home protection - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > home protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 224 Times on 148 Posts

Anybody remember watching Magnum P I ? He always carried a 1911 apparently with empty chamber because every time he got in a jam he had to rack the slide.
This is not pertinent to the thread. The cocked and locked debate always reminds me of that old show. Anyway have a good weekend everybody!!!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #52

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Funny how a forum on about "home defense choices" turns into yet another "Glock vs 1911" debate. Either one will kill an intruder dead (as in not breathing) IF in the hands of a competent shooter. (and apparently, 2 years makes you an expert compared to a guy with 30 or 50 years experience LOL!)

If you have a Glock, and you like it. good for you! If you have a 1911. and you like it, good for you too! I think I'll go find a pickup truck forum, so I can watch the Ford and Chevy guys go at it lol

Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #53

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

[QUOTE=weapon;1110479]

Carrying a 1911 like that is just dangerous. They were designed to be carried cocked and locked - I have carried one cocked and locked for 25+ years and I've never had an AD with one.

I have seen a few ADs with Glocks - most recently an undercover officer who was carrying it in a fairly decent holster and upon inserting the Glock into the holster got a bit of material from his shirt caught between the gun and the holster which apparently snagged the trigger and "bang" -- amazingly enough, he wasn't injured.

./QUOTE]

I've had some exposure to ADs from several weapons. A guy who shot himself in the leg while clearing a 1911. Another who shot into a clearing barrel with a Beretta because he charged it before dropping the mag. Another AD with a 1911 being holstered (safety detent was worn and the safety did not stay engaged.) Sig 226 where the shooter did not engage the decocker before reholstering. Glock shot to the head because the guy was drunk and the gun was "unloaded".

In all cases I blame the shooter for not being aware of the operation of the firearm or it's condition, or even sticking with basic safety rules. I don't blame any of the platforms.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

[quote=SSGN_Doc;1110906]

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon View Post

Carrying a 1911 like that is just dangerous. They were designed to be carried cocked and locked - I have carried one cocked and locked for 25+ years and I've never had an AD with one.

I have seen a few ADs with Glocks - most recently an undercover officer who was carrying it in a fairly decent holster and upon inserting the Glock into the holster got a bit of material from his shirt caught between the gun and the holster which apparently snagged the trigger and "bang" -- amazingly enough, he wasn't injured.

./QUOTE]

I've had some exposure to ADs from several weapons. A guy who shot himself in the leg while clearing a 1911. Another who shot into a clearing barrel with a Beretta because he charged it before dropping the mag. Another AD with a 1911 being holstered (safety detent was worn and the safety did not stay engaged.) Sig 226 where the shooter did not engage the decocker before reholstering. Glock shot to the head because the guy was drunk and the gun was "unloaded".

In all cases I blame the shooter for not being aware of the operation of the firearm or it's condition, or even sticking with basic safety rules. I don't blame any of the platforms.
Agreed, but that does not mean all 'platforms' are created equal!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 01-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #55

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon View Post

I wouldn't carry a 1911 unless it was cocked and locked. If you carry it hammer down, you are giving up a decent part of the primary benefit of the 1911 which is speed. Otherwise, you are entirely on point - a series 80 has no safety issues with hammer down carry -- and more firearms companies than I care to name have borrowed that drop safety design.
It's all in how you practice or so "they say".

Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #56

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Funny how a forum on about "home defense choices" turns into yet another "Glock vs 1911" debate. Either one will kill an intruder dead (as in not breathing) IF in the hands of a competent shooter. (and apparently, 2 years makes you an expert compared to a guy with 30 or 50 years experience LOL!)

If you have a Glock, and you like it. good for you! If you have a 1911. and you like it, good for you too! I think I'll go find a pickup truck forum, so I can watch the Ford and Chevy guys go at it lol
I think that's an obtuse assessment of what's going on here. It's a debate about safety, which directly correlates with protection, which is the purpose of this thread. The Glocks and 1911s are simply two well known platforms on different sides of this same line, thus used as examples to make a point about safety.

This discussion has lead to some great information for those interested in using either for their choice of protection, be it home or otherwise.

There are some misleading and misinformed opinions here and there, but they are quelled with facts, helping to further the education on the safety of a particular platform.

But that's just how I chose to see it.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #57

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
All information points to a shotgun being the best home protection firearm for most situations. You have kids on the other side of plaster walls, you do not want to shooting at burglars and killing your own family in the next room, or two rooms over, or your next door neighbor. A 20 ga shotgun will hit what it is aimed at, not missing, and not hurting uninvolved people sleeping in the next room.

Somebody sleeps with an AR ? That round is not defensive, it is offensive. It is made to bust into a house, and sweep all inside, walls or no. Why place your family, your neighbors at such grave danger? Rethink that in my humble opinion. An AR round entering your leg, might come out the top of your head. It goes bizerk once it finds bone, or wood, or plaster, or most anything and changes direction often times. It is going 3,400 feet a second, at a twist, that makes it unpredictable. Great in throw lead combat, piss poor in home and family protection.
Ok first off I got very low powered ammo running though it, I don't think the ammo I am using could even penetrate a wall let alone the two walls it would have to go through to hit anyone. Secondly I know where everyone sleeps and I wouldn't fire it in an unsafe direction. And finally I also have a tomahawk and I know how to use it. Lol

Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #58

Why are people still arguing about what's ''better" anyway?? Especially when it's between glock and 1911..
Glock is a BRAND
1911 is a style/type
That's like one guy saying that a ford is the best.. and the other guy saying "you're dumb! An SUV is best "... in a way, the argument can't even be justified as an argument!!
Maybe glock should make a 1911 . Then everyone would be so confused ha ha ha

Just my (what everyone will say is wrong ) opinion

Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #59

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock

Its not about the firearms. Anybody in LE can tell you about high stress situations or just plain stupidity where somebody pulled the trigger unintentionally on a pistol without some manual safety. Guess what? Pull the trigger, gun go BANG! Simple right? If you prefer glocks that's your opinion. But don't go around bashing and belittling others opinions on here. Just makes you look assenine.
I don't prefer glocks. But bashing someone's opinion is exactly what he was doing. So I merely inquired where/ what kind of experience he had. I truly meant no disrespect. Just tried to prove a point.

Plus I'm sure there are plenty of people who have shot themselves with a gun that had a manual safety as well

Old 01-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #60
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2128 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymmonds View Post
I don't prefer glocks. But bashing someone's opinion is exactly what he was doing. So I merely inquired where/ what kind of experience he had. I truly meant no disrespect. Just tried to prove a point.

Plus I'm sure there are plenty of people who have shot themselves with a gun that had a manual safety as well
Usually when the flick off the safety and put their finger on the trigger before it is out of the holster.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.