Homemade holsters
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Homemade holsters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2015 Times on 1110 Posts
Likes Given: 1345

Default Homemade holsters

I am not sure where to post this...so...

I am left handed. That makes holster purchasing very difficult. I started making my own. I thought I would share a couple of pics. I know several other people here make their own as well. Please post some of your pics too.

Friendly advice is always welcome.

dsc00104.jpg   dsc00103.jpg  

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #2

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Nice work Rick!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice job--wish I had your talent!

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 01-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #4

Default very nice

Rick1967: Sir; very nice

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I recently made a knife sheath and these things take some work and some skill. They definitely look easier to make than they really are. Nice work.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #6

Liked 2015 Times on 1110 Posts
Likes Given: 1345

Thanks Everybody. I am planning on making something for my Contender next. That will be a serious project with that 14 inch barrel on it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:28 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I like to finish the edges by rubbing on some beeswax, then rubbing that with a piece of smooth antler or plastic. I've tried using a wax toilet ring, but haven't been as happy with that. thinking about drilling a hole through a piece of plastic, then sawing through the center of the hole to have a smooth rounded surface. I'll get back after the experiment.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I like to finish the edges by rubbing on some beeswax, then rubbing that with a piece of smooth antler or plastic. I've tried using a wax toilet ring, but haven't been as happy with that. thinking about drilling a hole through a piece of plastic, then sawing through the center of the hole to have a smooth rounded surface. I'll get back after the experiment.

Freefall,

Glasshartt has a tool that fits on a drill and has different size grooves for different thickness of leathers that will smooth edges. Drop her a pm and ask her about it. She does saddles, tack, chaps, and is doing my cowboy action shooting belt and holsters. She is very good.

Scubie.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:33 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Many thanks Scubie, I'll try to figure out how to send a PM.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Wow! yours are sooooo much better than mine. I have a belt slide I made a few years back and have one I made for a small revolver. I'm also left handed so I know your pain. I have a cross draw I made too but for the life of me have no idea where it is. It's in a box someplace as I stopped using it a couple years ago. I use these holsters and have off and on for some years now.

They are notihng fancy but they do work very well. I have a friend making me a shoulder rig got my Super Redhawk. He's a much better leather worker than I am

Yours look very nice Rick. I can easily see you spent a good while getting them how you wanted. And it is not easy. I am hoping to try my hand at a couple more some time pretty soon. Buyt I need some more tools to make them how I want to. I'm hoping to ad a couple revolvers to the stable at some point and want to make a more western rig for them.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson