home protection - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > home protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2042 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

I like the table!
Ikea actually lol

Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #32

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

S&W sd9ve 9mm for my walkin around weapon

Taurus pt840 40s&w with tlr2s, h&r pardoner pump protector and my 16" ar for home protection

Old 01-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #33

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj84
Glock are just plain badass.
That explains why any major action shooting competition in the country is either dominated by the 1911 or the rules handicap the 1911 designs so that DA/SA or safe action pistols can compete against it in the hands of the vast majority of shooters.

Novel concept: pistols are possibly reliable, accurate and durable. The highly trained and practiced shooter holding it adds the badass part to the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

WRONG!! And I personally know SEVERAL people with holes in their bodies to prove it!!!!
Carrying a Glock is like carrying a 1911 cocked with the safety OFF!!!
ROFL. Who has been lying to you? "Like a cocked and locked 1911 with the safety off" -- ummm...yeah, give or take about 5mm of trigger movement on every shot while fighting +2.5lbs of crunchy Glock trigger, a half mile of reset, dealing with polymer frame flex and constantly shifting below-bore weight due to expended rounds. I have no idea what 1911 you shot to reach that conclusion but if I had to bet money on it, I would guess it was in a smart phone app...maybe one you saw once in a gun magazine.

Last edited by weapon; 01-25-2013 at 06:49 AM.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #34

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj84 View Post
I have a night glock and a day glock.
Lmao, i had a day and night 1911 one had a rail for light and night sights and the other was plain jane colt xse

Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1977 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon View Post
That explains why any major action shooting competition in the country is either dominated by the 1911 or the rules handicap the 1911 designs so that DA/SA or safe action pistols can compete against it in the hands of the vast majority of shooters.

Novel concept: pistols are possibly reliable, accurate and durable. The highly trained and practiced shooter holding it adds the badass part to the equation.

ROFL. Who has been lying to you? "Like a cocked and locked 1911 with the safety off" -- ummm...yeah, give or take about 5mm of trigger movement on every shot while fighting +2.5lbs of crunchy Glock trigger, a half mile of reset, dealing with polymer frame flex and constantly shifting below-bore weight due to expended rounds. I have no idea what 1911 you shot to reach that conclusion but if I had to bet money on it, I would guess it was in a smart phone app...maybe one you saw once in a gun magazine.
If you want to deny reality so be it ( you are the prime example of the indoctrination I referred to). Just 50+ years of experience here, and you??? But there are three LEO's whom I know personally who shot themselves with Glocks while carrying off duty w/o a proper holster.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 01-25-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #36

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

My opinion is if it doesn't have a manual safety I won't carry it. I don't care about built in safeties and GLOCK safe triggers blah blah blah. Anything could get caught inside the trigger guard and pull the trigger. I want something that won't allow me to pull that trigger until my sights are on target. My training is that my thumb flicks off the safety only after my sights are on target.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #37

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

If you want to deny reality so be it ( you are the prime example of the indoctrination I referred to). Just 50+ years of experience here, and you??? But there are three LEO's whom I know personally who shot themselves with Glocks while carrying off duty w/o a proper holster.
What sort of experience do you have?

I don't mean to down play you, but I know people who have been hunting their whole lives. Yet somehow I know more about firearms then they do. With just only 2 years of experience.

I mean no disrespect, but just because you have 50+ years of experience means you know more about firearms then others....

Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymmonds View Post

What sort of experience do you have?

I don't mean to down play you, but I know people who have been hunting their whole lives. Yet somehow I know more about firearms then they do. With just only 2 years of experience.

I mean no disrespect, but just because you have 50+ years of experience means you know more about firearms then others....
Its not about the firearms. Anybody in LE can tell you about high stress situations or just plain stupidity where somebody pulled the trigger unintentionally on a pistol without some manual safety. Guess what? Pull the trigger, gun go BANG! Simple right? If you prefer glocks that's your opinion. But don't go around bashing and belittling others opinions on here. Just makes you look assenine.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon View Post

2.5 lbs??? U realize that's a flinch in my trigger finger?? Most DA pistols have five to six pound trigger pull

Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #40
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Wow is there a lot of bickering going on. Everyone has an opinion and they are usually different in some degree. There is an interesting video on you tube where a guy was killed in a store robbery because he forgot to flick the safety off. Poor training, obviously along with panic. Like it or not panic does enter into a lot of encounters and training can go out the window. I have to concede the light Glock trigger does not appear to be the best in a panic situation but manual safeties can be dangerous too. What the consensus is building to is a double action trigger at least on the first pull. One reason why some people like revolvers.
The 55 grain 5.56x45 round will tumble and lose velocity quickly and actually has less penetration than a 9mm in sheet rock walls. The link below has some interesting info on walls and pentration plus it is a fun site.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."