Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > home protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

Sorry, BTB, but I gotta I call B.S. on this! The Glock trigger is just as safe as any DA revolver.

I wouldn't own a Gock if it had a manual safety. I consider manual safeties useless on any auto other than a SA.
Couldn't disagree more. I own a Glock 30. I love the trigger because it is SA like in length, which is why I won't use it for protection without manual safeties. Been trying to give it to my brother for a while, but need him to get back to the state cuz I'm not paying for shipping of a gun, it's extremely high and my local FFL won't do transfers anymore. Small town, go figure...

Bottom line is I will never accept anyone saying any gun is safe without use of manual safety or hammer uncocked/decocked. I know I'm in a minority there, but I believe it very, very firmly. To each their own of course, I have no say in gun you carry our how you carry it, I can only hope nothing bad happens.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #22

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I think DAO is the best trigger system for most people, at least for your go-to gun when something goes bump in the night. I have an XDm 45acp with CT lightguard and CT lasergrip next to my bed at al times!

The 1911 SAO trigger is AWESOME, but unless you plan on training so much that removing the thumb safety is super automatic for your hand, I wouldn't trust it for waking up in the middle of the night. I love my S&W 1911, though!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
JimRau Likes This 
Old 01-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #23
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 759 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 365

The single action is my personal favorite, I have shot Glocks I like the way they handle love the sights but at the risk of starting a firestorm how the hell is that little lever on the trigger any form of a safety?
If you pull the trigger it goes bang! My SA cocked and locked safety on if you pull the trigger nothing happens! I see that as a viable safety. But on the Glock I can see no difference whether the "safety lever" is there or not! If I were to tape the lever down I see no difference as far as safety is concerned. I am asking this seriously not to criticize but I just don't get it!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #24

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Somebody sleeps with an AR ? That round is not defensive, it is offensive. It is made to bust into a house, and sweep all inside, walls or no. Why place your family, your neighbors at such grave danger? Rethink that in my humble opinion. An AR round entering your leg, might come out the top of your head. It goes bizerk once it finds bone, or wood, or plaster, or most anything and changes direction often times. It is going 3,400 feet a second, at a twist, that makes it unpredictable. Great in throw lead combat, piss poor in home and family protection.
Not to get this thread too off topic but knee-jerk disinformation needs to be kept in check. If you are talking about using an M855 SS109 Penetrator as a home defense round, yes, that would be a problem but who would even consider using an FMJ rifle round for home defense? No one...at least no one with any sense whatsoever.

Hornady 223 Remington, 40 gr. TAP URBAN
Bare Gelatin:
Total Penetration: Seven (yes, 7) inches
Depth of Max Cavity: Three inches
http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/223-remington/40-gr-tap-urban

If you jump up to the .223 55gr. TAP URBAN:
Bare Gelatin:
Total Penetration: 10"
Depth of Max Cavity: 5"
http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/223-remington/55-gr-tap-urban

In the same gelatin, a 230gr 45acp HydraShok averages about 12" penetration.

Have you ever test fired a 9mm, a .40 or a .45 into 5/8" sheets of sheetrock/drywall with a 2-3" gap between each sheet? The idea that a family member in the next room is somehow safer with any of those rounds than with 55gr TAP is complete nonsense. If you use standard drywall and space it right at 2-3" apart, a Winchester Ranger SXT 9mm, +P+, 127 grain will penetrate 12 sheets of drywall and keep going (12 sheets is the equivalent of SIX interior walls). Just about any .40 S&W or .45ACP JHP will do the same. A .22 pistol loaded with 40gr HP ammo will penetrate 6 sheets of 5/8" drywall -- that's basically the same as 3 interior walls.

The long-story-made-short version: your family member on the other side of one, two, three or maybe even six interior walls is not safe if you are using any serious self defense round and no one should think otherwise just because they are using a pistol for home defense (even if it is a .22).

Lastly, the mythical tales of magically tumbling 5.56 bullets are for the most part mythical and entirely mythical since the upgrade to 1:7 twist. If you check the recent reports from Afghanistan, there is a problem with the current issue FMJ rounds and the 1:7 twist as it makes the bullets incredibly stable in flight and also once they hit an unarmored human target. In fact, they zip right through and keep on going while creating an extremely small wound channel. As such, US soldiers are often having to shoot insurgents 7 to 9 times to get them to drop. As an interesting side note, if you shoot layers of drywall with 5.56mm XM193 with a 1:7 twist, you will in fact see the round tumble -- it starts to tumble after it has cleared the equivalent of 3 interior walls.

back on topic.
Bedside pistol for the night: custom P-14...yes, another 1911 variant. Single action trigger at 4lbs, 14+1 capacity. All the reasons previously mentioned for the using the 1911 with a twice the capacity bonus.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1590 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Sorry, BTB, but I gotta I call B.S. on this! The Glock trigger is just as safe as any DA revolver.

I wouldn't own a Gock if it had a manual safety. I consider manual safeties useless on any auto other than a SA.
WRONG!! And I personally know SEVERAL people with holes in their bodies to prove it!!!!
Carrying a Glock is like carrying a 1911 cocked with the safety OFF!!!
Just reality and common sense. If you carry a Glock YOU MUST carry it in a holster which covers the trigger AT ALL TIMES!
A TRUE double action pistol/revolver REQUIRES a long hard pull to initiate the first shot (and with DAO every shot). Just a fact here. The only thing Glock is better at than many other manufacturers is marketing/indoctrination.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Glock are just plain badass.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #27

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj84 View Post
Glock are just plain badass.
Nah they're just bad. You want bad ass get a 1911 chambered in. 45 acp

Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

To the OP: Of the options listed, I prefer the M&P full size 9mm. I would rather use a medium framed da/sa revolver, though (love the gp 100).

Mike

Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1740 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 345

This is my castle defense trio. There are others, but these are my go-to guys.

.40 S&W Ruger SR40 180 gr jhp

Ruger 10/22 carbine with 25 rd mags .22LR

Remington 870 Express w/ 12 gauge XXX buckshot

image-3390739412.jpg   image-3439351464.jpg  

Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #30

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
This is my castle defense trio. There are others, but these are my go-to guys.

.40 S&W Ruger SR40 180 gr jhp

Ruger 10/22 carbine with 25 rd mags .22LR

Remington 870 Express w/ 12 gauge XXX buckshot
I like the table!