compliments the gun finish and handles /grips well
I wrap the gun in the leather and cut around it. I use a tiny drill bit to make the holes for the stitching. Then I use a large upholstery needle to sew it. I have to use plyers to pull the needle through. The light holster is simply dyed with olive oil. The 1911 is a brown stain. I am going to make a double mag holder to go on the belt too. That is my competition gun. It out to really stand out against everybody else's kydex!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #14

Hey Drum Junkie, I have a bunch that look like that too. I just have an addiction to buying pistols. I have probably made about 25 or 30 holsters now. The big break was finding a Tandy leather store with big rolls of leather. I was using small remnants. But when I went on vacation in California I found a real leather store and bought some tools too.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

That's my biggest obstacle. I have a few things but really need to get a bigger set of tools. that revolver rig was actually an accident working on one for another revolver (model 10 smith). I ended up tossing it in a box and when that5 little revolver found it's way her I looked in the box to see if anything would fit it. That belt slide was one of the first I ever tried. It's a real simple design but I left a small piece of leather in one side making it really hard to pull the pistol out unless you are wearing it. I sat with a cup of water and hand rubbed it to make it fit as well as it does now. I have better rigs around now but still like to use that old belt slide. I've bought a few different types of rigs now hoping to use them as some type of pattern for future projects.

I need to find and show off the cross draw. It really works well and is really hard to see once on me. I'll have to get to digging...

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-08-2011, 02:51 AM   #16

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I wrap the gun in the leather and cut around it. I use a tiny drill bit to make the holes for the stitching. Then I use a large upholstery needle to sew it. I have to use plyers to pull the needle through. The light holster is simply dyed with olive oil. The 1911 is a brown stain. I am going to make a double mag holder to go on the belt too. That is my competition gun. It out to really stand out against everybody else's kydex!

Rick,

If I was you I would buy a sewing awl from Tandy rather than using an upholstery needle and pliers. Glass has used hers for the past “couple” (wink) of years and it will really save you time, effort and will be a lot easier on you hands. It is well worth the money about $20 bucks. She now has a Tippman Boss sticher so I expect a lot more from her.

Scubie

Old 01-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #17

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Damn, those are some nice holsters.

One piece of advice though, learn to shoot right handed. I feel your pain 'bout being a lefty in a righty's world though, plus it's a decent way to hustle some mall ninjas out at ranges who have to much of a mouth and ego as opposed to skill.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 01-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #18
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
Damn, those are some nice holsters.

One piece of advice though, learn to shoot right handed. I feel your pain 'bout being a lefty in a righty's world though, plus it's a decent way to hustle some mall ninjas out at ranges who have to much of a mouth and ego as opposed to skill.
Uber you need to wash your mouth out with soap. A man can raise his right hand with a smile and most won't be concerned with the left hand. Even closer if you have to shake hands it is right hands. 80% of the world is right hand, 100 % expect the people they meet are right hand. Being Left hand is an advantage. Shooting strong side left hand is a dream for most CC as the theat is expecting any defense to come from the right hand.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #19

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I shoot pistols both left and right handed. I prefer to do it left handed though.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #20

I do practice right handed as well. But I mainly do it because I feel if I were wounded in my left arm in a fight I had better be able to use the right as well. But when it comes to skill there is no comparison. I shoot with both eyes open. A lot of people have never tried to shoot with their weak side. I would suggest everyone do it just to get a feel for it.

I do have a sewing awl. But it does not give the fine hole that the drill does. Perhaps Glass has a better one. I may need to look around.