Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   home protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/home-protection-82105/)

niteglock 01-22-2013 04:58 AM

home protection

Home protection?

1911 style? Sao
Sig/Hk style? Da/Sa
Glock/m&p style? Safe action double.

Which do you prefer and why?

Just out of those types. No shotguns/rifles.

cj84 01-22-2013 05:28 AM

I have a night glock and a day glock.

GhostUSA556 01-22-2013 05:46 AM

I would go with the Glock. But it all comes down to training and preference. I sleep with my AR...

BeyondTheBox 01-22-2013 05:59 AM

Those Glock type triggers are not safe without the employ of a manual safety to ensure! I find it so absurd that people convince themselves that this is at all a safety feature. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

I'm pro 1911esque and DA/SA. I can't really choose between the two. Most would say that a consistent trigger pull, whether DAO or SAO, is better than something that has both, but for me the first shot being a longer pull is fine, its the subsequent shots that must be immediate and short. So, again, either would suit ya fine and would be my recommendation.

drvsafe 01-22-2013 06:14 AM

My SIG P229 is by my bedside.

danolator 01-22-2013 06:17 AM

My bedside gun is a Glock 19 with 130 lumen light & manual trigger safety. A quick touch shoots out the trigger guard & she goes bang. I carry an M&P because of the manual thumb safety. If Glock made one, I'd get rid of the M&P in a heartbeat.

psymmonds 01-22-2013 06:20 AM

My M&P 40 is right next to me when I sleep. Because there's no safety to worry about if I'm woke up in the middle of the night. I practice safe gun handling daily, so my muscle memory would save me from potential accidents. And it has a rail with my gun light/laser on it to blind the intruder and give me a relative idea of where I'm aiming

weapon 01-22-2013 07:28 AM

Usually a 1911...sometimes a Commander (both in .45acp). I have Sig, Beretta, Ruger, S&W, etc. DA/SA pistols and Glocks as well but I can shoot the 1911 design a bit more quickly and more accurately than the others. Of course, there is also a tactical flashlight, an AR with an Aimpoint and a M590 not too far from the bed...

AR10 01-22-2013 08:31 AM

All information points to a shotgun being the best home protection firearm for most situations. You have kids on the other side of plaster walls, you do not want to shooting at burglars and killing your own family in the next room, or two rooms over, or your next door neighbor. A 20 ga shotgun will hit what it is aimed at, not missing, and not hurting uninvolved people sleeping in the next room.

Somebody sleeps with an AR ? That round is not defensive, it is offensive. It is made to bust into a house, and sweep all inside, walls or no. Why place your family, your neighbors at such grave danger? Rethink that in my humble opinion. An AR round entering your leg, might come out the top of your head. It goes bizerk once it finds bone, or wood, or plaster, or most anything and changes direction often times. It is going 3,400 feet a second, at a twist, that makes it unpredictable. Great in throw lead combat, piss poor in home and family protection.

danolator 01-22-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR10
All information points to a shotgun being the best home protection firearm for most situations. You have kids on the other side of plaster walls, you do not want to shooting at burglars and killing your own family in the next room, or two rooms over, or your next door neighbor. A 20 ga shotgun will hit what it is aimed at, not missing, and not hurting uninvolved people sleeping in the next room.

Somebody sleeps with an AR ? That round is not defensive, it is offensive. It is made to bust into a house, and sweep all inside, walls or no. Why place your family, your neighbors at such grave danger? Rethink that in my humble opinion. An AR round entering your leg, might come out the top of your head. It goes bizerk once it finds bone, or wood, or plaster, or most anything and changes direction often times. It is going 3,400 feet a second, at a twist, that makes it unpredictable. Great in throw lead combat, piss poor in home and family protection.

Shotguns are excellent home defense weapons, but 00 buckshot can easily pass through walls. Never had a 20ga, but I keep low recoil #4 shot in my 12ga. I agree with your thoughts on the AR, but where are you getting .223 ammo @ 3400 FPS? I shoot cheap stuff that hits the muzzle around 2900 FPS. Regardless. At that velocity I'm not sure of the relevance of your twist & predictability statement given typical room distances. Nonetheless, An AR is a very poor choice for home defense IMO.