home protection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > home protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

Default home protection

Home protection?

1911 style? Sao
Sig/Hk style? Da/Sa
Glock/m&p style? Safe action double.

Which do you prefer and why?

Just out of those types. No shotguns/rifles.

spit hell fire

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have a night glock and a day glock.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would go with the Glock. But it all comes down to training and preference. I sleep with my AR...

Old 01-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #4

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Those Glock type triggers are not safe without the employ of a manual safety to ensure! I find it so absurd that people convince themselves that this is at all a safety feature. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

I'm pro 1911esque and DA/SA. I can't really choose between the two. Most would say that a consistent trigger pull, whether DAO or SAO, is better than something that has both, but for me the first shot being a longer pull is fine, its the subsequent shots that must be immediate and short. So, again, either would suit ya fine and would be my recommendation.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

My SIG P229 is by my bedside.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #6

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My bedside gun is a Glock 19 with 130 lumen light & manual trigger safety. A quick touch shoots out the trigger guard & she goes bang. I carry an M&P because of the manual thumb safety. If Glock made one, I'd get rid of the M&P in a heartbeat.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

My M&P 40 is right next to me when I sleep. Because there's no safety to worry about if I'm woke up in the middle of the night. I practice safe gun handling daily, so my muscle memory would save me from potential accidents. And it has a rail with my gun light/laser on it to blind the intruder and give me a relative idea of where I'm aiming

Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

Usually a 1911...sometimes a Commander (both in .45acp). I have Sig, Beretta, Ruger, S&W, etc. DA/SA pistols and Glocks as well but I can shoot the 1911 design a bit more quickly and more accurately than the others. Of course, there is also a tactical flashlight, an AR with an Aimpoint and a M590 not too far from the bed...

Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 962 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 229

All information points to a shotgun being the best home protection firearm for most situations. You have kids on the other side of plaster walls, you do not want to shooting at burglars and killing your own family in the next room, or two rooms over, or your next door neighbor. A 20 ga shotgun will hit what it is aimed at, not missing, and not hurting uninvolved people sleeping in the next room.

Somebody sleeps with an AR ? That round is not defensive, it is offensive. It is made to bust into a house, and sweep all inside, walls or no. Why place your family, your neighbors at such grave danger? Rethink that in my humble opinion. An AR round entering your leg, might come out the top of your head. It goes bizerk once it finds bone, or wood, or plaster, or most anything and changes direction often times. It is going 3,400 feet a second, at a twist, that makes it unpredictable. Great in throw lead combat, piss poor in home and family protection.

Last edited by AR10; 01-22-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #10

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
All information points to a shotgun being the best home protection firearm for most situations. You have kids on the other side of plaster walls, you do not want to shooting at burglars and killing your own family in the next room, or two rooms over, or your next door neighbor. A 20 ga shotgun will hit what it is aimed at, not missing, and not hurting uninvolved people sleeping in the next room.

Somebody sleeps with an AR ? That round is not defensive, it is offensive. It is made to bust into a house, and sweep all inside, walls or no. Why place your family, your neighbors at such grave danger? Rethink that in my humble opinion. An AR round entering your leg, might come out the top of your head. It goes bizerk once it finds bone, or wood, or plaster, or most anything and changes direction often times. It is going 3,400 feet a second, at a twist, that makes it unpredictable. Great in throw lead combat, piss poor in home and family protection.
Shotguns are excellent home defense weapons, but 00 buckshot can easily pass through walls. Never had a 20ga, but I keep low recoil #4 shot in my 12ga. I agree with your thoughts on the AR, but where are you getting .223 ammo @ 3400 FPS? I shoot cheap stuff that hits the muzzle around 2900 FPS. Regardless. At that velocity I'm not sure of the relevance of your twist & predictability statement given typical room distances. Nonetheless, An AR is a very poor choice for home defense IMO.