Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Home Defense handgun - fun range shooter? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/home-defense-handgun-fun-range-shooter-34393/)

iftrue 11-14-2010 10:01 PM

Home Defense handgun - fun range shooter?

I currently own a S+W 9mm M+P compact, and I'm looking for a new fun gun for the range and home defense. After hitting the range a few times, being stuck with limited magazines in a home defense situation just seems crazy.

Can anyone recommend some guns I should take a look at are especially fun to take to a range?

billdeserthills 11-14-2010 10:34 PM

If you likey 9mm, Centerfire had some H&K USP 9mm under $500
I also got a New Taurus Judge for way under $400...

Gojubrian 11-14-2010 10:57 PM

CZ75b...............nuff said. Unless you want to spend a couple hundo more, then get a hi-power. :)

CHLChris 11-14-2010 11:46 PM

I know! You wouldn't want to be caught without 17+1 and 10 extra mags arrayed across the nightstand. Usually the bad guys in my neighborhood come in packs.

Jokes aside, since you said defense AND a plinker, 9mm seems like the best bet.

So Hi-Power is the only way to go (well, there are thousands of other ways, but you asked...). It is a double-stack in cold hard steel. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

misterballistic 11-15-2010 04:34 AM

You already have a 9mm semi-auto.

You want fun for the range and an awesome home defence handgun? .357 Magnum revolver.

Old school? Yes. But so fun at the range and you can also shoot cheap .38 specials instead of .357 for target shooting. Not to mention a nice stainless .357 stands out at the range amidst the sea of "me too" black polymers. Gotta love the sound of the ka-boom, and light show of flash through the barrel and cylinder, of a .357 Magnum!

For home defence you can't get any simpler than a revolver. No safeties to worry about, no need to worry about FTF's, FTE's, and a smooth trigger pull. Get a 4" barrel so it's not too unwieldy but still gives you enough barrel to compensate for the .357 Magnum recoil.

One drawback to most revolvers, aside from capacity limitation and weight, is that they typically don't have rails to mount lights. One of the exceptions, however, is the scary looking S&W Performance Center Model M&P R8.

However since you're asking for a multitasker in a fun range toy and a competent defence handgun, and you already have a polymer semi, you might want to think about a nice revolver.

NGIB 11-15-2010 11:45 AM

I agree that every collection needs to include a 4 inch .357 Magnum revolver. I can't think of a more versatile gun that can serve a variety of purposes...

DrJason 11-15-2010 12:34 PM

iftrue, since you already have the M&P 9c and I assume you like it you should look at the M&P 9pro, longer barrel and lighter trigger pull than the full size 9, awesome range gun and home defense gun, I have one of each, they compliment each other nicely

JonM 11-15-2010 01:26 PM

i got rid of my last revolver a couple months ago it was a ruger single six in 22lr and 22winmag. i think my next handgun may be a colt python if i ever come across one at a gun show in good condition for cheap enough.

its not a good home defense gun but i have a blast at the range with my sig mosquito.

hogrider 11-15-2010 03:52 PM

Make that 3 for a .357 magnum.

HKSlinger 11-16-2010 12:46 AM

[QUOTE=billdeserthills;386389]If you likey 9mm, Centerfire had some H&K USP 9mm under $500
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds good to me.